StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions My thoughts on #notastripper

• Sayra

January 7, 2016 at 9:22 pm

Thanks for leaving this one as viewable on Periscope. I tried to tune it, but my cell signal isn’t good enough at work (although it let me leave random hearts). Looking forward to watching tonight.

• Ultema

January 7, 2016 at 11:18 pm

lordy lord the discussion on there, you have the patience of a saint. XD

Buuuut I feel exactly the way you do on the topic. I am actually unnerved by people who feel the need to constantly downplay or discourage the idea of women doing anything sensual or exploring their sensuality. I have a lot of feelings and thoughts on this whole subject, really.

• SweetLavender

January 8, 2016 at 1:21 am

I watched it after and have to say you are a trooper Veena. Some of the comments streaming…I wished I could have sent you tons of Studio Veena hearts.

• Veena

Administrator
    January 8, 2016 at 2:35 am

I’ve been working online for 7 yrs now and learning to tune out creeps and haters has become easier over time. 😊

You can give my hearts in the replay!!! 💜💜💜💜

• Sayra

January 8, 2016 at 2:54 am

Yeah…I think I would have used the block button with a few of them. Way to deal~

• Veena

Administrator
    January 8, 2016 at 3:45 am

I think some people are trying to be obnoxious and want to be blocked so I find that ignoring them is irritating to them 😜

• emmasculator

January 8, 2016 at 4:42 am

when will people learn that you can build yourself up without tearing others down? Deriding others does not increase your legitimacy it just makes you look uncertain of your status and defensive.

• Phoenix Hunter

January 8, 2016 at 4:55 am

I feel it’s unnecessary and can unintentionally be rude towards strippers. Also, some maybe using it to intentionally be rude. its silly and unnecessary. it only makes people wonder why youre defensive about it. I allow people to look into pole dancing on their own and discover what is or isnt stripping. Im pretty open about what i do and people can look at my videos and pics and decide what they want about me. I just dont care. #dontgiveashit 🙂 #whatyouthinkaboutmeaintmybusiness hehe

• epsilonte

January 8, 2016 at 4:19 pm

First of all: people on the internet are weird. xD

As for the hashtag – I’m with you.
    While I don’t know any strippers personally (never been to a strip club… yet.), I follow a few of them on instagram and mostly love their pics and videos. And I just read a book ( http://www.jacqthestripper.com/the-beaver-show/ ) by one of them and loved it. Maybe it’s because I’m so much in my “pole bubble”, but I just don’t see anything negative with strippers, quite the opposite, I’m thankful that they made pole what it is today.
    And I absolutely love the sexy side of pole and my heels and glittery costumes…

#wishIwasastripper 😉

• Kellye Perkins

January 9, 2016 at 12:55 am

If it wasn’t for a stripper I bumped into at a wedding I would have never known pole to be used for anything other than entertaining in a strip club. Once I found the athletic/gymnastic side of pole I was hooked and wanted to get strong so I could have fun doing those moves. I only tried hoochie coochie around the pole a few times and just can’t do it with a straight face LOL. So for me a hashtag might be #definitelynotastripper! But if the sensual or sexy/artistic side of pole is your thing then go for it. Life is too short not to be enjoyed:)

• honolulusushi53412

January 9, 2016 at 4:45 am

Men strip, yet they seem to not be labeled in any derogatory terms. Good old doubled standard here

• flyingchiro

January 9, 2016 at 6:54 am

To me, this whole stripper-hating is another variety of slut shaming. A way of saying that woman should feel embarrassed and crude if they feel, act or behave in a sexual/sensual way. And the women who support the pole dancer/stripper feud are colluding in their own oppression.

Some people strip for a living.
    Some people do other kinds of dance for a living.

• 33barbwire

January 9, 2016 at 3:52 pm

I really want to see this one, but when I click the Periscope link I get a “broadcast has expired” page.

I guess I’ll hold some of my comments until I see the video, but I learned about #notastripper and #yesastripper from an article that catmoves had shared and I love the knowledge drop! It sucks that #notastripper is a thing, but I started searching #yesastripper on Instagram to find new polers to follow and diversify my visual pole diet.*

(*not to hijack the thread, but “visual diet” comes from a TED Talk I saw a while ago about body image and diversifying representations of beauty in the media. Actually, if I’m not mixing up my TED talks, this one was by a plus size burlesque dancer and y’all will probably love her!)

• pr1nc3ss

January 9, 2016 at 4:11 pm

I understand both sides because if you teach new girls they always ask. So I am always up front about it. What I normally say is I have never been an exotic dancer no shade. I think a lot of people are closed minded and think to love pole dancing you need to be a stripper well anyone can love pole. I know when I first started to learn I had a new respect for strippers and realized how hard their job really was and how much thought and skill it took.

• Veena

Administrator
    January 9, 2016 at 4:22 pm

It’s uploading to SV right now! The broadcast only stays up for 24 hrs 😊

Page 1 of 3