ART (Active Release Technique) treatment for shoulder?

LatinPoler Previous Paid Member
Hi, has anybody had experience or being treated with ART? My chiropractor is doing it to fix my shoulder, he thinks I have impingement and he’s expecting to release and create space with this technique. I’ve had a few sessions already and I’m not sure if I’m feeling progress... some days I feel better than others. Thanks!!!
Dec 8, 2020
Veena
I've not heard of it. Sound interesting!
Dec 9, 2020
monica kay Paid Member
sounds familiar to me but i cannot remember if someone was just telling me about it or if I actually experienced it. (I guess I've had alot of body work done lol) Did it involve some metal tool rubbed against the skin?
Dec 21, 2020
No, it was manipulation with hands. I think there are other techniques done with the metal device. I received 5 sessions and I believe it helped but it didn’t fully fix the problem. What I didn’t like about this chiropractor is that he just treated the symptoms, never did a full evaluation to fix the cause of the problem, neither suggested maintenance exercises or stretches to continue or complement my treatment at home... I had to ask all the time if I could do this or that, if this stretch was recommended, etc. I’m waiting at least until January to see how it evolves, I may visit a sports doctor in January. I usually prefer doctors anyway, but wanted to be open minded an try a chiropractor, since many people find them helpful (and cheaper😬).
Dec 21, 2020
monica kay Paid Member
LatinPoler- i suspect that *SOME* body work ppl do not want to tell you how to fix your problem bc if everyone knew how to avoid injury then they'd be out of a job. I've experienced that with some... they brush off the questions. Not all are like that tho- i've shuffled thru a few body workers and found some that genuinely offer cross training advice that offsets whatever imbalances pole creates in my body. I found that studying anatomy and physiology is extremely worthwhile. I stopped hurting my neck and back when I got some certifications bc I understood better what is going on muscularly in my body. Sorry for so much text- but I really think that pole dancers really need to protect their bodies- we are a rare collective. We dance even when we hurt. :D
Dec 22, 2020
Yep, that was my feeling too... I didn’t like either that he told me my issue was typically fixed between 4-6 ART sessions and that I would feel relief just after one session. Nothing of this happened 😒 So, he set false expectations!! No good. I think I did improve a little though, but the issue is not fixed. They called me a couple of times to follow up and see how I was feeling, if I wanted to setup another appointment, but I don’t think I’m coming back. I’m going to a sports doctor next.
I do not have any meaningful certification in fitness but I understand anatomy a little, since I always research my pains and injuries. It sound I need to learn more!! Do you recommend any book or training?
Dec 22, 2020
monica kay Paid Member
i dont have too much to recommend. My certs are in Yoga- that was expensive so i'm not suggesting you do that but I wanted to teach yoga so... I did get a neat book awhile back called Bullet Proof Your Shoulders and it was pretty good. There is a great resource called PT the Pole- she has an IG and a YT- she has a book i might get one day. I've learned some valuable stuff here on Veena as well.
Dec 22, 2020
polegramma Previous Paid Member
Hey everyone, I had ART for a leg injury and it helped quite a bit. That said, I also had received physical therapy and I think the combination of doing all the exercises I was prescribed plus the ART was a good idea. For shoulder problems (and I've had 3 frozen shoulders) a visit to the sports physician or orthopedist AND physical therapy was a must for me each time. A sports medicine physician could probably give you some good advice.
Dec 22, 2020
Thank you!! Monica, I will check those resources. No, I’m not planning to teach yoga 😉
Polegramma, thanks for the insights!! Yep, unless I feel a clear improvement trend on my shoulder, I will go to the sports physician in January... the one I’m planning to go has PT in the same facility so I guess I’ll end up there!
Dec 23, 2020

Lara von Mondberg
Pole dance and StudioVeena changed my life. I become stronger, more confident, more flexible and I found great friends. The lessons are extremely helpful. I am so grateful for this awesome experience!
more testimonials