StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Splits – How long did it take you?

• ORGANIC ANGEL

March 5, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Oh, and if some weeks you only get to 1 or 2x, don't worry, just pick it up the following week.

• heathalynne

March 5, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Actively trying from April to October 2011. Got full splits on both sides within 6 months. Deep postures and deep stretching with Isaac Pena’s yoga classes 1x weekly, then Emil Valentino’s flexy workshop helped me get fully to the ground. I also do other vinyasa yoga classes 2x weekly but they didn’t open my hips up like Isaac and Emil.

Center split, I’m still the highest in the class. My friend said some bodies can never do some things and she’s convinced I have scar tissue that’s preventing me.

• beaniegoesnuts

March 5, 2012 at 3:21 pm

no probs hazi- i was so happy when i figured it out i wanted to tell everyone!

• Dottie Von Boone

March 12, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I have always had "splits", specifically on my right side, or so I thought.

I recently received my copy of Felix's Flexibility DVD, and I found out I have been doing splits wrong for years. I have always allowed the hip of my back leg to rotate towards the ceiling, yeah no! Once I rotated it towards the floor, and pushed it into the floor, it was a completely different feeling and look! 

I am 2 inches from being on the ground on my right side, I think with an amazing warm-up, I can sit all the way down. Now my left side, I have about 6 inches, and for the middle or straddle split, I have about a foot to go.

I am taking my time, but that hip being in the right position really mattered.

• AvaBabe

March 13, 2012 at 5:27 am

I just got aletheas DVDs in the mail yesterday and watched them last night (I like to think of it as exercising in my mind lol) I am really excited to try them and see what happens, I have lost so much flexy this round of baby baking and I wasn’t all that in the first place!

• heathalynne

March 13, 2012 at 3:53 pm

@https://www.studioveena.com/users/view/4f4c1281-a030-45e8-ac0f-5c0a0ac37250 – Yes!!! Squared splits during practice are a must. That's the best way to train so all your standing splits and splits on the pole are easily flattened. I've seen many pole stars that have the flattest jade, but when they're doing squared splits on the ground, they're also a couple inches off. It's a different feeling. Pressure on top of your hip vs pressure on groin.

• CreativityBySteffie

March 13, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Im curently working on the splits aswell. But I do have a question for those who can do a split or almost. Wich is easier to learn, the middle og side split?

• Elektra Vallens

March 13, 2012 at 4:50 pm

@CreativitybySteffie – Usually they say that the side/front splits are easier to learn than the middle splits, but I think it must differ from body to body, since I'm having a much more difficult (read: painful) time getting my side/front splits than my middles.

• heathalynne

March 13, 2012 at 5:03 pm

https://www.studioveena.com/users/view/4d7295fc-e184-48a5-841e-6aac0ac37250 – Front/side splits for me as I'm flat and can finally twist and grab my knee. Middle/center/straddle, forget it. 1 foot away, not kidding.

• Dottie Von Boone

March 13, 2012 at 6:56 pm

@healthalynne – HA! Thanks so much for breaking that down. I want to be as flat as possible – regardless of what I am doing. I am excited! 

It is slowly coming along, my hamstrings are so stubborn .. sigh

• CreativityBySteffie

March 14, 2012 at 3:43 am

Thank you ladies so much! 🙂 I've been working on the side split for a little while, and I am feeling the progress each time I do it, but was thinking maybe I had picked the hard one. (not that it is easy either way) 

• CreativityBySteffie

March 14, 2012 at 3:45 am

Maybe I should try the middle split routine, next time I work out. It would be funny, if I was much closer to get that one down.. 🙂

• DedeJoy

March 14, 2012 at 7:45 am

I've been stretching 2-4 days a week for more than a year and a half and I'm still a good 4" off the floor in my front split. I am nowhere near the floor with my side split. I think my issue must be hip flexors.

I have a theory that it just takes longer as you get older and so I've given myself permission to not be as bendy as the 20-somethings in my class who can get their splits in 6 months. Anyone in this thread over 35 or 40 and find it's taking/has taken you longer than the younger polers?

• Vertical Joes

March 14, 2012 at 8:46 am

Emil Valentino is the most amazing stretch coach.  I have had totally unflexible students that can now split, put their feet behind their head everything.  I do think that you're over stretching and that leads to slow progression.  Check out http://www.valentinobrothers.com or look up Emil Valentino on facebook and try a live class asap

• Dwiizie

March 14, 2012 at 11:33 am

@ DedeJoy I just turned 26. I've been stretching regularly since december of 2009, and actual flexibility training (both splits, back, side, arms, all of it, but first focused on splits) for 1 year and 5 months. I actually looked back on a forum post I made on another site when I started the flexibility journey. I'm still about 8 inches off my center splits. I'm about an inch off on squared front splits, easier right leg forward, and if really warm and really stretched I can get the full split on both sides, but its like one day out of a month. I'm pretty sure hip flexors are the issue with front splits, so I've been paying extra attention to stretching those. For the center split, I'm not sure. Before I went to a chiro, I used to have horrible pain in my right hip when stretching. Now I don't. I've been mainly working on sitting on the ground and straight backedly leaning forward, while trying to creep my  heels just a little further back each day.

Before I started stretching, I could barely touch my toes, and my center split was the top of a plie lol. I was never a flexible or athletic child, was never interested in it. I remember trying to do center splits in 2nd grade and a cheerleader friend of mind jumped on my back to try and make it happen. I was about a foot off the ground at that point lol. I started out, when trying to touch my toes to the back of my head, about 2 feet off the mark. Back flexibility is my biggest problem. As of last night, I'm about a foot off. So I KNOW I'm improving and getting better. I thought I could NEVER EVER do a split, and I have. Its taking for freakin' ever, but I'm getting there. I, personally, don't stretch into pain. I do allow discomfort, as is natural, but pain for stretching? Nooooo, not for me. So thats the story of a mid 20's learning flexibility who was not at all bendy/athletic/whatever as a child or teen 🙂

Page 3 of 6