StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Unsightly Stretch Marks

• Mary Ellyn

December 11, 2011 at 9:59 am

I have a lot of stretch marks. I'm prone to them. While various treatments help lessen them in some cases genetics leaves us with skin prone to stretch marks. I developed stretch marks as a teen and have easily developed more over my life during pregnancies and weight changes.

Technically, pressure from hanging on the pole, should not be able to cause stretch marks. Stretch marks are caused from sudden weight gain or loss coinciding with hormonal changes. Obesity, pregnancy and weight lifting are all conditions in which your hormone levels which affect your connective tissue. So unless you're also experiencing hormal changes at the same time you're learning to pole dance you would not develop stretch marks from the pole.

I have heard that 90% of women will deal with stretch marks at some point in their lives and while some of us have a greater tendency toward more stretch marks than others, keep in mind, almost all women have them so you aren't alone.

My concept is why be bothered by something of which you have no control over? Yes you can control rapid weight gains through proper nutrition but the stetch marks are still there after you lose the weight. So I am only bothered by the things I can control like the weight gain itself, or things like muscle tone, etc.

Work on the things you can and feel proud of them…tone up, gain muscle and get stronger, practice and learn to dance better. Believe me…as you improve yourself in any way not only will you begin to care less but others will begin to notice your accomplisments and won't think twice about your stretch marks.

One more note: I haven't looked that closely but I don't think Karol or Alethea or Jenyne have stretch marks. But do  you think anyone would be any less impressed with them if they did?

• michaelaarghh

December 11, 2011 at 8:17 pm

oh wow Polecat, i've never even heard of an okapi before!!

What a funny looking animal!! 

Like Empyrean said, pressure does not cause stretch marks, as it's a result from elasticity in your skin being lost or something. 

I'm only 19, and don't have any (that I know of) so I don't really have any advice unfortunately – but maybe try some skin firming creams or taking supplements for your skin's elasticity? That could maybe help? I don't have stretch marks, but I have all these hideous, unsightly scars on my thighs from battling depression as a (very young) teenager. I used to be quite ashamed / embarrased of them, and was reluctant to switch to pole shorts in my first few lessons. But I gathered up the courage and did it anyway, and nobody has said anything yet. 

I know it's easier said than done, but I wouldn't worry too much about stretch marks. It's soooo common with women, and if you're hanging upside down on a pole or doing awesome spins, the last thing anyone is going to pull you up for is something that is completely natural that you can't change. 

My scars on the other hand…not the result of nature and quite ugly. I wish all those 'scar erasing' creams worked! Pole has taught me to feel so much better about myself though, so I try not to focus on them when dancing. 

• Kyrsten

December 12, 2011 at 3:14 am

Most of us have them! I'm the same as you…  I have very slight ones elsewhere that you wouldn't be able to see unless you looked closely, but I have really deep ones running all up and down my right inner thigh. They're quite noticeable. I used to be really self-conscious about them in bathing suits and shorts, but I really don't mind anymore because, well, everyone has them. Age/size doesn't have much to do with it, either. I'm 21 and I don't think I know anyone who doesn't have at least a couple, regardless of weight. I've had mine since I was 13-14. Same goes for cellulite. Plus, stretch marks do fade over time and become much less noticeable.

• Forever Young

December 12, 2011 at 4:35 am

Polecat 88:  I love the picture and the fact that you can see the beauty in your stripes!https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

• Polecat88

December 12, 2011 at 10:15 am

I know for a fact that many guys find them sexy and they are seen as desireable on a woman in some cultures! I'm pretty sure that Okapi isn't worrying about why it has stripes on it's bum!

• Machiv Leahna

April 11, 2012 at 10:09 pm

My sis has had 3 babies and nature took its toll.Her husband calls it her badges of honor.Then her 6 year old son walked in while she was changing her shirt.She was horrified,Ò€¦until Ben broke it too a smile and said it was cool.He loves her stretch marks.I am 15 with strech marks on my legs,butt,and behind my knees.I am super skinny so it is because I grew 5 inches in a matter of months.My favorite exotic animal is a zebra….as soon as I tone up I will be happy.New to pole…never actually done it yet either.Just don’t hate yourself.Or the little white lines.

• Dancing Paws

April 12, 2012 at 9:12 am

I started getting stretch marks at around 10 or 11. I was still a stick, but a growth spurt caused them to form on my inner thighs. At the time I was horrified cuz they were all purple. Now I don't mind them so much.

• Dwiizie

April 12, 2012 at 10:13 am

I just turned 26. I have stretch marks on my legs, thighs, hips, stomach, upper arms, and even on my boobs. No kids. Lots of weight ups and downs. Hormonal problems, both with thyroid and PCOS issues. They are what they are. Luckily, most of mine are at least just lighter than my skin, no dark purpley ones. I do have spider veins all over my ankles though and I don't know why. I didn't notice it until very recently. I do think hooping has helped my stretch marks. No creams have though. I've been trying dry brushing for cellulite. Me thinks I should try the treadmill instead LOL!

• Kobajo84

April 12, 2012 at 10:50 am

My favorite beauty guru, Beautysavvy on YT, covered this topic.  Check out her video- Stretch Marks 101.

http://youtu.be/cRkbgkCISYQ

• michaelaarghh

April 12, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Oh Dwiizie I have horrible spider veins all over my ankles too!!

At least people know what stretch marks are and won't comment on them! I've had a few people in pole classes point out my spider veins and make remarks such as "OMG LOOK AT THAT BRUISE", "ewwww omg what is that rash?" and then when I point out their spider veins, they screw their face up and are like "omg what's that…gross". 

Yeah, thanks. Spider veins are purely genetic, and apart from being ugly don't pose any health risks or anything. I've had mine since I was about 10, but they have definitely spread a bit. 

I just be thankful they're on my ankles, not on my face!! (although my veins in my cheeks are also quite noticeable without makeup πŸ™ )

• LaPrincesa

April 13, 2012 at 1:35 am

I have the same insecurity about my stretch marks, but the lovely support at studioveena has helped me accept them as part of my beauty. It’s a process I still struggle with. A zebra can’t fade their stripes, but why would they want to? πŸ˜‰

• LaPrincesa

April 13, 2012 at 1:35 am

I have the same insecurity about my stretch marks, but the lovely support at studioveena has helped me accept them as part of my beauty. It’s a process I still struggle with. A zebra can’t fade their stripes, but why would they want to? πŸ˜‰

• RM2012

May 24, 2012 at 11:01 am

I haven't read through all of these replies… but thought I'd share πŸ™‚

I didn't get belly marks with my 3 babies, but I need injections daily to stay pregnant. Goodbye nice toned bum and welcome cellulite! And scarring. LOTS of scarring. My second baby decided to arrive at 25 weeks, via a lovely classical section (my other two were natural births thankfully). So there's another reminder for me. Then my last pregnancy made TERM πŸ˜€ Very exciting, also meant all my laparoscopy scars across my abdomen got stretched and 'lived in' along with my navel….

I used to dance for a living. I used to be toned, and a lot thinner than I am now (well, I used to have 'boy' hips, so that's actually a positive lol) Oh and I used to have boobs that didn't move when I jumped hahahaha! πŸ™‚ Pregnancy (and pumping/breastfeeding) meant a big hello to gravity! But you know what, when I look at my beautiful kids, I am so proud!! My daughter just turned 3, my son just turned 2 (we lost his fraternal twin, and he was our 25 week preemie) and my youngest boy is 8 months old. Both boys are in therapy (physio & occupational therapy for both, speech & language and sensory etc for my prem plus a whole tonne of follow up and assessments!) Going through this has really changed my view on my body. I used to be sad about my muscles being separated, and all my scars, but then I look at the fighting these boys are doing and how far we've come in the therapy and how gorgeous my little girl is with her brothers, and all I can think is that I'd have stretchmarks and scars over every inch of my body if it gave me that experience again! It's not about not caring for me, I still get insecure at times, it just really makes me realise that how I view my body is not the way my kids view me. Now I'm either too busy to worry about how I look, or those times I do think about it, I know this was for these precious babies and I know that to them, I'm Mummy who fixes things and cuddles them and I'm the only one they want when they are scared or tired or sick. These changes to my body remind me that *I* have changed, and I am grateful for that change! πŸ™‚

• Polewalker916

October 15, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I’m a 32 yo mom of two (boy 11yo & girl 17 months) I got stretch marks in my inner thighs with my son and a small one on my stomach. I got very faint ones on my tummy after my girl. Sometimes I feel weird about them especially in pole clothes but I have to remember how far I’ve come and what I have. I weigh less than I did before my girl and my boy and the most important my children are happy and healthy…to me it was worth the war wounds πŸ™‚
    Also what I have noticed from all of these pole videos i have been watching/studying on you tube and studio veena, I haven’t noticed one purple, gray, silver, red, white, or clear stretch mark on anyone!!!!! That is because, as a poler, you (and even spectators) are looking at the whole picture. The beautiful lines your body makes when u r in a move or the fluidity of your body as you do a move (that may expose your imperfections). It’s the whole picture that I see.
    It’s just like when u see a beautiful perfect woman or man and then they talk or act a certain way and your outlook is changed!! Suddenly they could be the ugliest person you have seen. It’s all on the inside!!! In pole I could start off seeing a overly heavy person with cellulite and stretch marks (if I inspected closely for imperfections) and then they dance whether they are good or bad, and I can see no imperfections at all. Beauty from the inside can come out and cover all that someone is afraid of, u just have to b open enough to share your raw emotions whether by talking, actions, dance, or other.
    The courage and fearlessness it takes to expose your body, your ability, and your emotions will hide any imperfection you have on your body any day!!!!!
    Xoxo

• monica kay

October 15, 2012 at 1:10 pm

^^^^that is so true ^^^^

i am HORRIFIED when i catch a glimpse of what my inner thighs are squishing and buckling and folding into when I do a pole sit.  it's like a horror movie.

but but but! no one else sees that… they just see the whole picture.  (unless they are looking for that, and the only reason they are looking is because they experience the same thing on their thighs too lol)

Page 2 of 3