StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Handspring

• Handspring

Posted by PoleMorgana on October 22, 2019 at 5:43 pm

Hello
    I’ve been trying to get the handspring for several years, I’ve tried with several people but I can’t, I think it’s scary. It is to separate the legs from the bar and I do not know if I have strength for that or not or what I need to get, under immediately
    Any advice to get it? Exercises, workouts.
    Has it happened to someone else?
    Thank you
    Regards

Davedeeking9167 replied 4 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Davedeeking9167

October 22, 2019 at 8:26 pm

Hi Im new to pole,,,under a year, I just started to attempt handsprings and from what I hear its a slow going process. I am using a stretch band around the pole and hooking it around my foot so that as I start to move one foot off the pole ( from an invert) I don’t fall off the pole so fast. Takes the scariness out of it for jme. Im learning to strengthen my core and arms from an invert before kicking up into it from the floor. Good Luck. Dee

• StrangeFox

October 22, 2019 at 10:36 pm

Are you attempting the handspring mount, or lowering into the handspring end position (ayesha) from on the pole? 🙂 I’ve been trying the mount for over a year and still can’t get it. Ayesha took me such a long time and even now if I don’t train it I lose it pretty quickly. You are not alone in finding it scary and strength intensive – it really is! Once you have it, though, it’s not too bad. You could try posting a video on here and we might be able to give some tips based on what we see.

For lowering into ayesha (the handspring end position) from up on the pole what really helped me was doing it from a caterpillar first and making sure my crotch was centered with the pole before I took my legs off. To do that I had to slightly curve my torso towards my pulling arm (if that makes sense). I had to pull a lot more than I thought I did, and I had to make sure my feet came off the pole at the same time and immediately pointed towards the ground or else I’d wobble and fall out of it. I also practiced tumbling out of ayesha either into flatline, or to the ground just to show myself that there was nothing to be really afraid of.

Good luck!

• PoleMorgana

October 23, 2019 at 7:18 am

Thank you very much for the help
    Now I try from above, I separate the body, I stay in inverted d and that’s where I fail, I can separate one leg, but the other I dare not.
    From below I was trying but I see something impossible. I will try to upload a video to see if you can tell me what I am doing wrong.
    Thank you

• Veena

Administrator
    October 23, 2019 at 9:09 pm

Which handspring? Twisted grip cartwheel mount or handspring? https://www.studioveena.com/videos/view/5703c6a9-e2e8-4079-9b48-1a8eac110003

• PoleMorgana

October 25, 2019 at 8:42 am

Any grip. Yesterday I returned to practice it and perhaps it is that I do not use the upper hand well, almost all the weight I leave it in the lower hand, the one that pushes and I go to the side. I think my body doesn’t understand the exercise that arm has to do. That happens to me from the ground to kick up, although they help me to climb, once up I go to the side. I think it can be that. It is normal?
    Thank you

• Veena

Administrator
    October 26, 2019 at 5:02 am

I use different body positions for each of the different cartwheels/handsprings. Its not just the grips that are different. There are lessons for the Cartwheel mount, and Handspring, I suggest taking a look at the Half cartwheel and half handspring lessons first.

If you’re using a twisted grip I don’t suggest kicking up from standing when first working on a twisted grip handspring. Do if from off the pole as mentioned by Strangefox. Also understand that the twisted grip handspring from standing isn’t for everyone and a true grip or cup grip might be better. But even if you use the most neutral grip some might still find handsprings and cartwheels to be a move that doesn’t work for them.

Another thought….Just understanding the concept and steps of a move doesn’t mean you’ll be able to do the move within a few tries. Things like handstands take time. Practice the techniques over and over. Our bodies have to learn how to balance and this doesn’t happen overnight.

Feel free to post a video if you’d like us to give you more input 🙂

• PoleMorgana

October 29, 2019 at 7:19 pm

Hello
    I have the video, I want to hang it but it only gives me the option of photos. How can I hang it?
    Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience

• Veena

Administrator
    October 29, 2019 at 7:23 pm

If it’s a link you can just copy and paste. If you want to upload just select the video tab and upload… this can’t be done on a single thread it’s an upload to the video section.

• PoleMorgana

October 29, 2019 at 9:25 pm

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4N4bhSnmIz/?igshid=7x83eazg2s84

copy link.
    I feel my awkwardness in the video.
    I try it with two grips and only from above, being alone I do it very fast.
    Thank you

• Veena

Administrator
    October 30, 2019 at 4:01 am

It looks like a matter of needing to build strength. It shouldn’t be done quickly…can you do an extended butterfly or butterfly? Being able to do those is usually helpful before working handsprings

• StrangeFox

October 31, 2019 at 12:27 am

Definitely work on building strength as Veena said. This one can be hard on the wrists and shoulders if you don’t have the proper strength. Also be careful if you have hyper-mobile elbows (elbows that bend the opposite way when you fully extend your arms). I only practice ayesha a few times per session and I try to use it sparingly as it doesn’t work great for my body.

From your video it looks like when you come away from the pole you’re too far over to the one side and that’s why you keep falling out of it. What I try to think of doing is keeping my crotch centered with the pole and almost leaning towards my pulling arm a bit so my hips are stacked over my shoulders. You can also try entering into ayesha from a caterpillar, which feels more stable for me. While you’re in caterpillar it’s easier to shift your hips around to find your balance. When you remove your legs from the pole, make sure you remove them both at the same time and point your toes straight down towards the ground. Good luck! You got this!

• PoleMorgana

October 31, 2019 at 12:23 pm

Thank you very much for all the advice.

I make the butterfly with a hand other than ayesha, maybe that’s why I don’t finish getting strength for both sides either. I’ll continue practicing

I had been told that I had strength for that even though I didn’t see her with her. I will practice force every day a little, go slowly as you tell me and seek my balance. I will keep you informed.
    thank you very much everyone !!!

• Davedeeking9167

October 31, 2019 at 8:18 pm

This was a very helpful post for me. I get a bit worried haveing myself bungee tied to the pole haha . I really need to find someone to spot me untill I’m comfortable. What if my leg got caught up and I couldn’t slip it out and I came down wrong. Oooh. Wouldn’t be good.

• Davedeeking9167

October 31, 2019 at 8:21 pm

I’m going to try doing this by going into a caterpillar first . Good idea!

• StrangeFox

November 1, 2019 at 1:03 am

Another thing – if you’re worried about falling out of this one and you can find someone to spot you, try falling out of it on purpose (cartwheeling out of it). That’s what an instructor had me do and once I figured out how to “fall safely” I was OK to practice it on my own.

If you can afford it, I recommend investing in a crash mat. I know those are more expensive than a pole but they are totally worth it.

Hope that helps! 🙂

Page 1 of 2