StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Basic pole climb/hold

• Basic pole climb/hold

Posted by ifigeniasusana9866 on May 9, 2020 at 4:31 am

So I realize patience is needed with basic pole climb, but I was wondering if there are any modifications to help gain strength while having proper placement. With both the climb and the hold, I am only able to lift off the floor by extending my arms. I try to keep my scapula neutral and I am certainly pushing down. I will post 2 videos on my page because I can not seem to load them here. One picture is scapula placement in climb and the other is in a hold.

And sort of related, is it possible to have a group for plus-sized dancers so we can have tips, modifications, and such? I am a visual leaner and it certainly helps me to see how others modified positions. For example, I can not cross my legs in sit position, I cross my ankles as Veena suggests but it is not very stable. Maybe others have different suggestions?

ifigeniasusana9866 replied 3 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Jihaleh

May 9, 2020 at 9:48 am

Heyy! so I filmed a little thing for what helped me when I was practicing my pole holds and climbs (which I still am hehe) and I am uploading it now. I hope it helps a little bit. Please obviously bare in mind I’m in no way an expert and I’m just going off what helped me as a plus size dancer 🙂

But on the topic of plus size dancers, I don’t know if there’s necessarily a group, but I’ve linked up with another member here on facebook whom I’m sure would be excited to start a little group. If you want to add me, my contact on there is on my page

• ifigeniasusana9866

May 9, 2020 at 5:15 pm

Great! Thank you! I will check out fb!

• Veena

Administrator
    May 9, 2020 at 7:21 pm

Hi! We don’t have groups here as studioveena is about sharing and support these means keeping posts so all members can see, which helps more people!! 🥰 Imagine how many come through and feel inspired when they see posts like this!

Are you going through the 30 day program? This will help build strength and technique and keep an order to your learning.

Practice is so important, it doesn’t matter your size, building muscle memory is super helpful. I looked at your videos (you can always post the links to them in a discussion if you want) You’re doing well!! From that angle, I’m unsure if you were working on the modified pole hole with one arm extended and other bend or regular pole hold both bent? Working with BOTH arms bent and scapula back and down is what I suggest as a beginner. Until you train the scapula by using pole holds and doing pole conditioning I don’t suggest doing climbs right away. Pole hold first, then climb.

Once you’re ready to climb Taking a look at the lower leg grips will help as well https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/5e6a6b55-0434-43e9-a1a6-5bb5ac110005

This spinning pole drill would be helpful as well. https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/5e2b2799-f7a8-4696-9e5e-2c27ac110005

As far as pole sit, you don’t need to cross anything as long as you’re tipping the hips enough.😊 Keep at it!

• ifigeniasusana9866

May 9, 2020 at 7:34 pm

I am doing the 30 day to take off! Ah, I completely missed the whole both arms bent! And I will keep working climb hold and turning my hips! Thank you guys!!!