StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Getting rid of the Brass Pole smell

• Getting rid of the Brass Pole smell

Posted by TatianaSD on March 5, 2015 at 7:49 am

Hi ladies….I haven’t been here in a while due to medical reasons…..but I’m back and happy to be poling again!! Finally we purchased a house and I have my own pole room….I put 2 pole a 45 chrome and a brand new 45 brass, both x-poles……as much as I love my brass pole because of the grip I get…..I really hate the smell it leaves on my hands and body….I have to take a shower and lather 3-4 time with my hubby’s body wash to get rid of the brass smell…and there has been times where I’ve had to soak my hands for 10 minutes in water with vinegar and baking soda….I was told that my pole is new and eventually the more I use it the brass smell with go away, I really need to know if this is true or is there anything I can clean the pole with to lower the brassy smell?

Thanks!!

chemgoddess1 replied 9 years, 2 months ago 6 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • chemgoddess1

March 5, 2015 at 12:27 pm

I have been on poles that were old and that smell never goes away. Sorry. I hate it too!

• chemgoddess1

March 5, 2015 at 12:31 pm

Btw, the smell is from your naturally acidic body reacting with the metals that make up brass. Lots of horn players have the same issue. You may want to search some music forums.

• Phoenix Hunter

March 5, 2015 at 1:36 pm

yeah, the smell doesnt go away. it washes off in the shower for me so I’m not bothered by it. that’s strange that it lasts that long for you. not sure what to do about that

• Veena

Administrator
    March 5, 2015 at 4:06 pm

Ugh, I hate the smell sol and yeah, it doesn’t go away. I can smell it even after a shower, but not all day. 😊

• chemgoddess1

March 5, 2015 at 4:57 pm

So in the back of my mind I was thinking about this. I wonder if the remedy for skunk on dogs would work. It is basically a mixture of dawn, peroxide and baking soda. You could probably forgo the dawn but the peroxide and baking soda should neutralize the odor (or at least it makes sense in my mind).

• Veena

Administrator
    March 5, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Do you think vinegar and baking soda would work?

• chemgoddess1

March 5, 2015 at 7:28 pm

I am not sure how the fizzing of the two reacting would feel and I want to say it may strip more oils from your hands than you might want.

• Veena

Administrator
    March 5, 2015 at 9:55 pm

Ah, true. I clean with it when plain ol vinegar isn’t enough and it does try out my hands.

• PolarGirl

March 6, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Maybe I’m weird because I’m usually super sensitive to smells (especially before or during a migraine) and I don’t notice a smell at all. Both my home pole and the poles at my studio are brass. I notice the smell of the Brasso lingering for a couple of days when I’ve just cleaning it – but that’s it.

• Idreamincolour

March 7, 2015 at 8:58 pm

Chemgoddess mentioned the acidity issue. Could you maybe research ways to reduce acidity in the body to minimize the reaction with the pole?

• chemgoddess1

March 8, 2015 at 11:47 am

Skin + sweat has a natural ph of 4-5, but it is this way to ward off bacteria and fungus from growing. I am unaware of ways to raise the ph of your skin. I do know there are barrier lotions that help block irritants to your skin and I want to say some people have used them when they have metal allergies. That may be something to look into. I think one is called yard glove.