StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Elbowstands

• Elbowstands

Posted by PoleWithSoul on June 27, 2018 at 6:23 pm

Hi, this is my first time on the forum 🙂 I am practicing my elbowstand and want to know if it would be good as a beginner to try and lift my head off the floor with a neck tilt that puts me eyes looking ahead of me instead of behind me. I see pics like that online…is it advanced or is it ok for me to try!? What difference does head lifted or rested on the ground make?

I’m still working on lifting my legs, so far all I can do is touch my back to the pole.

PoleWithSoul replied 5 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • x falcon 3 0 x

June 28, 2018 at 6:45 pm

Welcome, PoleWithSoul! Can you clarify if it’s forearm stand that you are working on or really balancing on your elbows in which case wow 😉

• PoleWithSoul

June 28, 2018 at 6:53 pm

😆 girl no! I am following Veena’s video in the “beginner” section called “Elbowstand”.

• x falcon 3 0 x

June 28, 2018 at 8:11 pm

Oh hahaha 😉 They are the same thing. I am inconsistent with this practice but I always start from the beginning and focus on my foundation and leave my head neutral. Foundation for me is where my forearms are placed, how my shoulders stack above my elbows then where I can stack my hips over my shoulders in that order. Then my core and hamstrings come in to play with where I can lift my legs one at a time with control. My head is neutral or chin slightly tucked to start. If I am away from a wall I can somersault safely with the chin tuck. When I am comfortable enough balancing with toes pointed at the ceiling I move on to looking toward my hands cuz eventually, for me, my goal is to look at my toes with legs bent. That recruits more involvement of the entirety of the back side. I’m sure Veena has great tips for you. There are many techniques with this move I’ve found from yoga and contortion. Depends on your personal end goal.

• Veena

Administrator
    June 28, 2018 at 8:35 pm

Hi PolewithSoul!

Here’s a little video I made showing the differences between all the “stands” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmIciddJyPY

Working on the Forearm stand which is head off the floor is more difficult and requires more shoulder and triceps strength, not to mention more balance! There’s no harm in working on the head off the floor variation, just be careful that you don’t get into a habit of arching your back to stay balanced. It’s really common when first learning the head off the ground (forearm stand) variation.

• PoleWithSoul

June 29, 2018 at 1:56 am

Thanks ladies