StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions How Long Did It Take You to Invert?

• muroo

August 17, 2012 at 12:51 am

haha yeah it's crazy how different we can be! 

focus on what you can do and not on what you can't yet. =P who says you have to invert? maybe you can work on yogini or the skater poses or other upright moves and have those be your trademark. 🙂 

• Krista Bocko

August 17, 2012 at 6:44 am

why are you so focused on inversions? what are your motivations for poling, what draws you to it? is everyone that you see doing inversions ready for them and doing them safely and well? are you putting equal time and energy into upright spins, holds, floor moves, transitions? are you trying to develop as a dancer or just trick out? what are the 'great tricks' you want to achieve?

those are just some things for you to think about personally–everyone has different pole goals, and know that the vast majority of women are NOT inverting at 2 months in. your journey is your own.

my own satisfaction comes from being an all around dancer, being grounded in the earth first, building on that foundation and developing my students to do the same. that is where the magic happens, IMO.  

• Katrea

August 17, 2012 at 6:54 am

I was able to invert after only 2-3 months of pole, but it’s because I’m also a Kickboxer and do Jujitsu so I already had the the strength from other activities, I just needed the technique. And will that strength I still spent a few classes just practicing tucks in the correct position before going into the invert.
    Take your time, build your strength and one day you will surprise yourself and be able to do it.

• chemgoddess1

August 17, 2012 at 7:30 am

I am also in the inverted too early and hurt my shoulder/back group.  I have been poling for 4+ years now and I STILL have issues with my shoulder.  It will never be the same.  Trust me, you do not want to be in your 40's and wake up to pain every morning or even worse, have the pain wake you in the middle of the night.  Take your time and learn the proper technique.

BTW, you can get into a crucifix and many other moves by doing a reverse handstand.  If your instructor has not shown you how to do it, look it up here or on the web.  When I was teaching I got girls into this move first and then into an inverted crucifix/bat hang before they ever inverted.  To me this is your escape move and you should have this before ever inverting.  But that is me.  Everyone teaches differently. 

• HyperHorsegirl

August 17, 2012 at 10:55 am

My studio won't let students invert until they've been poling for 4 months. They just won't teach it until then. I learned it, but I wasn't ready. This particular instructor taught us to kick into it. Big no no! Other instructors at the studio would have told me to wait. I could DO it, but only with kicking and with poor form. Needless to say, I ended up straining my intercostal muscles. I had torn them in college and to feel that pain again was something I had hoped would never happen. The intercostal muscles are the vertical ones between your ribs that expand when you breathe. The pain was horrible and affected that whole side of my body. Even lifting my left arm (which would stretch my ribs) was hard, and I certainly couldn't put any weight on it for a spin. So, then I became lopsided. Even though I stopped working on inverts to do it right, I was forced to do everything on the right arm! I am still struggling with strength. Worst of all, I used to be fairly balanced in my spins, right and left. Now, I struggle with spins to the left after having to wait for those muscles to heal.

It's really not worth it to invert too early. I'm waiting until it's right. I'll do one every now and then, but only one and I do my best not to kick (even though I still do), and it's not an exception I often make. The injuries from inverting too early have held me back even more and even stunted my progression. Don't give up and keep working toward it (safely), but don't let yourself compromise your health for this accomplishment. It's not worth it!

• PersianXcursian

August 17, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I inverted during my third class but the only reason I could was because I threw myself into it which is not safe. It is only within the last couple months that I can smoothly lift myself into it. Take your time so that you don't injure yourself

• Dwiizie

August 17, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Been poling for over a year. No inverts. Nothing close. Still can't do many beginner moves. Learning online isn't working out well for me at all. I hope once I do my studio classes, I can benefit more from Veena. I'm a discouraged poler. I can climb, sit, and on a good day, do a crucifix. Couple of spins, fan kicks, tucks. No inverts. No funny grips. I am furiously frustrated.

• Veena

Administrator
    August 17, 2012 at 3:16 pm

D, Luxx, all the moves you listed are great moves to know. There are people that pole for over a year without being ready to invert. Your not alone there! Are you taking the lessons here, and for how long? It's hard when you feel like your alone but I'd be happy to help you out if you like. Send me an email and we can take a closer look at what maybe hindering your progress. Hopefully you can also find a good quality studio soon too! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• Paunobs

August 17, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I could invert after a few months but did I do it correctly NO !! Consequence was bruised ribs, at 17 months I could say wow I can now invert correctly and with control, so do not be discouraged just keep doing those knee pull ups and Veenas strength lessons!

• x falcon 3 0 x

August 18, 2012 at 12:39 am

When I first started inverting, I think I just about tore every muscle in my back trying cuz I was so hell-bent on doing it.  I started on my left side and when that hurt so much, I switched to my right.  Now, it's my dominant side : /  That was a lessoned learned for me.  Now, I exercise more patience.  You will build up the strength before you know it and next thing you know you'll be in the air.  Just don't quit…you WILL get it : )

• calipolepixie

August 18, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Time, time, time & patience my friend. You’ll get it but wait until your body is strong enough & ready. Safety first. Just keep up the pull ups, tuck holds & follow veenas strength & conditioning & youll be ready soon. Happy poling!

• Dancing Paws

August 18, 2012 at 9:38 pm

I think doing side climbs and side climb related moves (like side V, hobbit, shooting star, etc.) helped me build strength to invert. Also doing reverse handstands, inverted crucifix, and inverted thigh hold for leg strength to prepare you for once you are IN an invert.

• IttyBitty

August 18, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Glitterqueen if it makes you feel better I’ve been poling for almost 2 years and my inverts still suck…..lol I’ll keep at it until I can finally get it right 🙂

• Irmingard

August 19, 2012 at 11:24 am

It took me a year to invert. Yes a year! I was on and off poling and during that time I built a strong foundation before I flipped upside down. Don't feel discouraged about those who can invert. You don't know their background or how long they have been dancing. Try working on perfecting your spins and climbs, this will build your strength. Also try crunches on the pole to work towards your goal of inverting. Never kick or jump into an invert because this could cause you to injure yourself. Ideally you want to lift up from a standing position only using your core and leg muscles as you tilt your upper body back. Part of the fun in the process is watching growth and development. Try tracking your progress. You will see how much stronger you get every week if you keep at it. Good luck!

• Trixie Kicks

August 19, 2012 at 9:47 pm

http://aerialamy.com/blog/2012/01/03/tuesday-tips-upper-body-pole-conditioning/

Use Amy’s tuck n tips!!! It helped me tons. Don’t get discouraged if it takes a while to tip. I did these for a few weeks and, ta-da, inverts with no momentum needed. I was able to aerial invert too!

Page 2 of 4