StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Flexibility training question

• Flexibility training question

Posted by LatinPoler on November 13, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Hi, I have a question about the best way to train flexibility. I noticed that when I’m super warm, sweating, I can go deeper into the stretch. But unfortunately, this does not translates into the same range of motion when I’m not that warm. If I warm up but not to a point that I’m so pumped and sweaty, I cannot get the same degree of stretch (which makes sense of course). So I am wondering which is best way to gain flexibility in the long run, that translales into better range of motion for poling and life in general: to be super warm and push to your edge, or be “just” warm and push lighter? Maybe the latest is safer and more realistic… Thanks!

Phoenix Hunter replied 7 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Phoenix Hunter

November 13, 2016 at 5:15 pm

To increase and gain flexibility you want to stretch when you are very very warm. This will increase the range of flexibility. To only slightly warm up and stretch lighter will not really help you to gain flexibility. How deep you go in a stretch even when very very warm will differ each session. Some days you can go deeper. You learn to listen to your body and try to stretch as far as feels safe.

• Phoenix Hunter

November 13, 2016 at 5:17 pm

Being slightly warm may increase your chances of tearing a muscle.

• Veena

Administrator
    November 14, 2016 at 12:50 am

Training for flexibility before warming up fully isn’t a good idea, and does increase your risk of injury. You NEED blood flow to help increase the elasticity of the muscle. The key is blood flow to the muscle. Remember, gentle stretching is fine but actual training to GAIN should be done when fully warm.

I talk about cold flexibility in the 30 days to flexy program, so if you’re using that and haven’t come across it in the program it’s coming. 🙂 I don’t know what day I talk about it tho!! Basically I say….Cold flexibility can take YEARS to improve, or only weeks. It all comes down to if you’ve trained flexibility before, genetics, and how consistent you are with training. Improving cold flexibility takes time! You will always be more flexible when warm. Increasing your strength will also help with over all mobility too!

PS: I’ve read about studies where they’ve use ICE on muscles before stretching and that also works….it works because it does increase BLOOD FLOW to large muscle groups, they used it on LARGE muscles not small, because while the surface of the muscle was very cold, it created warmth/increased blood flow, deep inside and there for increase ROM. Cool huh? I plan on doing a FB live on this subject at some point…it’s on my ever growing list!

If you have more questions on flexibility try using the program if you haven’t already, even just listening to all of the main days will give you some good tips for your training programs!

• LatinPoler

November 14, 2016 at 12:59 am

Thank you Phoenix and Veena! Yes, I am aware of the 30 Day program but I haven’t had the chance to follow it yet. So, now that I’m thinking about it, TOMORROW is going to be the day. It is Monday, and that’s always a good day to start plans.
    One of the reasons behind my question is that I always feel that I need more warm up than what’s included in the classes I have attended… So I thought I might be overdoing the warm up. Frankly, I prefer to stretch on my own because I can tailor the warm up, the exercises and how long I hold the stretches to my needs.

• Phoenix Hunter

November 14, 2016 at 2:20 am

I never felt that warm ups in class were enough for some flexibility tricks. I do my regular warm up. Some non flexy pole tricks,then if I’m gonna do a jade , I will do a brief stretch for splits then do my jade. This way you are warmer and able to stretch a little bit. It may not be your deepest stretch in the middle of a pole session like that but it will be better than depending on just a warm up that isn’t so thorough. Eventually as you get more flexible, you will be able to reach deeper into your stretch easier. It is gradual. But to train specifically for flexibility- I do this after a workout or pole session and I am very thorough about stretching all my muscles. I will go deeper than I would for a mid pole session stretch.

• LatinPoler

November 15, 2016 at 1:50 am

Thanks again Phoenix! Great advice, I will follow it. Good to know that it’s not just me 🙂

• Phoenix Hunter

November 15, 2016 at 2:21 am

Yes. I would do classes where splits were part of the warm up. Ummmmmm, I wasn’t even warm! So I wouldn’t do the splits. I don’t know how people in the class weren’t tearing muscles left and right . Then again, no one around me had splits either and they weren’t gonna get them that way! Lack of knowledge on behalf of the instructor. Don’t be afraid to not do something if you know you aren’t warm enough or stretched out enough to do it.