Hi StrangeFox,
I make most of my own pole clothes and I find it very rewarding as I can create whatever I want.
Most of the time, I use a serger, but a regular sewing machine would work fine, as long as you have a zigzag stitch. I use a Bernina 550 as my sewing machine and a Bernina 800D overlock. That sewing machine is overkill (yes, I admit it...) and I'd really recommend going for something much simpler/cheaper. Make sure it has a straight stitch, zigzag and a three step zigzag and you're set for almost anything! (You won't need the three step zigzag for sewing shorts, but if you do decice to sew bras as well, that'll have you covered.)
If you only get one machine, get a sewing machine and not a serger. You'll need it for top stitching and such, which you just can't do on a serger. A serger is good for the internal seams and finishing them up really nicely, but that's about all it does.
Get good needles for stretch fabric (usually 75 is good), good quality thread and fabric with stretch. I like fabrics with stretch in both directions best but if you get a fabric with stretch in a single direction, make sure you line up your stretch in the right direction (going around the body!) as you don't want to finish sewing and then find out you can't fit into it. Forget about wovens for pole clothes.
If you need any additional tips/advice/pattern ideas, please feel free to message me!