StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Installing/Removing Pole Questions

• Installing/Removing Pole Questions

Posted by KuriKat on November 2, 2011 at 12:02 am

Hi, I'm new to this forum *Hi* and am wondering if anyone can share any experiences they have with installing and removing poles.

I've been taking classes for a year and want to get a pole in my home, but since I've put a lot of work into remodeling and getting the house ready to sell, I'm worried that installing a pole temporarily will leave marks on the ceiling and floor when I move it. Has this happened to anyone here? I'm not sure which sort of pole I'll get yet, but if there's one in particular that doesn't leave any marks (and is also good for grip, stability, etc), I'd love to hear about it.

– Christina

Tigerschic041721 replied 9 years, 8 months ago 9 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • Runemist34

November 2, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Hey hon!

So, not sure if you know…there are basically 3 main hitters when it comes to dance poles: Lil' Mynx, Platinum Stages and Xpole.

Lil' mynx is what I have, and they do screw into the ceiling, so that may not be what you're looking for. They DO have ones that don't screw in, but I wouldn't really recommend them, as they tend to be a bit…flimsy. I'm sure others have had better results with them, though. I really like my pole, and since I rent, I always as if I move into a new place if they're cool with me putting things into the ceiling (though I'm not always very forthright about what those things are!), and I've not had an issue. I generally just put some putty into the hole when I'm moving out!

Otherwise, check out the other two, and see what you think! I've heard a lot of complaints about Xpole recently, but they are still considered to be possibly the best. I'm pretty sure both of those companies have stand alone poles, or poles that hold on with pressure, rather than screws!

• JeHanne

November 2, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Hi there,

I have an X Pole and I absolutely love it! The first time I put it up one of the X joints stripped and I had to buy a new one. You can be sure I've tigthtened them to keep that from happening again. Hopefully.

What I like about my X is that it doesn't leave any marks on my ceiling or floor and it feels very sturdy, I feel safe on it. I also like the way it looks. It is easy for me to take up and down by myself. You do want to make sure you center it on a joist. 

X pole doesn't seem to have a good reputation for grip. Mine is pretty slick and takes a while to warm up. I figured if I can pole on an X I can pole on almost anything. ; ) 

I have read positive and negative feedback on all of the major pole models out there. It's not an easy decision to make and they are expensive. Regardless of the pole you decide on, I hope you enjoy it!

• LindaGPS

November 2, 2011 at 8:43 pm

@JeHanne : I’m planning on getting the Xpole but being able to take it down & put it up is the deal breaker for my hubby. How long does it take you? You can do it by yourself, right??

• JeHanne

November 2, 2011 at 9:31 pm

The longest time is finding the stud. It takes me about 5 minutes to put the pole up once I know where the stud is. I  traced a circle around the dome when it was up so when I take it down I know exactly where to put it up next time I put it up. There is a penciled circle on the ceiling but it's my ceiling and my pole is almost always up.

I also use a small magnetic level, most of my time is spent making sure it is level. Then I tighten it well and test it a few times… jerk on it, light spins etc. 

When I take it down I remove the top dome and the bottom piece. I leave the pole and x joints connected so storage is essentially a long tube, a top dome and a little bottom piece. So when I put it up I just attach the bottom piece and slide the dome on. I am 5' 8" and manuevring it is easy. Its top heavy due to the dome but no big deal. I like that I can do it myself and I do not need a step ladder to put it up. 

Now if I disassembled it completely to where the joints and the pieces were all apart, it would take longer for me to put it up again. You have to center it on a joist. I have seen pictures here where a huge chunk of ceiling is ripped out when a joist isn't used… that scares the crap out me so that's why I have the penciled circle on my ceiling.

Go to the xpole site and the assembly tab, you can view a youtube installation video. I have the X pert because I wanted spin. 

I hope whatever you decide on you love it!!! People here use all different kind of poles so you can get great info on other poles too.   : )

• KuriKat

November 3, 2011 at 7:48 am

Thanks for all the replies. I've been wavering for the past little while between the Xpoles and the brass poles that Aradia sells. The advantage of the Aradia poles would be primarily grip, but as you say, maybe mastering grip on the Xpoles means that everything else will seem easy in comparison.

• polegirl40

November 3, 2011 at 8:17 am

I have an Aradia removable pole and I love it.  Very grippy once you get it warmed up.  I have a new house with California ceilings (kind of a stucco designed finish).  All I did was find out where the studs were and ran a piece of solid wood about 3/4 inch thick between the 2 celing joices(?) that were about 24" apart so I used a piece of wood that was 36" to cover both joices.  I then placed the pole top kind of central on the wood.  The wood between the joices should diplace the pressure from the pole so it is less damaging to the ceiling.  As for sturdiness, I swing on that pole with no problem and that sucker doesn't move.  Sturdy as all get out. 

Have you looked on KIjijiji at all?  I got my used pole for $150 that way.

• Dancing Paws

November 3, 2011 at 9:42 am

I just placed an order wiht platinum stages for a brass multi piece. It should be here in a few days. We'll see how it goes. I HATE my x pole. HATE IT! I have had nothing but problems with it. I had it for 9 months and had so many things crop up. I had to keep calling them to have them send me replacement parts. I called them so many times that they finally cut me off. I also find the x pole design to be very user un-friendly. The joints are a big pain. There are so many screws on the x-pert that you have to keep checking, and there are even hidden ones that come loose (my pole started moveing and it took me forever to figure out why.) I personally think the lilmynx poles are great for easy put up and take down. Once I get my platinum stages pole, I will let everyone know what I think of it.

There is also a small company called pole danzer, and another in Canada called action poles, although I have never used them, I have heard great things about them from other ladies on here.

• distracted

November 3, 2011 at 10:21 am

Hey KuriKat,

I just took a look on kijiji Edmonton and it looks like someone is selling a new Star Stand-Alone Pole: http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sporting-goods-exercise-other-Brand-new-Star-Stand-Alone-Pole-dancing-pole-W0QQAdIdZ324761719

Here's an Aradia one: http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sporting-goods-exercise-Aradia-Dance-Pole-W0QQAdIdZ323154558

The Aradia poles are easy to install, super sturdy, and there's not much to worry about.  However, you said you will be moving soon, so you need to make sure the Aradia pole you buy will fit in your new place since you can only extend it to up to 5 inches.

With the stand alone pole, you won't have to worry about the ceiling or anything.  I know someone who have two removable poles.  When she moved to a new place, she bought a stand alone pole instead.  That's the same with me.  I have the original X-Pole X-Pert with an extension, which I love.  It hasn't caused me any trouble at all and it's a shame the X-Joints seem to be such a problem.  However, if you have a stucco ceiling, the ceiling dome will flatten the stucco a bit.  It just looks like a funny looking shadow if you glance at it.  I'm moving to a nicer place so I just bought a Platinum Stages stand alone pole. 

There are a lot of options out there but I think the main one right now is to make sure whatever pole you buy now will fit into the new place.  With the X-Pole, there are extensions available and I like how easy it is to take the pole itself apart (with the help of another person).  The Aradia pole is a simple and worry free pole.  The stand alone ones mean no ceiling damages.

Happy pole shopping!

• distracted

November 3, 2011 at 10:21 am

Hey KuriKat,

I just took a look on kijiji Edmonton and it looks like someone is selling a new Star Stand-Alone Pole: http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sporting-goods-exercise-other-Brand-new-Star-Stand-Alone-Pole-dancing-pole-W0QQAdIdZ324761719

Here's an Aradia one: http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sporting-goods-exercise-Aradia-Dance-Pole-W0QQAdIdZ323154558

The Aradia poles are easy to install, super sturdy, and there's not much to worry about.  However, you said you will be moving soon, so you need to make sure the Aradia pole you buy will fit in your new place since you can only extend it to up to 5 inches.

With the stand alone pole, you won't have to worry about the ceiling or anything.  I know someone who have two removable poles.  When she moved to a new place, she bought a stand alone pole instead.  That's the same with me.  I have the original X-Pole X-Pert with an extension, which I love.  It hasn't caused me any trouble at all and it's a shame the X-Joints seem to be such a problem.  However, if you have a stucco ceiling, the ceiling dome will flatten the stucco a bit.  It just looks like a funny looking shadow if you glance at it.  I'm moving to a nicer place so I just bought a Platinum Stages stand alone pole. 

There are a lot of options out there but I think the main one right now is to make sure whatever pole you buy now will fit into the new place.  With the X-Pole, there are extensions available and I like how easy it is to take the pole itself apart (with the help of another person).  The Aradia pole is a simple and worry free pole.  The stand alone ones mean no ceiling damages.

Happy pole shopping!

• JeHanne

November 3, 2011 at 6:12 pm

How does the Aradia pole install? Do you need a stepladder to do it or can you do it from the floor? I went to the web site and could not find any product pictures or installation instructions. I have been considering a second pole… is it a single piece? 

Interesting!!! 

• distracted

November 3, 2011 at 7:22 pm

The Aradia pole is a single piece brass pole.  You would install it the same you would install any other top-loading removable pole, so yes, you will need a ladder.  Extend the top to the right height and then tighten it with the nut.

It's super and easy to put up.

• JeHanne

November 3, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Thank you for the info Distracted! I haven't installed a top loading pole before. This sounds very simple, I like that! 

• polegirl40

November 4, 2011 at 5:24 pm

The Aradia pole very easy to install.  Just use a level to make sure it is straight, tighten top with a wrench and you are good to go!

• JeHanne

November 5, 2011 at 12:01 am

Sweet!!!

• Dancing Paws

November 10, 2011 at 8:55 am

Do any of you guys have pics of the araia poles top and bottoms? If not, would any of you be willing to take some and post them? and does the aradia pole spin???? Do you have any trouble with it trying to turn while you spin on it after you have tightened the top nut??

Page 1 of 2