StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Flat belly advice

• Flat belly advice

Posted by PoleAdventures on June 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm

Since I started pole dance 1.5 years ago my body changed a lot. I lost some weight and that’s good. Overall my body looks a lot better and tight.
    But my big issue is my belly. It is a bit wobbly and not flat and I would like to tighten up my belly πŸ™‚

Do you have any advices to focus on belly? Exercises or tips? My nutrition is ok I think and it’s not a “big weight loss thing”, only a tiny wobbly area πŸ™‚

Thanks πŸ™‚

polediva129 replied 6 years, 10 months ago 7 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • LatinPoler

June 3, 2017 at 7:58 pm

You cannot spot reduce (unless you want to get surgery) but you can spot tone.

In order to reduce that wobbly thing, you’ll need to lose fat overall… Cardio, streght training and being mindful of what you eat (and drink) is the way to do it. Personally, I don’t think pole provides enough cardio. You cannot be pole dancing non-stop for 1 hour, like you do when you run or cycle. I would recommend you added 3 cardio sessions minimun to your pole routine, maybe start with 20 minutes, but you want to do at least 30 per session, ideally longer (40-60min). You can also play with the intensity, do shorter, more intense workouts, interval training, longer, slower pace sessions… I recommend running, since it has many other benefits for women and you can do it anywhere, but please check if it is right for you.

Besides, you may want to increase your core work. If you do Veena’s routines, you may want to add more reps or weights.

But keep in mind that each body is different and it may be difficult to change… our genes control our shapes. I know I will never have skinny legs If you have improved overall, that may be more than enough! Wanting to improve is very legit, but always love your body ðŸ’‒

• Veena

Administrator
    June 4, 2017 at 3:37 pm

Yep, Latin is right, you can’t choose where you will loose weight! Anyone who claims you can is trying to sell you something! LOL

• emmasculator

June 4, 2017 at 9:48 pm

….Not to be a creep, but Ive watched many of your videos. I’ve yet to see any belly wobbling there! Just saying…

• Sacred Geometry

June 5, 2017 at 4:45 am

Gosh, pole is very cardio compatible. After a long choreo, my heart is really pumping! Pole is really one of the few activities that works balance, flexibility, strength and cardio all at the same time. Thank goodness we love it!!!!

• PoleAdventures

June 5, 2017 at 8:53 am

Yes we can’t see on the videos but it is there I swear πŸ˜‰

Thanks for the advices. Unfortunately I hate running or swimming, that’s the reason I wasn’t sporty before pole. I think I add some strength sessions to my pole workouts and be a bit more mindful what I eat and mhhh specially drink πŸ™‚ I really like a glass of wine πŸ˜‰

I ever wondered why I lost weight and tighten up for example on my thights and arms and I overall get slimmer but the belly is still wobbly. As I said, it’s not a big area but I would like it a bit more flat and sporty πŸ™‚

• LatinPoler

June 5, 2017 at 2:19 pm

I used to run half marathons before started poling, maybe that’s why I don’t think pole provides enough continuous cardio effort. Yes, it does provide some amount of cardio, specially if you do flow, but I don’t think that the 4min that a song typically lasts is enough… It’s more interval cardio, ups and downs, but not the same as typical aerobic activities. Both interval and continuos provide benefits.
    Poleadventures, our genes define our shape in great extent… Unfortunately, that’s not easy to change. I think the hormonal balance has something to do as well, controlling where people gain/loose volume. Be mindful of the sugar you take! That’s not only the sugar you put in your coffee… it’s hidden everywhere! Read the labels Γ°ΕΈΛœβ€°

• StrangeFox

June 6, 2017 at 2:27 am

I agree with emmasculator. I see no wobble in those vids – you look dang good! That said, I totally get having that one little area that just drives you crazy. LatinPoler gave you some excellent advice, and I agree with her about genes and how they’re impossible to beat. Not to sound discouraging but even when I was 16 and 20 lbs under weight I still had a booty and thick thighs. That’s how my mom is built, and my grandma, and nature decided I just couldn’t be different. Haha!

Distance running and cutting back on carbs has brought me the closest I have ever been to being happy with my build. Yeah, pole gets me sweaty, breathless, and sore but it’s not the same as a good long run for me. C25K made me fall in love with running because it started out easy and helped me gradually build up my endurance. I love putting my headphones in and tuning out the world. I use the time to listen to songs I want to dance to and daydream up routines. If you really, really hate running, you could try something like Zumba, aerobics/Pilates, kickboxing, or spin. I found for myself that strength training helped me tone up, but didn’t help me lose fat at all. It also made me hungrier so I snacked more and put on weight that definitely wasn’t muscle.

Also… totally with you on the wine, PoleAdventures. I did notice I lost a bunch of weight when I cut out my red wine but it just wasn’t worth it. πŸ™‚

• PoleAdventures

June 6, 2017 at 8:35 am

Yes the genes I know, but I don’t think the genes change over time. About 8 years I had this flat belly πŸ˜‰ It was only my unhealthy and unsporty lifestyle that made me this way πŸ˜‰ I think when you are flat as young woman (I mean not as a young girl) then it should be possible to regain that flat sporty thing πŸ™‚

So thanks again for your comments. If you wish I will start a diary, maybe with pictures. Next 2 weeks i have my exams and then I will have the time to focus on my body πŸ™‚ But I’m already a mindful eater, I cook a lot with fresh things and avoid fast food and hidden sugar πŸ™‚ But yeah I know in this exam time it’s not that easy because the time is always running and you have not much time for healthy food πŸ™‚

And I can say it again: it is not a big wobbly belly, it’s only a little area and I would like to flatten is a bit, not loose big weight.

And yes StrangeFox, the thing with the red wine is difficult πŸ™‚ I love it πŸ™‚

So I will start in 2 weeks…let’s see what I can change πŸ™‚

• LatinPoler

June 6, 2017 at 1:08 pm

Good luck with your exams! Body does change with age by the way… How it changes is also written in your genes I think. But of course there always room to improve whithin our nature Γ°ΕΈΛœβ€°

• polediva129

June 6, 2017 at 4:48 pm

I’ve had the same issue with my belly and having fat in that area through research I’ve found it is usually a hormonal and too- much insulin problem for women my age I’m 40. When I switched to a ketogenic diet, cut out carbs except veggie and a little fruit also used intermittent fasting (keeps insulin spikes down and healed my hypoglycemia problem!) I was able in just a few weeks use my body’s own fat as fuel. I’m not a nutritionist or anything just needed to solve my problem! I follow Dr. Eric Berg (on YouTube) how to get your body safely and healthily into ketosis. He talks a lot about belly fat/overall body fat issues. Just my two cents πŸ˜‰

• PoleAdventures

June 6, 2017 at 6:23 pm

Polediva thanks for your advice but I don’t think the solution is to cut out carbs from my whole nutrition. I also don’t like a lot of veggies πŸ™‚ And without the carbs, where did ou take your energy to pole?

• polediva129

June 6, 2017 at 6:41 pm

Ketosis: it’s using fat instead of sugar for fuel. It’s not for everyone! You don’t cut out all carbs either. Veggies and fruits are my carbs. Takes discipline but again, I’m not giving nutritionist advice, just what has worked in my situation. Also, I have tons more energy now that I’m not depending on glucose! Read up on it if you’re interested. πŸ˜€

• PoleAdventures

June 6, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Yes I read some short facts on different sites. But they all sell their diet as “loose 4-6 pounds in a week” and I personally think that’s not very healthy for the body. Otherwise I don’t want to cut out all the yummy things like pasta and bread. I minimize this things but I never want to cut them out.

Glad to hear you are successful this way but I think it’s not the way I want to choose for me πŸ™‚

• LatinPoler

June 6, 2017 at 10:22 pm

Good choice PoleAdventures! Personally, I don’t think ketosis is healthy in the long run. Eating everything in controlled portions and being mindful of sugar and bad fats sounds better and more sustainable.

• StrangeFox

June 7, 2017 at 12:31 am

I think you’re smart not to try anything you’re not going to stick to or else the changes you see aren’t going to be permanent. πŸ™‚ I personally don’t like crash diets, and I see ketosis marketed like that a lot because it’s so hard for most people to stick to. (Kudos to Polediva for sticking to it!) I LOVE pasta so I could never do it long term, either.

One thing I do to try and get my veggies in (I’m bad for this too!), is replace pasta noodles with veggies that have been “spiralized.” Veggies like zucchini and squash can be used to make noodles with a spiralizer and with all of the delicious sauce on top I can hardly tell the difference. That’s not to say it is a complete replacement for pasta, but it’s something I do every now and again for a change and it helps me feel a little healthier. It is a bit more work than pasta, but it’s also kind of fun. To cut back on wine I restrict wine consumption to one glass per day on the weekends, and I force myself to work out or do yoga before my wine so I’m not inclined to guzzle it. Of course…special occasions are excepted! πŸ˜‰ You don’t have to do any of the above if it doesn’t work for you, but little, sustainable changes like this will help more than you think.

It would be awesome if you kept a diary of your progress! When you’re losing weight or toning up a little at a time it’s hard to see and easy to get discouraged. Also, I found keeping a food diary really helped me understand where I could improve my diet. Good luck on exams!

Page 1 of 2