StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Activating Lower Abs While On the Pole

• Activating Lower Abs While On the Pole

Posted by StrangeFox on August 24, 2017 at 4:42 am

Anyone have any tips on activating the lower abs while on the pole? I can finding my lower abs on occasion when I do Veena’s ab routines, but for whatever weird reason I can’t seem to get my lower abs activated when I invert or do shoulder mount prep. What are the best exercises for finding/activating the lower abs when you don’t have the ground as your guide?

I have OK upper body strength now and I tend to over-compensate with it when I invert. I’ve only managed to get my lower abs activated once while doing side pole hold crunches and the sensation was super odd, but afterwards I managed ONE tuck invert (HURRAH!). So I know I’ve got at least some strength but I have no idea how to use the muscles! It’s the same with SM preps. I can lift my body off of the ground and dangle there but there is zero activation below the belly button so I can’t get my hips up.

I would love to engage my abs more when I invert so I can take some of the strain off of my upper body. πŸ˜€

StrangeFox replied 6 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • dustbunny

August 25, 2017 at 3:55 am

Keep practicing on the ground until it becomes more natural. Eventually with practice it will become easier and you will be able to find that activation in other positions too.

• StrangeFox

August 26, 2017 at 1:06 am

Thanks dustbunny! One of the girls at the conditioning class I go to was telling me to do shoulder mount prep from the floor too, as well as doing them from a squat type of position so I could get used to activating my core and curling upwards. I think I’ve seen that in Veena’s vids as well. I’m going to give that a try next time I train and see if it helps with getting my hips up for my invert. I made good progress this week and I’ve got a pretty controlled step and sweep invert with far less strain on my upper back (on both sides! Yay!)

On a somewhat related note, whenever I mention difficulties lifting my hips in SM preps everyone tells me they have great success using the princess grip. Yet, we’re not taught this in class and I don’t see that grip on here, either. Is it a bad grip to use?

• dustbunny

August 26, 2017 at 3:52 am

Not sure exactly what you are referring to for the princess grip but the Veena grip is a great option to cup grip. Check out Veena’s shoulder mount lesson. I think she shows it there but basically you move your outside (top) hand around to the front of the pole in a basic baseball grip. Ò˜º

• StrangeFox

August 26, 2017 at 4:37 am

Haha, I’m not sure if it goes by different name but here’s a pic of princess grip I found on the internet.

I’ve tried Veena grip and cup grip so far and I’m OK with both. Cup grip is how we’re being taught in class. πŸ™‚

• dustbunny

August 26, 2017 at 5:33 am

Ah yes, I know that one too. Very common with the aussie polers I believe. I’ve not had much luck with that one yet. Ò˜º

• StrangeFox

August 26, 2017 at 7:02 pm

I’m going to record myself doing some preps today…cup grip vs princess grip. I’ll let you know if it makes a difference for me! I’m skeptical I’ll have any luck with it because my issues are all in the lower body.

• Veena

Administrator
    August 26, 2017 at 10:16 pm

Yep that a photo of the princess grip.

What type of prep are you doing?

Now about the “upper verses lower” abs. The rectus abdominis (the six pack muscle) and the muscle group people refer to when “targeting” upper or lower abs, is one whole muscle. It works as one whole muscle, not upper or lower. They’ve done lab studies and there’s not much distinction between upper and lower when exercising. I’m not sure when this term started but it’s not dying anytime soon LOL many fitness pros still use it!! Anyway the rectus abdominis works as one, there are certain positions when you will FEEL either the upper half or lower half more, but you can’t actually target one without the other…. and there’s really no need to. No one says they need to work their upper hamstring more!

With that in mind the best thing to do is work the body as a whole. Focusing too much on something we think is a weakness may be cheating you out of a quality whole body workout. There’s a reason you won’t see much for “target” training in my lessons. Unless you have a very obvious side that is stronger or a physical therapist has found an imbalance, whole body training is best. For example, if you train abs always train the back as well…it’s about balance.

Our legs are heavy, some of us have very long legs making the leverage even more challenging in Shoulder mounts. Some of us have wide hips or big booties and this might mean you have to condition or train more than someone who is tiny and has short legs. Shoulder mounts are hard….some may never shoulder mount and that’s ok!! Don’t fall into the trap of focusing on something you perceive as a problem, you’re core is probably fine and worrying about it being a problem can actually make it an issue. Our bodies respond to what the mind dwells on, so if you keep thinking “my abs are so weak” it’s like paddling up stream! Look back at where you started, see how strong you’ve gotten!

Also have you tried my tips for shoulder mounts? https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/58e3e122-07f4-48a4-9b94-0440ac110006 or the SM program?

• StrangeFox

August 27, 2017 at 4:21 am

Veena – thanks so much for the clarification!! The rectus abdominis is what I’m talking about, and when you said it’s one muscle I thought “wait…is everything I know about abs a lie?” and I went and looked at an actual medical drawing and it looks like everything I thought I knew about abs *is* a lie – it IS one muscle. Sheesh! Everyone talks about upper vs lower abs so I never gave it any thought before. Heck, I even read an article about isolating each ab muscle in the rectus abdominus and moving them independantly of one another. *facepalm*

I’m very short and “bottom heavy” with wide hips, a booty, and muscular legs. So yeah, it might just be that I’m trying to lift a lot of weight and I need more conditioning. It’s crazy how our bodies make us good at different things. I’ve gone to a few other classes and met girls built like me and they’ve all got the same struggle – how do I get my hips to the pole? And they’re all pretty comfortable with the same moves I am. XD

I’ve seen the tips for SM and they helped me get the prep! πŸ™‚ I’m just trying to lift from standing like I would in a regular SM. I know SM is pretty strength intensive so I’m not expecting to get it anytime soon. I’ve just been having a bad pole month and feel like I’m “stuck” with a lot of things, so I’ve just been trying different things to try and mix it up. I’ve also been having a blast dancing and I’ve seen great improvements in the way I move. Thanks for your words of encouragement – they are much appreciated! ҝ€ πŸ™‚

I’m posting a pic here to show you the type of position I’m stuck in when I do SM prep. I’m stuck in a similar type of position in my tuck invert, too. I just can’t get those hips up so I’m parallel to the ground. I get the same result regardless of whether I’m standing or lower on the pole, and I’m doing the step and sweep method so I am using some controlled momentum. I’ve tried Veena grip, cup grip, and now princess grip and it doesn’t make much of a difference. It’s probably a strength issue. I’m debating whether to do the invert or the SM program first. I just need to figure out how to fit it into my schedule so I still have rest days between the program, pole class, and conditioning class.

• Veena

Administrator
    August 27, 2017 at 11:34 pm

Are you trying to lift from standing or are you using my controlled momentum method? It will be much harder on your body and more difficult in general if you try inverts and shoulder mounts from a dead standstill. If you don’t know the difference between kicking (wrong) and controlled momentum check out my Tips for controlled inverts https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/567a2af8-fba0-4a0f-bd3c-0010ac110002.

Also I don’t use that position as a prep move because it usually doesn’t help prepare anything. The only benefit I see in endlessly kicking up from shoulder mount or invert position is to learn timing. Even if you don’t have time to do the invert or shoulder mount program I suggest taking a few minutes each day to just watch the lessons and read descriptions. You’ll see what I use for shoulder mount prep πŸ™‚

• Veena

Administrator
    August 27, 2017 at 11:36 pm

Oops I see you’re trying the controlled momentum πŸ™‚

• StrangeFox

August 28, 2017 at 11:58 pm

Yep! Controlled momentum… I’m not ready for deadlifting yet. πŸ™‚ In the studio we lift into our SM position (with controlled momentum) for prep, but it might be that they’re having us do it just to get used to the timing and the feel of it. Plus, there are a couple of girls who can get parallel to the ground, hold the position, and lower with control, so this type of prep is a little more useful for them than it is for me. I checked out some of the conditioning in the SM program, and it actually looks not only doable but enjoyable! I thought it might be a bit advanced for me, but it’s looking like it might help me train other things I’m struggling with right now, too.

In the fall I have less sports, so more time to focus on pole. I checked my schedule and I’ll definitely be able to start a program this week. If I notice that one of the heavier days in the schedule falls right next to my pole class, or the conditioning class, is it OK to take a rest day and postpone the program by a few days or will that mess up my progress? If I don’t have my deadlift or aerial invert, would you recommend doing the invert program before the SM program? Sorry for all of the questions…I’m just excited to add more pole to my routine! πŸ˜€

• Veena

Administrator
    August 29, 2017 at 3:57 am

It’s ok to spread the program out a bit, it’s more of an issue with the 30 day take off because it’s meant for those who have no previous training so keeping up with the days is helpful. Not such a big deal with the more advanced programs. Totally recommend the invert program before the SM. πŸ™‚

• StrangeFox

August 29, 2017 at 4:21 am

Thanks Veena! I was tempted by the SM program because there are caterpillars in it (I have grown to love this move), but my invert could use a lot of work so I did day 1 of the invert program tonight. πŸ™‚ I have also used your method of figuring out hand positioning for inverts, and it does help me keep my scaps neutral. I was able to invert perfectly fine with no scap twinges (not quite pain, but you can feel your rhomboid being stretched to its limit when you invert with poor form). I will keep you posted on my progress. πŸ˜€

• Veena

Administrator
    August 29, 2017 at 4:46 am

That’s great news!!!!

• dlp5057

August 29, 2017 at 2:03 pm

I don’t know if this is an issue for you, or not, but as I recall, looking up and really squeezing my elbows together helped me get more consistent results.

Page 1 of 2