StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Lost moves

• Lost moves

Posted by Nat on April 19, 2019 at 9:26 pm

Sorry I really had super frustrating practice 😔. I do private pole session once a week and in the beginning I was trying to self motivate and do pole at home. Well it is fair to say it is not happening. I seem to choose to go to the gym rather than stay at home and practice. Today I have decided to practice at home and move that once I was able to do, off the become impossible (gemini to scorpio switch). I though that once you have it, it will stay and muscle memory takes over etc but apparently not. On my private we tend to focus on advanced moves (which is what I choose) like handspring, ayesha etc so we very rarely go back to the basics of pole. Did “loss” of a move happen to anyone else? Is it normal if you don’t practice it regularly? Thank you ♥

x falcon 3 0 x replied 5 years ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    April 19, 2019 at 11:34 pm

I’m sorry you’re feeling frustrated! Like anything if you want to keep it you gotta use it. It’s totally normal to loose moves. It’s also very important to have the fundamentals down before learning the more advanced stuff for this reason. New tricks are fun, but fundamentals are what can make these moves easier to learn. Have you tried any of my 30 day programs to help motivate yourself to practice at home?

• Nat

April 20, 2019 at 7:44 am

Thank you Veena! I have started on one of your programs when first started pole but now I just look for moves/combos I like to try, however I just can’t get the motivation to get to work. I think I will leave advanced stuff for my private sessions and start drilling pole fundamentals again so its flawless!

• StrangeFox

April 20, 2019 at 2:47 pm

Sorry you had a bad practice and are frustrated. I know that feeling all too well. And I lose moves all the time! They come back relatively quickly, though, and there are certain moves I don’t ever seem to lose no matter how little I practice them. I think the moves I don’t lose are moves I’ve really broken down and focused on (as Veena says, learning the fundamentals makes a huge difference). I also tend to lose moves if I gain a new range of motion. So be aware if you’re doing flexibility training on the regular you might have to recalibrate some of your moves.

I find it impossible to work on all of the moves all of the time, and I’ve been trying to find a way to figure out which moves I actually want to focus on, and which ones are OK for me to lose. So far I’ve found freestyling is really helpful for this. Some moves are just my “style” so I work on polishing them more, and I try not to worry about the ones that never seem to work for me.

• x falcon 3 0 x

April 21, 2019 at 4:20 pm

We’re all different and it’s quite normal to “lose” a move. I used to be able to do all the handsprings quite easily. Now it’s become a mindscrew because I don’t train them regularly anymore and at one point I was overtraining them and would get tennis elbow occasionally. On the other hand I have a friend who rarely poles now and she has no problem just busting out a handspring on command **shakes fist** 😂 But that’s her. What was lost can be found again 🤗