StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions How much space do you need for a pole at home?

• How much space do you need for a pole at home?

Posted by nolaelle on January 23, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Howdy!

I'm almost done with level 2 and soon will be progressing onto 3 (YAY!). I'm still hooked and definitely noticing I am getting stronger (double YAY!).

Question, it's high time I get my own pole… how much space have y'all found you need for your pole?? my apartment is very long and skinny but I want to figure this out. Additionally I'm going to go back and comb through the forums on the best removable pole.

I'd prefer measurements in feet but I'll take any advice y'all got!

btw: I'm 5'8", so is that going to affect how much space I'll need?

Quirkygrl16 replied 10 years, 9 months ago 10 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Danielle Tillie

January 23, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Preferably you’d want about 6 feet of space in all directions from your pole. I practiced with only 4 feet of space on all sides, which is doable, but a little cramped at times. I am only 5’3″. If your space is cramped, you can modify your practice by only doing tricks and spins that will fit into your space and saving ones with more extension for the studio. Also, I recommend X-pole as the best removable pole available (in my opinion!). Have fun pole shopping and grats on your improved strength! 🙂

• RoseMay

January 23, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I heard somewhere that you should be able to stand in the middle and turn around with straight arms without hitting something. But you also need to take the joist structure into account – you probably won't be able to set the pole up just where you want it to be https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

I got a cupboard next to my pole – it's 3 feet away. To the other sides I have more room. I can do most things … but if I straighten my legs in certain moves I kick the cupboard https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif (I'm 5'9'') On static mode it's okay I just do things in the direction that I know I won't kick it – but on spinning mode it's a problem. I only extend the poses at certain times during the rotation, or I pull the leg in when passing the cupboard.

My next obstacle is a window, that's 4.5 feet away and I very rarely kick it. Certain inverted moves I can't extend in that direction though.

So you can work around certain obstacles. And if you also go to a studio you have the opportunity to dance without these restrictions anyway … so it's not that bad. And to work on strength a small room is definately enough 🙂

My biggest problem with having a small pole room is the floor work. I just don't have enough room and kick all the time into furniture (especially with my 6.5" heels on https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_eek.gif )

• Dancing Paws

January 23, 2012 at 4:40 pm

I have 4 feet in one direction, and that is sorta cramped for me (I'm 5'2.) You should aim to get as much as you can. Just think that you should be able to do reverse grabs, CAR's, planks, butterfy's, etc, comfortably. It will be asier for you to judge where to put you pole once you find the studs, put it up try a spin and see if it works or not.

I personally recommend the platinum stages 1 piece removable pole and the lilmynx poles. I have never had a problem with either. Unfotunately, I had a lot of problems with my X pole. But this is just my opinion. You will get a lot of different opinions. On the matter. Your best bet is to research the poles, research the company, research the pole finishes, and see what best suits your needs. Everyone has different pole needs. I am short and need extra grip with my pole, so I needed a smalled diameter sticky pole (so a 45mm brass was my choice; I could have also gotten a 45mm powder coated.) Some girls like slicker poles and have bigger hands, so they will need a different pole than me. Some girls can't use certain metals because they have metal allergies. It helps to know what is IN the metals of the poles. A lot of these poles are not just one metal. For example, brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, but I was recently told by platinum stages that there is iron in there as well. X pole told me that there is nickle in both the chrome and titanium plating.

• o0sair0o

January 23, 2012 at 9:12 pm

My pole is in a small cramped home gym. I have to pull a rower out and fold up a treadmill everytime I use it and I definitely can’t extend fully in any direction. BUT I can still practice whenever I want and dint find much i outright can’t do. What I’m trying to say is that whatever space you have you can most likely use and while it may not be ideal it’s way better than no pole!

• heathalynne

January 23, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I agree 5-6' all around is prime. Unfortunately for me, it's 4-4.5' on 3 sides of wall. Can't fly but can practice a lot of other moves. I just noticed we all have the 4' problem. LOL!

We recently bought a house and I turned the sun room into a pole room! 😀 It's 8.25' x 15.5' with a bay window, hardwood floors, and wall cutout. Lots of space for floorwork and yoga. Also planning to mount the wall mirror and add crown molding to match the room and window sconces. So so so happy with it.

• spicygirl

January 24, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Hey Guys! As I too am seriously considering buying an X-pole Xpert (have done one year of pole training) I am just concerned about the floor as I am paying rent for the apartment I live in and I wouldn't want to cause any damage. It is a wooden floor (like thin planks).

Are there any surfaces where a pole is best not to be used? Would it be better if I set it up on the carpet? 

Also, if any of you have an X-pole Xpert, is it easy to assemble and disassemble? How long does it take you once you know what you're doing?

Thank you all!

• nolaelle

January 24, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Oh yes I neglected to say my apartment is a rental with hardwood flooring as well. Anyone have any experience with that?

• o0sair0o

January 24, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I have the brass xpole xpert set up on floating wooden foorboards. Not quite the same as hardwood floors but close I'd say and I have had no issues.  There has been no damage to anything.

The xpole is easy to put together.  The only hard part I found was finding the beam in the ceiling and then getting it perfectly straight.  But I had someone help me and I generally leave it up in the one spot unless I want to take it somewhere else.  When it's in it's usual spot I rarely even have to tighten it which I find awesome. 

• Dancing Paws

January 24, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Wood should be okay, but DO NOT USE AN X POLE ON VINYL! I put my x pert in my dining room of my apartment and it left an intendented ring on my floor! My PS pole isn't making a mark, and I think it's because the pressure is more spread out on the bottom of that pole than the x pert. 

• spicygirl

January 25, 2012 at 12:16 am

Thank you so much for the replies. I am even more motivated now. It sucks to want to pole and you have to rely on when the studio is open for open-pole training. When a girl gets addicted to pole, that's it! We want it EVERY moment in our room.

• Dancing Paws

January 25, 2012 at 8:50 am

Spicy – 

I used to have that problem. Living at my parents, we didn't have space for a pole, so I could only practice twice a week at the studio. Now I live in OR and the enarest studio is 2.5 hours away, so I HAVE to have a pole at home. No studio dancing for me until I move to a new town with a studio closer. 🙁

• Quirkygrl16

August 21, 2013 at 10:01 pm

I know this is super old, but a great post! I’m 5,1″ so hopefully my space I have is okay. About 5″ on 2 sides, 4″ on the other 2

• Runemist34

August 21, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Quirkygrl16, I'm not sure that 5 inches on two sides and 4 inches on the other two sides is going to be enough to dance in

• Quirkygrl16

August 21, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I meant feet

• Sarah Brace

August 22, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I used to have an X Pole up in my bedroom when I lived at home & to say it was a squeeze was a major understatement! I had about two feet of room on one side, a bed on the other & a wardrobe four feet away by the corner. I remember having to really be careful where I began a spin or trick otherwise BOOOONNNNGG!! I'd smack the radiator with my feet. Also worth mentioning is that this setup let me down a bit in class as I wasn't used to the feeling of allowing my weight to move away from the pole & get good momentum, I was always hugging into the pole. I now have a dedicated pole & fitness room with a freestanding pole right in the middle, I'm so grateful of the space I have to do things like reverse grab & floorwork.https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

Page 1 of 2