StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions What’s your current nemesis?

• What’s your current nemesis?

Posted by polergirl on July 27, 2013 at 10:14 am

I thought it might be fun to have a nemesis thread….who knows, someone may have a great tip for yours, and you may have a great tip for someone else’s!

For three stinkin’ years it was superman. I could do aysha, straightedge, aerial SM, you name it…..all long before I finally nailed my superman lol. But now it’s mine. Ha! And Because of my seemingly endless superman-related pain and suffering I’m an excellent superman troubleshooter, yay! Then it was a dead lift handstand to the pole. Got that one too, after giving up on it about a million times.

So my new nemesis move seems to be batwing. No can do……yet!!! Oh, that and EG iron X. So troublesome. And, uh, meathook.

Krista Bocko replied 10 years, 9 months ago 31 Members · 43 Replies
  • 43 Replies
  • Misspolejava

July 27, 2013 at 11:18 am

I just got the batwing but I’m not sure if I know it well enough to trouble shoot. :/ I can do twisted grip deadlift, working on fonji, and some other advanced tricks – but for some reason the handspring evades me. It’s just the timing. I have no idea why lol I dread going into an advanced workshop in Vegas that starts with handsprings (cup grip) :/ I can go out and pull in again from my iron x but why not from the ground

twisted grip is no problem though.

• Beckypolegirl

July 27, 2013 at 11:50 am

Handspring and cartwheel mount 🙁

• Quirkygrl16

July 27, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I've only been poling for 2/3 months ish… but I love it!  Ironically floor work is a nemesis for me. I just never look sexy doing it !! XD I also keep getting stuck with my back hook and making it look better.

• prettypuff1

July 28, 2013 at 12:21 am

I’m dealing with shoulder mount and split grip butterfly issues. Shoulder mount hurts a lot and split grip butterfly hurts. I’m coming back from a few months break so ill get them down again soon

• calipolepixie

July 28, 2013 at 3:34 am

Caterpillar!!! Grr! Been struggling with it on & off for the last year. I put it on back burner for a couple months, then come back to it. This stint, I have been working on it about 2 months…just going to keep at it until I get it this time, even if it takes me a few months to finally get it. Russian layback/Viwa is another one that I have been battling for about 2 weeks. Janeiro has also been causing me some major turmoil this past week as well.

• Sincharella

July 28, 2013 at 5:11 am
  • Krista Bocko

July 28, 2013 at 7:36 am

Great thread!

So, polergirl…would love to hear some of your troubleshooting tips for superman! I have found with my students that they tend to get 'stuck' as they try to drop their hips.

EG iron x is my nemesis move right now too. As are deadlift handstands…but I haven't revisited that in awhile. I haven't tried batwing or meathook. How do you get into the meathook?

• Kobajo84

July 28, 2013 at 9:03 am

Mine is any move that requires stomach contact against the pole.  I had surgery in February and those moves I've been keeping away from because I had a momentary unpleasant experience with the pain associated with that area awhile back so I've been avoiding those moves like the plague.  LOL.  I haven't dealt with pain in that area other than that one time and I'm sure things have healed to where it would be fine now, but my brain can't get around the shock from that experience.  Needless to say, no meathook attempts for me.  Maybe in a couple months.

• Lee lee

July 28, 2013 at 12:11 pm

For me…the caterpillar, but I’ve figured out what I was doing wrong so now it’s just a matter of building up th strength (I think).

• onceuponapole

July 28, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I have two at this point — elbow stand and butterfly.  It took me a good 10-15 tries before I figured out the physics of both.  I'm now able to execute these moves but they still a lot of work.

• hookedonpole

July 28, 2013 at 3:47 pm
  • Tasha J

July 28, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Butterfly and Cupid for me.

I understand the mechanics of the butterfly but when I try to extend my leg back, I start to feel unbalanced and feel like I’m going to fall.

Cupid and I have NEVER gotten along since I first introduced to it…which was around August of last year.

• Vanessa Schmidt

July 28, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Floorwork and lifting into inverts. I had issues with my front hook and plank but once I figured out it was all in the way the hips and toes were placed it came a lot easier!

• sassylina

July 28, 2013 at 11:11 pm

My nemesis right now is the advanced plank. I walk my top hand as low as possible and then place my bottom hand on the pole. But I can't get a full grip until I let go of my top hand. I guess my arms are to short. When I look at the lesson, Veena has a full grip with both hands and then lets go of her top hand. But I don't have a full grip. I can only reach with part of my fingers and can't grab the pole with my whole hand.

• DanniJ

July 28, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Cupid! !

I think I understand the push and pull mechanism, just can’t do it! Moves like cartwheel, dead lift or iron x, I can’t do them yet, but every time I practice, I know I’m getting somewhere closer. I can feel the tiny progress. Just don’t feel it for Cupid! Arrrgh…

Page 1 of 3