StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Poling and Keto

• Poling and Keto

Posted by Karen DJ on February 12, 2018 at 5:49 pm

So like many of us I’m sure, I’m using poling not only for fun, education and a kickass workout, but to lose weight and trim up. It’s working, but I hit a plateau and there’s not much more I can do in the diet department because I already do so much healthy stuff that you’d probably get bored reading the list. So long story short, I’m starting a keto diet. Things were going really well and I was already starting to lose a little just five days in, but I was practicing last night and banged my calf off the pole. Instead of it feeling like it normally might, it turned into a fierce Charley Horse (muscle cramp).

Normally I only get those at night, and since I upped my daily water intake I hadn’t in months, so this was weird. In addition, ironically, I bought a supplement for magnesium, calcium and was researching how to get enough potassium, since the foods I’m cutting out include those needed nutrients and I saw my multivitamin wasn’t giving me enough. Charley Horses are caused by dehydration and lack of potassium. I was not dehydrated.

The one I was really stuck on was the potassium, and this is why I’m posting this information. Potassium is needed to keep electrolyte levels up- super important with athletes- but supplements are limited to the 5% daily recommendation. You HAVE to get it with food, which would mean eating lots of bananas and potatoes every day, which are too high in carbs, or eating salmon, avocadoes, spinach only. It’s a really confusing thing, because this mineral is really important for us in a tough sport like this, but really hard to get.

Any tips from anyone who’s been through this? Or any input or food for though? (Sorry bad pun lol)

Karen DJ replied 6 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Allison Erin

February 12, 2018 at 7:00 pm

The internet says squash is also high in potassium (winter/acorn squash in particular). This definitely is lower in carbs than banana and potato, but not sure if it would work with your keto diet (never done that myself since my body totally needs carbs). Potassium definitely makes a difference, though! I never got Charley Horses, but have had issues with muscles shaking and twitching, and it’s gotten much better since I’ve started eating bananas and dried apricots regularly on training days. I’ve also started cooking soups with more beans and potatoes. The most annoying part to me of trying to get more potassium is it’s often not included on nutrition labels! So I’ve done a lot of potassium-related Googling. Haha.

• Allison Erin

February 12, 2018 at 7:15 pm

Ah, more searching has revealed that zucchini is also high in potassium, and that’s even lower in carbs than acorn squash (and I think are regularly included in keto diets). =)

• cgs1961

February 13, 2018 at 12:11 am

I’m following the Keto way of eating and sometimes I get cramps because I haven’t taken in enough salt. I’ll sip some salted water or take a salt tablet/capsule. I usually eat a whole avocado every day. I know you’re referencing potassium but it may be low sodium.

• Karen DJ

February 13, 2018 at 3:39 am

Thanks for the research! I made myself a spaghetti squash for the next few days for myself, ate an avocado today, but didn’t know about zucchini! Yum! Yes, I saw the low sodium thing too. I’m supposed to be on a low sodium diet, but I’m upping it for keto reasons. I drank pickle juice after my leg hurt.

Good news today I had almost no cramping when poling! I’ll figure this out I’m sure, but it’s seriously concerning for people who may not even know.