StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Cartwheel off the pole

• Cartwheel off the pole

Posted by Dewy Rose Jenny on November 2, 2019 at 6:19 pm

I’m attempting to learn how to do a cartwheel off the pole, I’m 39 turning 40 at the end of February and I’v never mastered the simple seeming basic cartwheel!!!! I have this goal/dream of being able to cartwheel fully before my 40th

Does any one have any tips on this trick for training them, i’v watched and followed along with a few youtube videos but I’m still struggling, are there any strength training tips? ARe there any pole moves that I could be doing to learn how to kick up my back leg, that seems to be where my problem lies I have this fear of kicking my legs over and around in the air. So I was wondering can I incorporate/combine pole training that will help with the cart wheel? I’m a strong beginner/baby intermediate poler. I’m also thinking that maybe getting the cartwheel will help with my inverts since I’m strong enough but I seem to have a mental block when it comes to getting my hips/legs up past my head in the air.

Thanks for any advice 🙂

Suzanna replied 4 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Dewy Rose Jenny

November 2, 2019 at 6:26 pm

I’m thinking maybe the elbowstand lesson and the stands routine might be a good place to start?

• Veena

Administrator
    November 2, 2019 at 7:31 pm

Do you mean you want to do a Cartwheel mount? https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/4d8361e8-4b5c-46df-a8e6-5d4b0ac37250

This thread may help too https://www.studioveena.com/forums/view/5daf3f29-daac-480e-8489-2835ac110002#bottom

The Stands routine is a great place to start, yes!

• Dewy Rose Jenny

November 3, 2019 at 1:52 am

Lol… Someday I’d love to work on a cartwheel mount but that’s way above my pay grade right now. I’m still working on getting my basic invert clean and pretty. No I mean a basic cartwheel that most kids figure out on the playground in elementary school.

I tried as a kid and never quite figured it out, got laughed at so stopped trying, then as a adult felt silly for wanting to learn it, but secretly it’s always been a desire to learn a cartwheel. So now Iv set the goal by 29th February my 40th

Veena do you think the stands routine will help build strength and confidence for it?

• Veena

Administrator
    November 3, 2019 at 3:59 am

Haha, ok. I was confused when I saw you we just inverting and a beg?int poler! I thought there are so many names for moves maybe it was a way of exiting from invert! Yes, the stands routine will very much help. Also work on handstands against the wall etc. The more you get your body accustom to being upside down the better. 🙂

• amelia2000

November 3, 2019 at 8:21 am

As for gettng used to being upside down on the pole, crossed knee release is good for that (and you can exit into a handstand) and if you can do a side climb, you can get into lots of inverted moves from there. Veena has a tutorial for a non invert gemini.
    Practising fankicks is good for strengthening and kicking legs over and are good transitional moves.
    Btw I’ve never mastered a cartwheel either 😛 I’m a wimp when it comes to handstands too haha 😉

• Dewy Rose Jenny

November 5, 2019 at 11:16 pm

Thanks for the advice great idea with working on fan kicks to get used to kicking my legs over, I think that’s one of my biggest hurdles is the kicking the legs up and over. I”ll start working on the stands routine and see how I progress 🙂

• Suzanna

November 10, 2019 at 10:42 pm

I have never done a cartwheel in my life until 52 year old (2 years ago). Now I can do them. Working on your handstands (do chest-to-wall variations) will build shoulder strength and you get used to being upside down. They are small little baby progressions of cartwheels… read this post from Kirsty and you will get some good tips there: https://www.garagegymgirl.com/blog/cartwheels