StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Woman Sues Crunch Fitness For Pole Dancing Injury

• SissyBuns

January 7, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Wow.

This is why studios have you sign a waiver before you take classes. Pole at your own risk!

• Trena

January 7, 2010 at 10:31 pm

I know the instructor should have been supervising her but if she knew she couldnt invert then why did she?

• Judy Jovanelly

January 7, 2010 at 11:30 pm

this makes me so mad ! certainly there should be a spotter around if people are inverting, but trena, you are right — that girl knew she wasn’t strong enough, so why did she invert in the first place ???? this is how rates for insurance, classes, gym memberships, etc go up !! people who have no business engaging in a particular sport or activity go and do it, get hurt, and then sue. grrrrrrrrrrrrr https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_thumbdown.gif

• Pheonmenon

January 8, 2010 at 12:21 am

echoing the above posters…i completely agree. why would you try something you know you are not strong enough to do? even with a spotter, i probably wouldn’t attempt it until i am at least strongly confident i cant execute it without busting my head open https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_redface.gif

• Rubi

January 8, 2010 at 12:36 am

I don’t want to jump to conclusions without more information, but it’s possible she didn’t know how to tell whether or not she is ready to invert (especially if she doesn’t get on pole forums with stickies about how to tell when you’re ready), and in fact her instructor may have assured her she was plenty strong enough. To people like us on StudioVeena, it is easy for us to forget that it may not be easy to tell if you’re strong enough or not.

If her instructor advised her that she may not be ready, then it’s a whole different story, though….

• Charley

January 8, 2010 at 1:06 am

Can I just say this is why we don’t teach inverting to those who are new to pole dancing. I don’t care if you work out everyday – pole is a different technique that if not done properly can seriously injure you.

Secondly to fall means she was able to get up there – so the student managed the invert – it sounds like sweaty palms got the best of her and she slipped. Which means even with a spotter she still would have fallen as a spotter breaks the fall not elimnates it.

Third – I am not super familiar with Crunch outside of them being a chain that actually offers pole class…but what are the qualifications at crunch to teach pole? Just group cert? Personal training certs? What about pole experience? Is this something that they look for in pole instructors?

• NickiLee88

January 8, 2010 at 1:56 am

This is why studios have you sign a waiver before you take classes.

Just a point for those who have studios/are thinking of opening one up. Waivers will almost never hold up if someone sues you for negligence…

• Stacia

January 8, 2010 at 3:59 am

Wow.

This is why studios have you sign a waiver before you take classes. Pole at your own risk!

I agree! You make the choice to try certain tricks based on what you think your ability is. Pole at your own risk!

• Stacia

January 8, 2010 at 4:00 am

Just a point for those who have studios/are thinking of opening one up. Waivers will almost never hold up if someone sues you for negligence…

Why won’t waivers hold up? Why even have them?

• Ava macKenzie

January 8, 2010 at 4:14 am

Wow!!!!!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cry.gif and I so want a membership at a crunch gym…They got a superb line up of classes!

• amy

January 8, 2010 at 5:57 am

i started taking class at sfactor, and have been there for a couple years. one thing that i will say about sfactor is that they have a VERY slow progression, and my teachers have ALWAYS suuuper stressed crunching into an invert and not kicking. so, i took it for granted. a couple months ago i bought a crunch membership because i am exploring other pole tricks that are not taught at sfactor. the first time i walked into a crunch class i was aghast. they are teaching women who are gym goers, and generally very strong, but they teach choppers to a mixed level class and don’t warn beginners from trying the tricks, don’t coach about which muscles to engage, and don’t really give you very good step-by-step instruction in the mixed classes. then you combine that with a one-upsmanship kind of environment, where it is bright lights and mirros and honestly pretty competitive and catty at times, and you have an environment where women are recklessly trying things they really shouldnt be doing. i’ve taken advanced classes that are a little more closely monitored, and some teachers are better than others and are more responsible than ohters, but in my opinion, crunch is NOT a good place to go to really learn tricks the right way using the right techniques as a beginner. other friends from sfactor have tried crunch classes and been similarly shocked. one has been adamant that "someone is going to get really hurt there". and even more crazy– i have an sfactor freind who went to sue ann wee for a dermatologist appointment last summer. my friend mentioned sfactor and pole classes to sue ann wee, who was very curious to learn more. sounds like sue ann went out, joined crunch right away, and literally injured herself within a month.

• verucablue

January 8, 2010 at 6:00 am

Why won’t waivers hold up? Why even have them?

Most waivers are unenfforcable. Or rather a waiver does not actually allow a company to take away a persons right to sue. A contract giving away your right to legal protection is unenforcable.

• amcut

January 8, 2010 at 6:01 am

She actually said she wasn’t strong enough.. then did it anyways without a spotter.
    Nice.

It’s worse than hot coffee at mcdonalds.
    It’s like, she looked at the coffee, felt it, decided it was too hot, told people it was too hot, then poured it all over herself.

• Ava macKenzie

January 8, 2010 at 6:08 am

I have been reading bad reviews of crunch on epinions.com or something…anywho as a beginner I wouldn’t try to do advance moves period. I know what I can and cant do and will not allow myself to freely participate. I know when to bow out, so I wouldn’t necessarily sue crunch if I got hurt. If people would read some of these waivers and release forms these gyms have you sign, you are also responsible for knowing your own level and when things aren’t right for you. definitely in a mixed level class. Some people just need to take responsibility for their own safety and not just leave it in others hands. But then again thats me…

• Ava macKenzie

January 8, 2010 at 6:10 am

She actually said she wasn’t strong enough.. then did it anyways without a spotter.
    Nice.

It’s worse than hot coffee at mcdonalds.
    It’s like, she looked at the coffee, felt it, decided it was too hot, told people it was too hot, then poured it all over herself.

Exactly what I am thinking. Like seriously people need to know their own limits. Im not going to be doing some crazy spin, flip action down to a split on the first day I pole…wth!!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_scratch.gif

Page 1 of 3