StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Powder Coated Woes…Still!

• Powder Coated Woes…Still!

Posted by katie8770 on February 16, 2021 at 11:25 pm

Hi All,

Well, I’ve had my powder coated pole now since October-ish and my skin is still not adjusting to it. Tonight my leg literally started bleeding! Ugh!

I LOVE that I have super grip, so no slippery problems like the Chrome (as you may remember all my postings here from before). But man, the pole burn x10000000 and now the second time my skin has bled.

I practice twice a week because my skin needs to heal in-between. I remember at class (its been so long now because of studio closures due to the pandemic) being all bruised up from the brass poles, but it’s definitely worse on the powder coated.

Is it normal to only be able to practice twice a week due to the extreme damage to your skin? I’ve been poling for over 2 years now!! I don’t get why I have so much trouble. It’s very frustrating.

I get maybe 3 tries in for a particular combo and then I need to stop because I’m just in too much pain.

Cheers!

katie8770 replied 3 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • PoleAdventures

February 17, 2021 at 2:55 pm

Hey Katie

I think powder coated poles are not meant to dance with skin, instead to dance in clothes. Although there are different powder coated poles, but if your skin is bleeding that is not what we want.
    For dancing with skin contact you willl better use a titanium gold or brass pole. See Veenas extra video with tipp for all the different pole finish.

• katie8770

February 17, 2021 at 3:37 pm

I sold my chrome pole because of slipping problems, and powder coated was recommended to me. Brass was too expensive. No one had told me powder coated was meant to be used with clothes? I have private at-home classes once a week with my pole teacher right now because of the pandemic and she has never said to wear clothes with it. It’s an x-pole BTW.

• PoleAdventures

February 17, 2021 at 4:47 pm

Has the pole a “rough” surface or is it a smooth surface? If it is rough, then you have a powder coated finish that is used with clothes.
    But I think the smooth powder coated pole should not led to bleeding skin.

• katie8770

February 17, 2021 at 6:03 pm

It’s smooth! I hadn’t done any inside leg hangs on my left leg in over 6 months I think. It was really irritating my leg, lots of bruising and pole burn. One too many practices and it started bleeding.

• amelia2000

February 17, 2021 at 8:04 pm

Sounds like you have very sensitive skin 🙁
    Powder coated is supposed to be painful for drops and some static stuff.
    I’ve got a powder coated pole now too, but what you describe doesn’t sound normal at all.

You could try dividing up training, so have a session where you focus on hands-only moves and wear leggings and a top and focus on conditioning (static spins, tucks, straddles, pull ups etc) So you’re training but not making stuff worse. And tricks in pole wear on other days. I like doing exotic style too so I can wear leggings (this is usually first thing after warming up in my session to get sticky legs)

• katie8770

February 17, 2021 at 8:47 pm

Yeah 🙁 I’ve always bruised easily, even on the brass poles in class. And PAINFUL bruises. My teacher told me my pole at home is very painful. When she shows me stuff here she tells me it hurts her too. It’s very frustrating because I can only practice my routine 3 times and then I need to stop because of the skin damage.

• PoleAdventures

February 17, 2021 at 9:01 pm

Oh my that sounds painful. I’m really sorry for you. What if you buy some sticky clothes for pole dance and use them for a while? Or you look around for a second pole maybe someone sells her unused pole?
    I had the same slippery problem with my chrome pole, but now after buying a titanium gold I feel very fine with it. Also it gets better with more grip strength.

• katie8770

February 17, 2021 at 9:43 pm

After selling my first and buying this one a 3rd one just isn’t possible. I think maybe the sticky clothes might be an option. Its been so long now since the studio was open I know I’m just forgetting how bad my skin was on brass but I’ve always had issues. I guess I just wasn’t “meant” to pole. Ugh. I was always told it would get better but after 2 years it doesn’t look like it! 🙁

• Veena

Administrator
    February 17, 2021 at 10:41 pm

If a pole is very sticky it will be super important to be “on” with your placement. If you’ve been sliding into position or shifting around that can cause more pain. This is why I don’t suggest a pole wrap, brass and some powder coating to beginner dancers. Not saying you’re a beginner, I don’t know your skill level. But making sure you’re really sure of your points of contact is helpful. These is no perfect pole finish imo.

• katie8770

February 18, 2021 at 1:44 pm

Thank you 🙂