StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions How to pick yourself up mentally after a fall

• How to pick yourself up mentally after a fall

Posted by aruss7622 on July 4, 2022 at 2:38 am

It finally happened, that thing I have dreaded forever. I fell today. On my head, no less, during a switch from outside to inside leg hang. I got tangled up and went the wrong way, and bang. I was lucky at that point I was only a foot or so from the floor, because it could have been a lot worse. But now I am terrified of getting back on the horse and inverting again. I am also berating myself for being so freaking clumsy. Has this happened to anyone else, and how did you keep going?
    (Note: by keep going, I mean after resting/ recovering and not making a head injury worse!)

Veena replied 1 year, 7 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    July 4, 2022 at 7:19 pm

I’m glad you’re ok!

Mistakes happen and ones that causes pain can really shake a person up and that’s normal. Here are some things you can do to help avoid a fall and increase your confidence again.

When working on tricks that you’re not 100% with always use a crash mat. If you don’t have a mat couch cushions work well.

Don’t train new tricks from up high, stay as low as you can.

Know your limits and stay within them.

You say you’re afraid to invert? Remember that inverting isn’t necessary is a fun option for those who enjoy it. There are a lot of other fun tricks and ways to enjoy the pole. When you are ready to invert again make sure you have an exit plan and that you are totally confident in your invert before trying other tricks like switching legs. Leg switching is far more advanced than an invert on it’s own. To build up your confidence make sure you feel 100% comfortable with both inside and outside leg holds. Then you can start to work on switching. I have several great tutorial for switches once you’re ready. The key is never loosing leg contact with the pole, so having a solid hip hold is needed too.

If you haven’t yet, try following my lessons as everything is placed in order. Building up your skills really helps prevent accidents.

Last, don’t rush into moves. Enjoy the process of learning as much as trying to learn the next move. There’s no rush. Even if you never invert you can still have fun pole dancing.

• aruss7622

July 4, 2022 at 7:46 pm

Thank you! Yes I really should have used a crash mat. I was feeling weaker yesterday (a little dehydrated etc) and should have taken that as a warning. I’m much better today. I’ll invert again for sure, but I’ll build back up with a spotter and a crash mat to be extra safe.

• Serzi

July 5, 2022 at 3:57 pm

That’s the worst when that happens, and it seems like it does at a time when you’re vaguely aware “Okay, I need to stop now.”.

I had caught a bad crash on video, idk where the Hell I saved it but it was a great example. I was in a CAR and was toying with it, trying to contort myself into something like a bow&arrow or a half/full moon. Idk but, point being, it was not the right time for me to be messing around with advanced moves I’d never done before. I was too exhausted, sore, and was at a point where I was trying too much too fast. Well, while in the CAR and grabbing the pole near my head, I slipped a bit. This slip then created a perfect 50mm thigh gap and I slammed right down. My arms, luckily, saved my neck as they were in an elbow stand tripod position. Oh, man, though, crunched my back a bit and I flung my legs off. Bruised the Hell outta my hip when I bailed. Ugh. Still remember how scared and pissed off I was in that moment.

Anyway, I don’t think I ever attempted to set up those moves again. I still can do a CAR, but I don’t have any interest in risking my neck or back for some crazy back-bend inverts. Love the look, hate the feel. Maybe someday, but idk. There are plenty of other moves worth the effort that don’t involve such awkward/dangerous positioning and I’m okay with that.

Still, plenty of other times I’ve had a slip or a minor fall but was able to bail out without incident. It def increases body awareness and it’s kinda fun to troubleshoot when you don’t completely lose control in the attempt. That’s how you make progress. The scary shit, though? File it under “Maybe Later/Maybe Not” and get back up there with what you do best. 💜

• Colleen Larson

September 16, 2022 at 10:13 pm

Earlier this year, I fell of a Lyra hoop and broke my right big toe. The doctor told me it would take about 6 to 8 weeks to heal. However, the toe wasn’t healing properly. So I had to have surgery. So that was another three months of healing. So, all that time, I was off Lyra AND off pole. 🙁 I was new to Lyra (only a few lessons), but I’ve been poling for awhile. ~~ I won’t return to Lyra: 1. Because I have PTSD from falling; 2. I don’t want to go through this again, and 3. My husband would kill me if I returned. 🤷🏾‍♀️ I HAVE returned to pole. That’s because I’m not new to it, and when I’ve fallen, I knew how to keep the fall from being serious. ~~ I agree 100 percent with Veena that you should practice with a mat. I’m amazed at the number of studios that don’t use mats. 🙄 With Lyra, you always have a mat underneath, but because you’re so high up, if you fall, you can hurt yourself badly like I did. ~~ So circus stuff, like Lyra, is no longer for me. But it would take a lot for me to give up pole.

• aruss7622

September 17, 2022 at 8:39 pm

I’m happy to report I’m back in the inversions saddle. I’m even doing leg switches again! I always, always use a mat now. Working on handstands has also really helped me because I discovered I had a fear of being chest to pole (weirdly, not the other way around?) So knowing my bail-out positions were strong helped me work past my fear and be more mindful of safety. Anyway I’m still working through the fear at times — once in a while now, I will sweat more profusely or I will feel my heart race, even if I feel logically calm — but overall I’m glad to be moving my way through it.

• Veena

Administrator
    September 17, 2022 at 8:57 pm

That’s great! Happy you’re back at it 💜