StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Brand New at Mid-Fifties

• Brand New at Mid-Fifties

Posted by kristine55 on May 21, 2016 at 1:51 pm

Hello everyone!
    I am brand new to pole fitness, in my mid-fifties and recently decided to get my body in the best possible shape for a variety of reasons. As a result of that decision, I am now vegan and have lost 50 pounds over that last 6 months.
    Took one intro to pole class and realized I want to learn this.Looking forward to getting a pole and beginning the 30 day program. I am blown away by the strength and grace of pole athletes and look forward to becoming one.
    Can’t wait to see what a difference a year will make. Right now I will focus on strength, conditioning and flexibility.
    Anyone else starting this adventure at this age?

kristine55 replied 7 years, 10 months ago 15 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Lee lee

May 21, 2016 at 5:12 pm

Welcome to SV!

I’m not in my 50’s, but I know there are a few ladies here that are open about starting aerial later in life.

Enjoy the 30 day take off, it’s a very helpful program.

• Runemist34

May 21, 2016 at 5:15 pm

Welcome!
    I am also not in my 50’s (I’m actually 30) but I know there are some other ladies around here that are doing awesome things in their 50’s and above!
    I hope you have lots of fun, listen to your body, and connect to a new self that you love!

• Veena

Administrator
    May 21, 2016 at 5:50 pm

Hi and welcome! You’ll find many women here are your age, there’s a pretty big variety. Age is just a number anyway and anytime is a good time to decide to reach new health and fitness goals. I hope you enjoy my program. Let me know if you have any questions!

• Kellye Perkins

May 21, 2016 at 11:42 pm

Hi Kristine and welcome to the time of your life! I’m 58 now, started pole at 55. When I started I couldn’t even hold my feet off of the floor in a pole hold – just slid right to the floor on my knees! With Veena’s lessons I have mastered most intermediate and a few advanced moves and combos. I also lost weight after 50. Went from 173 to 132 while belly dancing. Started pole and put on a few pounds of muscle. I hope you can get enough protein on a vegan diet to build the muscle you will need to feel good and have the energy required to pole. My calories were too low and I had some hair thinning. When I ate better nutrition the hair thinning stopped and its starting to look better. Be kind to your body, I suffered a few wrist and shoulder injuries trying to do too much too soon:)

• RissK

May 22, 2016 at 12:47 pm

Welcome! 😊 I’m 42 and started just over a year ago. My strength has improved so much…I’m doing things now that I watched videos about last summer! Protein is a definite must to repair your muscles, and as a vegan you need all the essential amino acids to make it happen, so variety is key. All of Veena’s programs and lessons are phenomenal! Clear, concise and easy to follow so you’ll be posting vids in no time! I don’t post much, but I read and watch those that do. Keep your joints healthy, so your muscles can work. That’s my block right now, struggling with a semi-frozen shoulder and a left hip and ankle dysfunction…thank goodness for my therapist! Lol. We look forward to seeing some of your progress and hearing your point of view when you feel like weighing in on something. 😍

• kristine55

May 22, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and perspectives. I am really looking forward to this!

• Ldadams426622

May 22, 2016 at 3:44 pm

My name is Lisa and I’m 48. I’ve been pole dancing for about 1 year. I go to a pole studio 4 days per week and I use videos when I’m at home. I am now able to do moves I never thought I could do. It might take me longer than the younger girls, but I eventually learn it. Age is just a number!

• Elyse Hauke

May 22, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Welcome to our wonderful community Kristine. Congratulations on your recent weight loss! Can’t wait for you to get a pole at home, you just won’t believe how much pole can do for your body until you experience it for yourself. Having a pole at home will help you to practice more and reach your pole and fitness goals quicker than you might think. Excited to follow you on your journey!

• Neesy118

May 23, 2016 at 12:34 am

Welcome! 43 here, been poling for a few years now and still a beginner. But that’s perfectly OK with me. For me, pole is about how it makes me feel not so much what I can do. Enjoy your journey ♡

• hookedonpole

May 23, 2016 at 3:26 am

Welcome! I am 60, started pole at 50. So glad you found this site and community on SV. It is the best. I have always done some sort of fitness workout, but pole is the one I’ve stayed with the longest. Even though I probably won’t do what the youngin’s are doing, the new fancy acrobatic stuff, I am VERY happy with what I have accomplished. I also could not hold my feet off of the floor in a pole hold even though I was involved in an intense weight class at the time. This site and Veena’s lessons have been a life saver and I’ve learned so much. Hope you will be sharing your pole journey here. I am thoroughly enjoying my season of life at 60 because of my wonderful husband and pole. 🙂

• Rachel Osborne

May 23, 2016 at 3:26 am

Welcome! I am 45. I restarted pole 3 years ago and got my own pole 2 years ago. For the last year I have trained alone, with SV tutorials and social media challenges as my motivation. I don’t categorize myself as intermediate, advanced or whatever. I just do my thing but I find most scope for dance joy and creative self expression on spin pole, doing classic fundamental pole moves – many of which are categorized as beginner or intermediate. I do like some advanced tricks but I think I could spend years playing in leg hangs and pole sits and hip holds and never be bored. Welcome to the pole family. Enjoy your flying time.

• grayeyes

May 24, 2016 at 3:12 am

I started at age 44 and am about to turn 47 next week. I’m kind of amazed what my nearly 47-year-old body can do and I have no intention of stopping anytime soon. Welcome.

• lolamclachlan5528

June 7, 2016 at 7:35 am

Hi Kristine! I’m 55 (for another 22 days anyway) and am also just starting here. I took a couple pole classes at a local studio over the past couple years but never stuck with it because there was no clear path to learning basics. Now I am on day 10 of Veena’s 30 day program and I love the way I am getting stronger and that there are laid out lessons that teach you skills in the order you should learn them. It will be fun to keep in touch to support each other as we progress!

• jennymacgibbs9062

June 7, 2016 at 9:03 pm

I started pole at 49 and am now 51 and in the best shape of my life, even better than when I did 2 hours of ballet every day. Never too late to pole! Enjoy your body and your new friends and don’t be afraid to be sexy! It’s a whole new world.

• Colleen Larson

June 7, 2016 at 9:24 pm

Welcome! I’ll be 54 this year. I started at 50. I make sure to eat right and exercise (running, weight lifting) as well as pole. That helps me to be just as strong (and sometimes stronger) than women younger than me. As Veena said, age is just a number, and it’s just a number if you take care of yourself. HAVE FUN!!

Page 1 of 2