StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Middle splits stretch cause knee cap pain?

• Middle splits stretch cause knee cap pain?

Posted by Mechie on March 25, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Hello Ladies – I wonder if any of you have this problem while you're working on your middle splits…. My right knee cap hurts, it helps when i massage it a bit…but each and every time when i do any sort of middle splits stretch, my knee cap hurts….hence i can never have straight leg when i'm doing straddle…

Even when I do extensive warm up in class and at home…i still hurts.  I'm not sure if it's because my muscle is tight or is something else…

Anyone??

MelCat replied 10 years ago 8 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • JenRoberts

March 26, 2013 at 2:04 am

I have always had this problem as well. I have bad knees and I really notice it during running or riding a bike (I rarely do these). I think this happens because your knees are pressed on the ground which causes them to lock. Sometimes I have to get up from my stretch or bend my knee to reposition. It might help if you only hold it for 5-8 seconds, then release, and do that multiple times, instead of holding for a long period of time

• Ekinkah

March 26, 2013 at 11:10 pm

I get pain on the inner aspect of my knee, very close to the kneecap but not directly under it – I’ve been told its muscle tightness, and to rotate my legs towards the back of the room a bit (I think?). I think if massaging the kneecap helps, it is likely a tight muscle – but I’m not a doctor or anything so I don’t really know 🙂

• DharmaDancer

March 27, 2013 at 4:04 am

There is a condition called chondromalacia patella, which is a wearing away at the cartilage lining the kneecap, that is painful when pressure is put on a fully extended knee. Though you might try using glucosamine/chondroitin to see if that helps, the condition can’t really be corrected and you may have to keep a slight flex in the knee or not split fully to the floor to avoid the pain.

• Dwiizie

March 27, 2013 at 8:04 am

This happens to me, but only when I lock the knees in the stretch. My knee locks SO easily, so I have to be very conscious to let the "lock muscle" go. If it won't do it, I lessen the stretch, or go for straddles instead of body weight on top middle splits. I also find it easier to get the leg back when working on one at a time and putting it together once each have gained a little. Sometimes I wear a flexible knee brace because the extra support keeps the muscles, I think, from feeling like they have to lock. I dunno, but I'm glad its not just me!

• Mechie

March 27, 2013 at 1:42 pm

My knees lock REALLY easily too!! (I'm double joint…and I heard that's common for double jointer…)

Anyway, the past couple of nights I "solve" the issue of my knee pain by putting roll-up towels underneath both my knees before working on my middle stretch on my splits machine.  It seems to help a lot! The issue is still there…but least there's a way around it.  

I hope this won't have an effect of my straighten the legs once I got my splits!

Thanks ladies for all your inputs!!! =) 

• Cuwoody

March 24, 2014 at 9:41 pm

I struggle with the same. I am careful to never lock my knees and leave my legs slightly bent at the knee. I also rotate my hips so my knee caps are facing the walls not the ceiling. Even doing this, my knee hurts. I have to stop stretching bc of the knee even though I could go further with other muscles. I am frustrated and not sure what to do. I am 44 so I am sure tht is adding to things. I have tried sitting and doing this, lying on my back with bum and legs on the wall and I still have the same problem.

• Phoenix Hunter

March 24, 2014 at 11:52 pm

it could be pulling on the ligament that is on the side of the knee.

• MelCat

March 25, 2014 at 11:08 pm

Which direction are your knees facing? Especially if your torso is upright, your knees should be as well, with an active feeling of rotating back. This rotation should also come all the way from the hip socket rather than the knee joint to keep everything safely in alignment. If lowering into your splits this way still hurts another alternatives could be to sit in a straddle in front of a wall with your hands behind you to add any desired forward pressure to increase the stretch, again with legs rotated from the hip socket to face the ceiling or as far back as possible. I’ve personally always been taught this from the start of my ballet training. If the knees do face the wall in front of you, the torso and hips should also be along that same horizontal axis to keep everything in alignment, which is much harder to gauge and easier to cheat, and thus can often be more dangerous and lead to knee injuries. Whenever I stretch, I try to keep my hips engaged to control alignment and prevent torsion.