StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions ART (Active Release Technique) treatment for shoulder?

• ART (Active Release Technique) treatment for shoulder?

Posted by LatinPoler on December 8, 2020 at 7:24 pm

Hi, has anybody had experience or being treated with ART? My chiropractor is doing it to fix my shoulder, he thinks I have impingement and he’s expecting to release and create space with this technique. I’ve had a few sessions already and I’m not sure if I’m feeling progress… some days I feel better than others. Thanks!!!

LatinPoler replied 3 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    December 9, 2020 at 2:07 am

I’ve not heard of it. Sound interesting!

• monica kay

December 21, 2020 at 2:08 am

sounds familiar to me but i cannot remember if someone was just telling me about it or if I actually experienced it. (I guess I’ve had alot of body work done lol) Did it involve some metal tool rubbed against the skin?

• LatinPoler

December 21, 2020 at 4:29 am

No, it was manipulation with hands. I think there are other techniques done with the metal device. I received 5 sessions and I believe it helped but it didn’t fully fix the problem. What I didn’t like about this chiropractor is that he just treated the symptoms, never did a full evaluation to fix the cause of the problem, neither suggested maintenance exercises or stretches to continue or complement my treatment at home… I had to ask all the time if I could do this or that, if this stretch was recommended, etc. I’m waiting at least until January to see how it evolves, I may visit a sports doctor in January. I usually prefer doctors anyway, but wanted to be open minded an try a chiropractor, since many people find them helpful (and cheaper😬).

• monica kay

December 22, 2020 at 5:15 am

LatinPoler- i suspect that *SOME* body work ppl do not want to tell you how to fix your problem bc if everyone knew how to avoid injury then they’d be out of a job. I’ve experienced that with some… they brush off the questions. Not all are like that tho- i’ve shuffled thru a few body workers and found some that genuinely offer cross training advice that offsets whatever imbalances pole creates in my body. I found that studying anatomy and physiology is extremely worthwhile. I stopped hurting my neck and back when I got some certifications bc I understood better what is going on muscularly in my body. Sorry for so much text- but I really think that pole dancers really need to protect their bodies- we are a rare collective. We dance even when we hurt. 😀

• LatinPoler

December 22, 2020 at 1:51 pm

Yep, that was my feeling too… I didn’t like either that he told me my issue was typically fixed between 4-6 ART sessions and that I would feel relief just after one session. Nothing of this happened 😒 So, he set false expectations!! No good. I think I did improve a little though, but the issue is not fixed. They called me a couple of times to follow up and see how I was feeling, if I wanted to setup another appointment, but I don’t think I’m coming back. I’m going to a sports doctor next.
    I do not have any meaningful certification in fitness but I understand anatomy a little, since I always research my pains and injuries. It sound I need to learn more!! Do you recommend any book or training?

• monica kay

December 22, 2020 at 11:24 pm

i dont have too much to recommend. My certs are in Yoga- that was expensive so i’m not suggesting you do that but I wanted to teach yoga so… I did get a neat book awhile back called Bullet Proof Your Shoulders and it was pretty good. There is a great resource called PT the Pole- she has an IG and a YT- she has a book i might get one day. I’ve learned some valuable stuff here on Veena as well.

• polegramma

December 22, 2020 at 11:51 pm

Hey everyone, I had ART for a leg injury and it helped quite a bit. That said, I also had received physical therapy and I think the combination of doing all the exercises I was prescribed plus the ART was a good idea. For shoulder problems (and I’ve had 3 frozen shoulders) a visit to the sports physician or orthopedist AND physical therapy was a must for me each time. A sports medicine physician could probably give you some good advice.

• LatinPoler

December 23, 2020 at 12:37 am

Thank you!! Monica, I will check those resources. No, I’m not planning to teach yoga 😉
    Polegramma, thanks for the insights!! Yep, unless I feel a clear improvement trend on my shoulder, I will go to the sports physician in January… the one I’m planning to go has PT in the same facility so I guess I’ll end up there!