StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Inversion Prep and Pole Burn

• Inversion Prep and Pole Burn

Posted by StrangeFox on April 30, 2017 at 4:26 am

I just finished my introductory classes and am headed into the beginner level now, so I’m still working on building strength and getting used to the pole. One of the things we’re starting to condition for is the basic inversion. We’re doing this by tucking the pole under our arms and raising our legs for a few seconds. For me this always results in killer pole burn on my inner arm, to the point where I can only hold my legs up for about two seconds and then the pain forces me to let go and slide down. I’m hoping as I get stronger this will be less of a problem, but for the time being is there a move I can do to strengthen myself for the inversion prep hold?

SToast replied 7 years ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Autumn Sky

April 30, 2017 at 12:16 pm

Welcome to the world of pole! I had the same issue when I started. I worked on a regular pole hold(where you stand behind the pole) to build up my strength so i could hold myself better in a side pole hold. Also make sure the placement of your arms to the pole is correct, and you can try just lifting one leg at a time until that feels comfortable for you.

• SToast

April 30, 2017 at 3:58 pm

If you strengthen your basic hold you won’t have to rely on the inner arm contact for support. You can sit on the floor straddling the pole with the pole close to your body. Reach up to grab the pole, activate your shoulders (veena has great lessons on this) and pull up to lift your butt off the ground. At first your heels will stay on the ground but eventually, as your core and legs strengthen as well, you will be able to lift yourself up with your legs in a straddle off the ground. Then you can work to scissor climbing the pole. This will really help your strength and you’ll rely on your grip and shoulder strength rather than skin contact. This and the pole hold that Autumn Sky posted should help. I remember being exactly where you are. You’ll build strength quickly if you stick with it.

• Veena

Administrator
    April 30, 2017 at 5:37 pm

The girls are right and have some great advice! Focus on the using the muscles and it will help take pressure off the skin. The lessons here have some helpful tips too. Someday you’ll look a back and find it hard to remember how tough a side pole hold was!

• StrangeFox

May 1, 2017 at 3:21 am

Thanks a bunch for the fantastic tips, ladies! It comforts me to know everyone started out somewhere and that things do get easier. I used to be pretty easy to discourage and hated how I could never do anything, but I’ve learned the only reason I can’t do things is because I never try. I’m actually looking forward to challenging my body, and I’m super excited for that day my heels lift off the floor while I’m doing a seated pole hold! 🙂 I love that moment where things click and something you’ve struggled with suddenly becomes effortless.

I’ll be setting up my pole soon so I can do some conditioning at home, which is really going to help. I don’t feel like we get enough conditioning in the classes, and maybe I’m weird but I really enjoy conditioning. I’m definitely going to get a membership and check out the lessons. 😉

• SToast

May 1, 2017 at 4:52 am

Classes differ so much from studio to studio. One studio I went to did 10 min warm-up, 20 min conditioning, the 30 min tricks, spins, etc. Another studio you had to get there 10 min early to warm-up in the dressing area before class cause it was 60 minutes of tricks. I found that I really missed the conditioning and warmup so I went to the one studio once a week and the other once a month to get a little variety.

Conditioning at home works well for me. Trick training I find easier to do in a studio/class setting. Enjoy your journey!