StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Newbie looking for support

• Newbie looking for support

Posted by PolesAndMotorcycles on April 2, 2018 at 11:40 am

Hi there! New to this site and to pole.
    My name is Sam, I am 26 and I am from Nova Scotia, Canada. I pole and ride motorcyles for fun and I work as a Registered Nurse.

I am looking for some help regarding the pole itself. I purchased a 7 year old Lil Mynx stainless steel pole secondhand. The pole itself I feel functions well considering how old it is – the button to switch from static to pole is a little loose but that’s all I have to say structure wise.

My teacher has a chrome X-pole. I struggle HARD with grip on both. I am pretty sure after reading all your lovely discussions that this is due to my hyperhidrosis in my hands. I have to wipe down the pole and apply grip after EVERY spin. It is frustrating for me, even though I know i am new because I have lifted weights for 8 years and I know its not a strength issue.

I have been thinking about biting the bullet and ordering a pole. However, I don’t really have any friends that also do this, and there is virtually nothing online about poles! Aside from this site and a few others, it really seems to be a “word of mouth” kind of sport!

Would you please help me decide on a pole for my sweaty situation? I was thinking about ordering a TG or brass pole from X-pole, however I read the thread from 2011 on this site that some ladies were having issues with the company & quality so I am hesitant to shell out $600 for a pole that I am not confident in.

Somebody also mentioned “Action Poles” who are a canadian company that I only heard of just now…I went to their website and there really isnt much info about them, nor could I find any reviews ANYWHERE.

Help!

Sam

PolesAndMotorcycles replied 6 years ago 5 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    April 2, 2018 at 4:08 pm

Hi and welcome! Go with brass!!! TG is not good for sweaty brass seems to work best….for most, there are exceptions of course!

I really enjoy my brass xpole πŸ™‚

• PolesAndMotorcycles

April 2, 2018 at 8:11 pm

Thank you for the welcome and also your feedback about your brass pole! What are your thoughts about powder coated? I see this website has them on sale but I also want a pole that will last and also deals with my sweaty faucets for hands lol

https://www.polefitnessdancingshop.com/product/x-pert-x-pole-powder-coated-pink-black-pole-dance-pole-kit-2/

• Veena

Administrator
    April 2, 2018 at 8:18 pm

Brass is still best for sweat, it’s not perfect either but chrome, Titanium and powder coated all can get slick fast with sweaty hands (for many dancers, there’s always exceptions) You will also want to use an antiperspirant grip aid. Avoid grip aids that are waxy or meant to help with dryness!

• PolesAndMotorcycles

April 2, 2018 at 8:21 pm

Ahh gotcha. Well that was super helpful! Thank you πŸ™‚

I use a combo of “Liquid Grip” and “dry hands” on the stainless steel pole (so slippery even when warmed up lol) I have the itac 4 and tite grip coming in the mail because I was getting so frustrated!

Do you have any recommendations for antiperspirant grip aid? I use dehydral on my hands (OTC ointment) nightly.

• Veena

Administrator
    April 2, 2018 at 8:32 pm

Don’t use itac it will end up leaving your hands greasy!!! That product is better for people with dry hands. Also avoid …I love it but it’s not good for sweaty hands.

Dry hands, like you use and Grrrip, not sure if they still make it though, Tight grip I’ve heard is good, you could try mighty grip too.

• Vicki Lee

April 3, 2018 at 4:16 pm

Hello Veena! I was wondering what would be a good grip aid that doesn’t make your hands super powdery. I had a sample of pole grip that came in the mail with my x-pole and it made me look ashy when it dried up haha. A friend of mine recommended for all over the body. And I don’t have super clammy hands but would like a grip aid specifically for them. Any help will do thanks!

• emmasculator

April 3, 2018 at 7:17 pm

Dry hands doesn’t make my hands super powdery if I do not overdo it. Dew point I feel is better if your skin is ever so dry and in need a little tacky moisture, like the tack you get when your about to start sweating. Sometimes I used and dry hands on my hands at the same time and that seems to give me the best of both worlds with grip and not looking chalky.

• Vicki Lee

April 3, 2018 at 10:09 pm

Thank you so much @emmasculator! I’ll definitely go ahead and buy both now that I’m sure. πŸ™‚ I was going to buy Dew points sample pack but, I know if I don’t lotion up my skin is pretty dry so I’ll get the ultra grip along with the Dry hands. How long do both last for you?

• emmasculator

April 3, 2018 at 10:16 pm

Oooh I recommend that ultra! It works really well for my rather dry skin. And I usually can get away with one application. However if I’m really doing something strenuous or nervous I’ll have to reapply on 2 or 3 times in an hour for my hands. My hands tend to need more to applications than my body. Usually one application is good for my body for an hour to 2 hours.

• Vicki Lee

April 3, 2018 at 11:31 pm

I’m sorry my wording wasn’t quite clear I actually meant how long do the supplies last you before you have to stock up again? Γ°ΕΈΛœβ€¦ But thats informative as well

• emmasculator

April 4, 2018 at 4:39 pm

Nope your wording was clear! I’m a derp sometimes. A bottle of dry hands (the one ounce bottle) lasts me a little over a year I believe. Dew point I think a little less than a year for the 4.5 ounce bottle. And this is with weekly poling.

• Vicki Lee

April 4, 2018 at 5:11 pm

Ok awesome! I just bought a 2-pack of dry hands (it was the only one available for Amazon Prime), and a 2.5 oz. bottle of Ultra I’m excited. I’ll get the dry hands by Friday and the dew probably by Monday. I was practicing my pole holds and could tell I NEED grip to cheat my muscle strength up.

• dustbunny

April 5, 2018 at 1:46 pm

@PolesandMotorcycles Hello from Ontario! *waves*
    I also have sweaty hyper hydrosis hands and get frustrated easily some days when I pole. I use a chrome pole but with lots of isopropyl alcohol and grip aids! Lol. I use on my legs because I often find they are dry even though my hands are soaked. Then I wash that off my hands and apply Dirty Girl Poletice. That has been one of the best products for me. If i find that’s not quite doing it adding a little Tite Grip on top usually will work. I also have Mighty Grip gloves for those humid summer days when nothing will stop the sweat pouring out of my hands. I have tried so many different grips over the years; Mighty Grip, Dry Hands, Itac, and others but none of it works for more than a couple minutes at best (if at all). I had all but almost given up poling when I found Dirty Girl. I am currently waiting on a shipment of Girlie Grip and I will try that one too and see how it goes.
    If you do purchase a differently finished pole I’d love to hear how it works for you as I’ve been curious to try brass and powder coated for the same reasons as you, chrome and stainless are slippery as F@ck! I’ve tried TG and found it no different than chrome.
    Goodluck!

• PolesAndMotorcycles

April 17, 2018 at 10:47 pm

Thanks @dustbunny! *waves back*

So just an update – I did sell my SS pole and got an x pole – it has made a big difference. Yeah, I still crush the grip aids and wipe it down like its my J O B but I can do a few spins now in between in stead of just one or not any at all.

• PolesAndMotorcycles

April 17, 2018 at 10:47 pm

oops i meant to add BRASS x pole πŸ˜€