StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions In home 1 on 1 pole lessons

• In home 1 on 1 pole lessons

Posted by MadisonsWorld on January 9, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Would you ever take in home one on one pole lessons? I am a SAHM and would like to make some extra spending money(i dont want a job outside the  house) and do someyhing I enjoy doing. So i have been thinking for sometime about giving pole lessons in my home..(while kids and hubby are at work for comfort of peron) I have extensive dance backgound(ballet,latin,cheer) and have been pole dancing on and off for 14 years..starting off as a stripper and the last 10 yrs dancing for pure enjoyment…I do have tuning up to do as far as advanced tricks, I have floorwork,chairwork,basics and beginner tricks down I have been offered several areobics instructor positions and a pole instructor position with the requirement learning advanced moves ,but volunteer at my kids school also, so i prefer to make my own schedule. I have had a few stripper parties(doing just basic no off the floor moves. yes i do now own an x-pole )..and have been asked to teach a few people…i have a room just for pole and crash mats..so i guess my main question is knowing this and if you saw the instructors experience in person, is it something you would do? of course the woman will be beginners, most if any never having contact with a pole.. this is not something i would be starting tomorrow, but maybe next school yr(sept 2013) giving me time to brush up on things..looking for feedback..thanks in advance

verucablue replied 11 years, 4 months ago 9 Members · 36 Replies
  • 36 Replies
  • PoleFitMom

January 9, 2013 at 5:27 pm

I teach out of my home to people that I know, but I don't advertise to strangers. When I have someone inquire about lessons I always have a meeting with them outside of my home (in a public place like starbucks) to screen what there interests are. I am very wary when it comes down to who I will give my home info to.

Hope that helps answer some  :o)  xoxo

• Dancing Paws

January 9, 2013 at 5:34 pm

At first I though about it, but in the end it is a bad idea. There is the obvious factor of creepers. A not so obvious reason is that in doing so you link the business and your home, so if you get sued, you can lose EVERYTHING. If you own a studio and get sued, you only risk losing your studio, not your home.

• Dancing Paws

January 9, 2013 at 5:34 pm

I suggest you look into finding a studio that will let you rent space.

• CapFeb

January 9, 2013 at 5:36 pm

I know people who give lessons in other peoples home via star stages or x-stages. They seem pretty popular in silicon valley. 

• MadisonsWorld

January 9, 2013 at 5:39 pm

This would just be for in my community..I live in a large community made up of several subdivisions…so just local women and off referrals…and yes,I would meet them in a public setting before my house…it would be a very discreet thing if I do it..

• MadisonsWorld

January 9, 2013 at 5:43 pm

@cabfeb..I thought Abt that..I think maybe I would start off home first..I feel safer doing it here ..if there was a demand for parties,then I would have to rethink things..of course parties with only women in attendance..

• MadisonsWorld

January 9, 2013 at 5:46 pm

@gypsy, there would def be some type of waiver signed..

• Dancing Paws

January 9, 2013 at 5:52 pm

honestly, waivers don't hold up in court. I've been told this by everyone i've asked. They are more of a formality than a real binding contract. Another thing to know is that some insurance companies wont insure you unless you have some sort of certification.

• MadisonsWorld

January 9, 2013 at 5:59 pm

How does that work in a studio that has instructors that are not certified? Because there are plenty out there..

• MadisonsWorld

January 9, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Not to mention, I don’t even know anywhere close to where I live to take instructor classes..and there are a few certifications..so which is what? Is one better than the other?

• Dancing Paws

January 9, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Studio insurances usually cover the instructors if they are employed. If you rent sapce, you need your own insurance. Really all you need is a group fitness cert or personal trainer cert. AFAA, ACE, ASCM, etc. I am geoing for ACE since some of the pole cert count as continuing education credits, but I heard ASCM is the best one out there.

• Pole gal

January 9, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Verticals pole fitness do online instructor training. x

• Pole gal

January 9, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Verticals pole fitness do online instructor training. x

• Charley

January 9, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I don't recommend in general doing this.  If someone gets hurt – and I mean sprained an ankle badly taking their shoes off – you can lose your house and everything in it.  I hate to be a downer about this sort of thing because I know it happens, it's up to each individual to decide how much risk they are willing to take and with whom.

You could buy instructor insurance but that does nothing to protect your home, waivers show the insurance company that the student knew what they were getting into but it doesn't waive responsibility when it is easier for an insurance company to settle.

I think you have an awesome resume and might consider finding a space that you can rent out part time and teach out of there to keep everything safe and legit.  It sounds like you have a lot to offer – I hope you find a safe place to offer it!  ðŸ™‚

• chemgoddess1

January 9, 2013 at 6:33 pm

MadisonsWorld, there has been a lot of discussion about this over the years and even just instructing.  Empyrean is probably the utmost expert I know when it comes to these matters.  If it has anything to do with the business aspect of pole she is your resource.

On a side note, there really is no money in being an instructor.  Ask any of the ladies here who do.

Page 1 of 3