StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Best Video Camera for Pole Videos?

• Best Video Camera for Pole Videos?

Posted by M Darling on May 8, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Hi everyone, I want to buy a camera soon to be able to post video’s on here. Just wondering your reviews and opinions on your video camera? I am looking for something easy to use, but also that has good quality. Thanks in advance for any advice. 🙂

Krista Bocko replied 9 years, 12 months ago 5 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    May 8, 2014 at 9:22 pm

I use my phone and iPad a LOT. For the lessons I use a far more ‘fancy’ canon camera. If you have a video capable phone it’s super easy to upload to the site directly from your phone or tablet.

• M Darling

May 8, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Thanks so much Veena. I have an LG Android phone, it does have a camera and all, but not a lot of memory. Perhaps I should just upgrade the phone. I do think having a good quality recorder would be nice though. What model of Canon do you use? I want to post videos on here, but will also use the camera for outdoor adventures and family outings as well… Cheers! 🙂

• WebJunk

May 9, 2014 at 3:31 pm

I would not spend for a new phone for camera or video capabilities. (Hey! Anyone remember when phones were used to speak with your voice to someone?) Cameras are still better especially if using for real photos and they are lousy for phone calls 🙂 If you already have a phone or tablet with video capabilities you could try and see if it good enough. There are some devices with still cameras but can actually do video if you install the right application.
    Many still cameras also do video although. There are several downsides to that:
    1) Lack of real image (camera movement) stabilization (not needed if using a tripod)
    2) Can’t see the viewfinder/screen to see if you are in the picture when videoing yourself
    You did the move perfect for the first time and you were out of the shot!
    3) Zooms are more limited & more hands to adjust
    4) lack of real time autofocus. Have seen even on here where someone is only in focus on one side of the pole.
    5) Some still cameras can overheat the sensors when doing too much video.

Video cameras also do still photos but there are some downsides to that as well. Also as was discussed on here before here: https://www.studioveena.com/forums/view/How_do_you_edit_20140417040557
    , be leery of cameras that say they do HD. Most are not true HD like your TV. Don’t expect to spend a few hundred dollars and get movie quality video.
    I have both still & video cameras. My favorite for video is the Canon FS200 (replaced by the FS300) although several years old. Was over $300 new but can be found for $250 new and used under $100. Its clear, accurate colors, reliable & very easy to use. Also have a more expensive video camcorder I hate as its too bulky & many buttons and several still DSLR cameras I love which I use occasionally for video.

• Webmaster

Administrator
    May 9, 2014 at 4:05 pm

As a photographer, the rule of thumb is “the best camera is the one you have with you”. That goes for video cameras as well.

Unless you are shooting production video to sell there is rarely value in a separate camera from your phone any more.

If you are short on memory on your phone I suggest installing drop box and using it to sync video to your computer to keep your phone clear.

• WebJunk

May 9, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Sorry Webmaster I have to strongly disagree with you. Hope that is allowed?

“the best camera is the one you have with you” is only meant to mean using the camera you have is better than missing a shot. But when you have a choice to which camera is with you, then there is a lot to say about photographic quality.
    There are too many videos on here where I cannot even tell what move they are trying to show. Tumblr, Instagram etc. and even on here there are many “apologies” about the photo or video quality. Easily resolved with a better camera.

But don’t take my word for it, Veena herself does say in the post above “For the lessons I use a far more ‘fancy’ canon camera” so maybe you should let her know she only needs to use her phone camera.

• Webmaster

Administrator
    May 9, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Of course you can disagree.

“It’s not the camera its the photographer”, “The best camera is the one you have with you”. I have a pro friend who took only his iPhone to Japan for six months and used it to produce a documentary.

As to being unable to see a move, I’m guessing you are referring to the people recording with their 320×200 netbook camera. Admittedly those don’t really fit the need or framerate.

Veena does her lessons on the Canon, but everything else on the iPad and iPhone. Is M Darling doing video lessons?

• Krista Bocko

May 9, 2014 at 4:48 pm

I dont like to record on my phone…maybe this is due to my setup (camera looking straigt to windows). Video isnt clear on my phone. I have a VADO and love it. Aerial Amy blogged about it.

• Webmaster

Administrator
    May 9, 2014 at 4:48 pm

The one suggestion I can make whether you get a new camera or use your phone is make sure the lighting is in front of you and not behind you relative to the camera. When you put the light behind you is when you end up with the silhouette effect that can make it hard to see.

• M Darling

May 9, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Thanks so much for all of the replies and advice. You all gave me some great information. I figured I would ask on here, because when I look at actual product reviews elsewhere, there is so much conflicting information (some people say somethings amazing while others will give an awful review). Since people actively post videos and pictures on this site, I was curious to know if there was a specific model camera that most people like to use or if most are using iPhones. I saw the Aerial Amy blog about the “Vado” camera, I am considering that because it does seem user friendly. The Canon camera would probably be more advanced than what I need (and M. Darling will not be doing video lessons, Lol), but it would be nice to have a great camera and really learn how to work with it (and maybe I can find one on eBay for a decent price. My android phone camera did used to work well, but I have had it for years and there is some type of glitch with the memory. I barely have any apps and I am always having to delete everything because of “Low on Memory” message. I will look into DropBox, but my phone has a mind of its own now (although I will say it was great for the first 2 years) and it usually won’t let me download any apps without it crashing. I am very impressed with iPhone, the pictures really do have a nice quality in my opinion. The only problem I can see with just using a phone would be what you have mentioned about stabilization. There really is so much to consider. Thank you ALL for taking the time to help me, I appreciate it!

• Webmaster

Administrator
    May 9, 2014 at 8:34 pm

It should be noted as well that the iPhone and modern Samsung phones do image stabilization.

• Krista Bocko

May 9, 2014 at 8:52 pm

I like that i can use a bendy tripod with the vado, which makes it easier to use than my phone. There is also the issue of music…i i am playing music through my phone, i cant video with it obviously…