StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions what style of dance best complements pole?

• what style of dance best complements pole?

Posted by Athena30 on December 8, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Hello everyone,

I was considering enrolling in dance classes at some point. What style of dancing aka hip hop, jazz, ballet would most complement or improve pole dancing? 

A good illustration of this point is a ballet dancer learning to pole dance. A ballet dancer can bring a lot of great skills to pole like balance and posture, fluidity, rhythm and timing. Pole Dancing is more of an athletic or sensual dance style, so ballet dancers can encounter problems too. They are usually not used to being sensual or very athletic, their bodies may be "stiff" as opposed to loose, their weight is often lifted as opposed to grounded, etc. This may result in the dancer looking like they are still dancing ballet while they are trying to pole dance. This makes learning pole challenging, and possibly frustrating (but well worth it!).

I read the above somewhere and it inspired me to start this thread

MoxieMeg replied 11 years, 5 months ago 11 Members · 18 Replies
  • 18 Replies
  • darling dearest

December 8, 2012 at 11:37 pm

I don't think there's one "best!"

Different styles and backgrounds bring something new, unique, and interesting to pole. As much as I like ballet-influenced styles, I also enjoy watching someone who comes from an exotic dance background, burlesque, gymnastics, and so on!

There's also a matter of your personal taste. As pretty as ballet is, I found that it doesn't quite click with me. I think you should try a few classes at first and see what really works for you.

• Modelesque

December 8, 2012 at 11:56 pm

I personally would LOVE to take Contemporary Dance lessons to complement my poling. I love the idea of being able to feel the music and lyric and actually dance WITH it if you know what I mean. I guess I got the idea from watching too many episodes of So You Think You Can Dance (they even had a pole number this year!) but just in general, whenever I see someone perform and it looks artistic and their musicality is just ON POINT it usually because they are also a really good lyrical/Contemporary dancer. Plus it gives you all the same flexibility and strength as ballet but I'd imagine you wouldn't come into any problems being "stiff" as you mentioned since the whole point of contempo is to be able to move with the music!

Just my two cents 🙂

• Sassypants

December 9, 2012 at 12:37 am

I agree. I think contemporary and pole go so beautifully together. Check out NYPolerina on youtube (Tracee Kafer, she's on SV too) if you want some examples. I get goosebumps watching her,

Honestly, though, I think being a well-rounded dancer would be MOST beneficial to pole. All styles have something to offer. I'd love to take a bunch of different dance classes, if I could.

• Athena30

December 9, 2012 at 12:46 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_CH9ubAk4c&list=HL1355035477&feature=mh_lolz

I watched this youtube video of Laurence Hilsum during this year's pole art competition. Is this contemporary? The combination is beautiful if it is. I will check out NYPolerina

• Sassypants

December 9, 2012 at 12:52 am

Yes, I would call that contemporary. That's a great video to show how important it is to integrate all styles of dance, actually. Check out her footwork at 2:04. Salsa, anyone? I actually havent seen that in pole before, but I like it.

• Empty

December 9, 2012 at 11:11 am

I took jazz and ballet in my entire adolescent years and it has its advantages in pole.
    Jazz is good if you like fast and timing oriented movements.
    Ballet will drill "point your toes!" forever in your brain but will add grace/lines.

Personally, now if i were to take any dance classes it would be lyrical or contemporary. It adds a element of emotion and connection to the music. 

Might as well share my fav. video while i'm here. This is how amazing adding contempory to pole looks. I strive to be this epic one day. 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ4TiYr55pA&feature=share&list=PLrfZW63GXti7-FCI8NE_YcldXyrvvzG8e

• moonflower

December 9, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I have two left feet and awkward arms, and everynon pole dance class has made me feel like a heel. This conversation is started to make me think I should suck it in and try dance classes again. Maybe pole has "fixed" my inability to control my extremities.

• Sassypants

December 9, 2012 at 12:39 pm

@moonflower, hey, the point of classes is to learn something, right? 🙂 What good would it be if you were already a perfect dancer?

• moonflower

December 9, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Right, Sassypants! I love your name btw. But ya, the last time I took a dance class I think I fell on some body. You take that pole away from me and I'm the biggest klutz in the world.

• Sassypants

December 9, 2012 at 12:54 pm

haha! 🙂

• minicoopergrl

December 10, 2012 at 5:52 am

I come from a background of competitive cheerleading.  For me, it helps with timing and when to give the attitude that comes with the song choice.  (find my Floor/Chair routine from Ms Xpose 2011 on YT, the ending pose says it all).  I also had to learn to point my toes and how to hit key points on music. 

I took dance all through HS (Modern, Ballet, Jazz and Tap) which gave me a good ground work to work on.  Ballet is the homebase of dance.  So many elements evolved from ballet to other dance styles.  I really want to take a hip hop class – just pure fun and not having to worry about some one telling you that your pointed toes look like crap.

• pantherchild

December 10, 2012 at 6:00 am

I love this conversation.  ðŸ™‚

I think that any background compliments and changes how you look when you pole–not just dance.  There's a gal at my studio who was a cheerleader and her style is very snappy and athletic.  Super trick heavy and very cleanly executed. She never wants to be right side up!  Another gal comes from a matrial arts background–lots and lots of power moves.  Then there's a couple of ballet backgrounds who bring in a lot of fluid grace.  And a gal who does gogo dancing.  She ends up doing these crazy things with her arms and I swear anyone else who does it looks silly, but she looks unreal!  There's a few people who are into Zumba, and bring that kind of repeating cadence to their dance. Oh, and a couple of yoga girls who bring that influance in.

Then there's people like me–I took some dance when I was like 12 and all I got out of it is a pretty solid point.  I'm clumsy and fall all the time. Pretty much, all I had going for me at the start was a really great personality, teehee.  But, you know, you grow into it.

Having all these different things that give different bits of flair to different people.  So, it's not just about dance.  It's about anything you can use to move and give yourself some uniqueness.  

That being said, I'd go for ballet–it really is the foundation for everything dance related and will teach you a lot about your body, control, and give you some amaaaazing stretches to take with you forever.

• darling dearest

December 10, 2012 at 6:10 am

I recall talking to someone, expressing my slight jealousy over girls who come from different dance/fitness backgrounds who are able to translate that into their movement, since I've had to learn from the ground up. They told me that sometimes it's even better that way, to start off with a clean slate. You get to discover your own movement within pole, unrestricted by any previous training… it gave me a lot to think about!

It's kind of like the Cutie Mark Crusaders and how they're super anxious to receive their cutie marks but Twilight Sparkle tells them how lucky they are to be at that stage where they are so full of potential and still have room to dream about the future.
    The My Little Pony reference is so appropriate.

• Deesse Jesse

December 10, 2012 at 7:54 am

ALL OF THE STYLES!!!

This might not be true but my suspicion is if you start ballet now, stiffness will never be a problem for you. The control that comes with keeping your body stiff is built up over years and years of classes. Plus if you're already taking pole (and I'm assuming for this thread, are an adult or close), you have already established some sort of body movement that will be influenced but probably not re-written…if that makes sense.

I took ballet for most of my childhood and I think it's pretty obviously influenced my style but I'm really glad I have the training. I also did jazz (LOVE!) and I tried a few classes of Fosse-style jazz which I would die to do again! It was very theatrical/musical which I love! That being said, I would also love to take a hip hop class because I know that kind of strong movement is not something I can do right now. Contemporary is or course amazing for pole, but I think all styles are! I would love if someone found a tap dancing pole number because that would be so cool! Or a bollywood-esque piece (I would so take those classes too!!), I mean the possibilities are endless!

Someone said it already but go try a few classes, push yourself to explore dance, and go with the classes you have the most fun in!

Happy dancing!

• bambi9

December 10, 2012 at 7:58 am

I am trying out modern dance.  I think it will help me play with a variety of body movements and how they can express emotion.  I am hoping to gain some insights!  I'll let you know if it works out!

Page 1 of 2