StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions What would you have liked to hear in a pole class

• What would you have liked to hear in a pole class

Posted by NerdasaurusJess on June 3, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Hello Everyone,
    So I teach a beginner pole class I have been teaching it for a year. I need to change up my music a bit and I wanted some other peoples opinions. I personally like to dance to slow and sultry, however I know most students do not share this taste. So I have problems when it comes to picking out music. What would you have liked your first class. I have changed to mostly pop and some rap but I still don’t feel like people are connecting with it. I hate rap and thats not a style I really teach ( I don’t think it meshes well), I had a horrible experience at a local studio and all they played was rap and I do not want to be associated with there version of so called "pole dance". Any suggestions? I need about two hours worth of music because I am doing a sampler.
    Thanks!
    Jessie

Jenn PoleLush replied 14 years, 1 month ago 12 Members · 26 Replies
  • 26 Replies
  • amcut

June 3, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Nothing wrong with rap. It’s good for your booty. Booty deserves at least a small percentage of pole dance, even if it’s just waving it around. LOL

I like to warm up to Male Vocalist R&B… dance to some sexy pop.. then some sexy rock…. then maybe a sexy rap song.. then a sexy triphop song, then a sexy downtempo song.. then cool down to a less sexy downtempo song.

So, ideally… …

Mario – Music For Love
    R Kelly – Number One
    Rihanna – Rockstar 101
    Black Eyed Peas – Imma Be
    Ke$ha – Blah Blah Blah
    Finger Eleven – Paralyzer
    Buckcherry – Crazy Bitch
    Avenged Sevenfold – Scream
    David Banner – Play
    DJ Laz – Move, Shake, Drop
    Santagold – Starstruck
    Massive Attack – .. one of the ones off bite size massive
    Bitter:sweet – Dirty Laundry
    Tricky – lovecats
    Costanza – I’ve been Waiting For you
    Temposhark – Battleships

Man, that was a good playlist. *scoops* for next practice.

• chemgoddess1

June 3, 2010 at 4:26 pm

I had a huge playlist on my ipod that was just called "Pole". I had everything from Aretha to Eminem on there (I say had because I had to restore my pod about a month ago and I lost everything). What really works for me is rock and blues. Kid Rock and AC/DC….if there is a pole near by I will be on it. I am also a big "old" Prince fan but I have to be more in the mood for it. For just slinking around something like Lizz Wright-I Idolize You. I also have been wanting to dance to The Eagles-Those Shoes and Ted Nugent-Stranglehold but have not yet. I know my old instructor needed angry type music if she was trying to nail a new move and needed to get her adrenaline up.

A few good places for music are stripperweb and the S Factor forum.

• NerdasaurusJess

June 3, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Thanks amcut,
    I play about three or four rap songs. I just don’t play it the entire class. It’s just not my personal style ( I love dancing to old school rap and hip hop but not everyone shares that). I play several of the songs you suggested already. Like avenged, Kesha,massive attack, rhianna, and bitter:sweet.I’ll deff check out the other suggestions.
    Thanks again,
    Jessie

• NerdasaurusJess

June 3, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Chemgoddess,
    I was looking on my iphone and didnt even see your post. I do use a little bit of classic rock like AC/DC thunderstruck and deff leppard-pour some sugar on me. I know its a bit sterotypical but hey people crack up when they hear it.
    Thanks Pam,
    Jessie

• Charley

June 3, 2010 at 5:44 pm

I have the same struggle…I love slow, dirty and rock…

I always encourage students to bring music to class. I also try to have a wide variety of music, 70’s + 80’s rock, 80’s pop, 90’s pop, top 40 rap/hip hop/r&B (this is where I lack)

My new sexy 101 class will focus on sensual movement so I will play a lot of slower stuff like
    Usher – U got it bad
    Soundgarden – 4th of July
    Tool – Imagine
    Tea Party – Messenger
    Birthday Sex – Jerimeh

• amcut

June 3, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Charley, that’s really neat having them bring the music to class! Like. Superneat.
    I bet you get a lot of music that way and also have a good feel for your ladies!

• NerdasaurusJess

June 3, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Charlie,
    I have privates bring thier own music. It is pretty awesome you have them bring in their own. How do you deal with all the different formats, though? Also how can you make a playlist from different iPods and CDs. I’m guessing you prepare them for the next class not that days.
    Jessie

• Charley

June 3, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Hi Jessie,

You can make playlists in itunes – which is my giant task at the moment. I have very specefic playlists at the moment I am working on because I have gotten requests and have had a hard time finding the songs.

Right now my playlists are:
    70’s Rock
    80’s Rock
    90’s Rock
    Heavy Dark Music/Grunge (Tool, Prick, Tea Party, Deftones, Korn, nirvana, etc)
    Fun Pop – this an everything list…Prince, Madonna, J.Lo Def Leppard, T-Pain, ACDC, Eminem, Depeche Mode…a compliation of poppy upbeat stuff disco, 80’s, 90’s, Now all clean edits
    TOP 40/Now all hip hoppy, rap, pop, r and b, mainstream music people like…t-pain, sean kingstons, Black eye peas, lady gaga, Pink, J. Lo, Eminem, Dr. Dre, Snoop, Usher, Akon etc (most of this also exists in my FUN POP list too
    Slow and Sultry slow and sexy songs any genre

• Charley

June 3, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Also – the FUN POP is the one I use for parties or Intros or Jams because it’s safe. A little bit of something for everyone.

It’s always funny when "Stayin’ Alive" comes on…

• chemgoddess1

June 3, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Also – the FUN POP is the one I use for parties or Intros or Jams because it’s safe. A little bit of something for everyone.

It’s always funny when "Stayin’ Alive" comes on…
    I remember taking a few classes down at the S Studio in Houston and one of the songs that she had during warm up was Like A Virgin.

Jessie…also look into the itunes imixes that people have put together. There are some GREAT songs in there. I know Veruca has a few mixes in there. I have searched on pole, stripper and S Factor and greatly expanded my song selection.

• NerdasaurusJess

June 3, 2010 at 8:49 pm

I know u can make playlists on iTunes. My question was how do you have students bring in their own music? You can not garuntee every student will bring an iPod, the correct format on cd, or a compatible mp3 player. Also how can you have students bring their own music for class and form the playlist then. What do u do switch an iPod every song? That was my confusion. I have students for private parties and such send me song requests or bring thier own mix, but this is not possible for everyone of my classes

• chemgoddess1

June 3, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Depending on how many are in your class you can maybe assign a person per class to bring say 3 or 4 songs. I know that S Factor has "class" and then they have "dance". At the end of each class is time for each and every one to dance to a song of their choice. Not really sure how they have it set up player wise, whether it needs to be on a cd or mp3 player.

When I was taking classes at Be I always had my ipod with me. Sometimes we would use studio music, sometimes Mindy had a new CD and sometimes I would just play my playlist. Most of the time it was just background music and not really used for any purpose. When I taught a few classes I had some low key music that I used for warm up and cool down and then just shuffled my playlist the rest of the time. I think I had about 200 songs on my pole list.

One thing that one of the S ladies did was to send her 3 songs and then she put together a 2 cd set for all who were involved. Maybe you could give your students a sheet and ask them to give you 5 songs they think would be good for class and then you could put together a playlist from that. If you really wanted to get fancy you could burn a copy for each one of them to have afterward.

I can’t remember, are you teaching series of classes or just single classes?

• Charley

June 3, 2010 at 10:22 pm

I let people bring in CD’s or Ipods. Our classes are usually open to just about anything and most people have music on either their phone or an MP3 player and msot people carry those items with them.

I also have a sheet where students can request songs too but I haven’t put it out much lately.

For Intro classes music is much more of a background element than something used for dancing. I don’t make anyone dance until they have had a few classes first. We do some choreo dance (1 min or so) and for that we usually use a top 40 song.

• verucablue

June 4, 2010 at 2:16 am

AH YES…My Secret Santa CD’s…Maybe we should do that here – it was pretty fricking fun https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

I had each person send me the name of their song/band they wanted to include on the cd (i think most people sent 1-2) AND the word that best expressed what the song meant to them

…then I put together CD’s together for everyone who participated with all of the song choices but instead of listing bands/song titles it only had the words numbered and listed..so you basically got a secret santa type gift – GREAT FUN.

You ended up with a CD that said things like…

1) sultry
    2) bitchy
    3) Hot
    4)sleepy
    5) strong

etc…it forced or enabled you to actually pick a song to dance to that a) might actually be new to you and b)just pick something to dance to from an emotion…it was mad fun!

I did actually compile the playlist info of the song/band titles and put it up on the forum a few weeks after everyone got their cd’s and I think at some point we uploaded most of it as an Itunes list so the people who didn’t participate could grab the list as well.

• verucablue

June 4, 2010 at 2:21 am

Charlie another thing we always did in class was – and this works better for a class that has been together for a while…session type classes where people are at a level where they are dancing…but at the end of the session we would do secret santa songs for each other where we you draw names out of a hat and who ever’s name you picked you would chose a song for them to dance to…that was always kind of fun..but it helps if the group has been with each other for a while.

Page 1 of 2