StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Low ceilings

• Low ceilings

Posted by Amelia72 on May 12, 2018 at 4:08 pm

Hi!

Does anybody else have an incredibly low ceiling? As we couldn’t find joists in the normal part of our ceiling, my pole had to go under the low part, and it’s frustrating having a pole which is barely 2m high- climbing and spinning is hard!

Has anyone else got this problem? Needing a little reassurance that it is possible to successfully pole in such a small environment…

StrangeFox replied 5 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • StrangeFox

May 12, 2018 at 7:19 pm

The highest the ceilings go in my house is 7 ft 6inches or so… (can’t remember exactly but it’s pretty pathetic!). I have two pole rooms and one of them has a 6ft 9inch ceiling. I pole in this room all the time, although I do admit the lack of height is an annoyance at times. Most moves are no problem with a low ceiling, and I usually just go to the studio to practice the moves that do require height. It’s doable, and you’ll learn to work with what you’ve got. 🙂

There are quite a few polers on here with low ceilings. If you’re concerned you won’t be able to pole beautifully, please check out a dancer on here named Papillon – she’s absolutely incredible and she also poles with very low ceilings. Somehow she manages to make a climb on a low pole look so graceful and lengthy! I still haven’t figured out this secret yet! 😀 Plus, Veena gives tips in the lessons on how to climb, etc… on lower poles.

As for finding a joist – I had a hell of a time finding the joist in my ceilings even with a stud finder. I found a hole the previous owners of the house had cut into the basement ceiling and measured the space between them. Starting from the wall I measured outwards until I found the joist in the center of the room. Most houses have joists set a standard distance apart. You might be able to do something similar to locate the joist in the taller part of your ceiling.