StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions I got upside down! :)

• I got upside down! :)

Posted by StrangeFox on May 22, 2017 at 8:43 pm

Yay! I just did my first invert! I didn’t kick into it, but it still wasn’t pretty – lots of scrabbling with my feet once I got up there. I hooked my foot instead of my ankle and then pulled myself into it. It looked kind of awkward and monkey-ish but I’ll work on getting my ankle hooked and making it solid. I’ll post a video of my first sloppy invert once I figure out how. I was at home so I used a crash mat, which was actually kind of hard to work with but hey – better safe than sorry!

I know I’ve got a long way to go, but I’m pretty excited. This was one of those moves I just thought wasn’t for me.

StrangeFox replied 6 years, 11 months ago 5 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    May 22, 2017 at 10:29 pm

Yay good for you!

• StrangeFox

May 23, 2017 at 2:18 am

Thanks Veena! The conditioning in your lessons helped me get there!

• Veena

Administrator
    May 23, 2017 at 2:32 am

If you’re a member of my Facebook Studioveena.com group feel free to share it there too!

• StrangeFox

May 23, 2017 at 3:29 am

Thanks! I don’t have facebook, but I might get it just to join the group. 😉 I have a video of me getting upside down that I was thinking of sharing but…to be honest it’s pretty brutal! I’m hooking with the inside of my foot and pulling myself into position, which probably means I should hold off on inverting for now and keep conditioning. Haha! I think it’ll be another couple of weeks of conditioning before I can get them to look pretty, and not like I’m a drunk sloth. It’s tempting to keep inverting over and over but I don’t think that’s going to help me build strength the same way knee tucks and side pole holds will.

We were told not to kick into an invert in class, but the instructor said it’s OK to step and swing the outside leg upwards (in a controlled manner), but when I do it, it feels kind of like cheating. I’m so paranoid about kicking into my invert that I deliberately hold back when I swing my leg upwards.

• Veena

Administrator
    May 23, 2017 at 4:10 am

If you look at the lessons here I teach step and sweep…deadlifting is very hard on the body when first learning. Sounds like you the Invert Program here would be a nice help for improving your inverts!

Here’s the link if you do end up on FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/1363255303759570/

• StrangeFox

May 23, 2017 at 7:31 pm

Thanks Veena! I do want to do your 30 days to invert program. I think that will help a lot with getting the strength to hook my ankle and not my foot! 😀 I might not be letting myself lean back enough when I bring my leg up. Watching my video I can see I’m so close to getting my ankle up there!

• Hazi411

May 24, 2017 at 8:44 am

Well done! Major milestone conquered!

• AlisonDawn

May 24, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Yay! Congrats!! I finally did my first (sloppy) invert last night too, so I’m right there with you. It’s an amazing feeling!

• StrangeFox

May 24, 2017 at 8:44 pm

Thanks Hazi411 and AlisonDawn!

And congrats AlisonDawn! It totally is a wicked awesome feeling to get upside down for the first time! And it wasn’t as frightening or disorienting as I imagined it would be which is a bonus. Loved your ballerina, by the way. Looks so beautiful! 🙂

• AlisonDawn

May 26, 2017 at 8:18 pm

Thank you! And so true, it wasn’t as frightening as I thought it would be. I actually find the CKR to be way more scary, but I am only just starting to learn that one as well. Slowly but surely!

• tiffanyxx

May 27, 2017 at 7:05 pm

I also recently went upside down for the first time!
    I agree that cross knee release is scarier, I learned it first. Practice is key with that one, it becomes surprisingly easy eventually 🙂

• StrangeFox

May 28, 2017 at 12:39 am

Thanks Tiffany! And congrats on your inversion!

I have yet to learn cross knee release. I’m not sure when my studio teaches that one, but it’s a gorgeous looking move. I think I’m going to look it up here on SV. 🙂