StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Finally.. The answer to sweaty hands

• Tine007

February 23, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Sounds interesting, will for sure try the vinegar 🙂

Chrome and vinegar is fine, BUT….

only the very thin  top layer of an X-pole is chrome, the body is steel. I think it should be fine on the outside of the pole, but I'd be worried to get it in the joints. There it won't dry off quickly and it might meet the steel and that can rust…. So maybe stay away an inch or two from the joints to prevent them from rusting together.

Just my chemist's 2 cents… https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_ugeek.gif

• Jenn

February 23, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Question for ya, chemist…. Does vinegar react adversely with brass? I’d like to try it, but not if it will hurt my pole.

• Tine007

February 23, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Hi Jenn,

acid (like vinegar, lemon juice) in combination with salt are widely used  to polish brass and remove tarnish 🙂

As long as it's solid brass it's fine but if it's brass plated steel (does a magnet stick? if n o it's plain brass) I wouldn't use it since it can promote corrosion (aka rusting) of the steel core much faster.

Here's a nice overview about different methods to polish brass  – but they didn't have poles in mind, anything paste-like you'd need to rinse off… 😉

http://www.mrscleanusa.com/en/cleaning-tips/tip/brass-cleaning.html

• Jenn

February 23, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Did the magnet test and it doesn’t stick so it must be all brass. Thanks for your help! 🙂

• ShellyBelly

February 23, 2011 at 11:04 pm

IT WORKED!!!! Thank you!!!!! 🙂

• Trena

February 24, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Oooooh cant wait to try this!!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

Thanks Tine for the tips on keeping away from the joints!!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

• Jenn

February 24, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I tried but the smell made me wanna gag, just can't stomach it!

• lalalauren

February 24, 2011 at 8:01 pm

So no vinegar on the TG xpole? That sucks….I would have loved to try it!

• chemgoddess1

February 24, 2011 at 8:52 pm

OK…the chemist has to chime in.  Distilled vinegar is anywhere from 4-8% acetic acid, most commonly 5%.  According to a materials site:

"Titanium is resistant to acetic acid over a wide range of concentrations and temperatures well beyond the boiling point."

The issue that you will have with the TG is how the color is achieved.  It is actually an oxidative state of titanium that has been electrically induced…think rust on your car or white dust on aluminum siding.  There are quite a few people who have had issues with the gold color wearing off and it is most likely due to natural acids in your skin.  While vinegar will not "attack" the titanium, it may very well cause the gold color to wear sooner.

Oh, typical human skin pH is about 4.5,  vinegar is around 2.5.  Vinegar is typically made from the fermentation of sugars.  This is probably the reason that many swear by using vodka to clean their poles…similar process just different concentration of air.  

I wonder if diluting vodka to the same concentration would yield the same results without the acid issue?  I know you can pick up Burnett's for about $9 (and probably the cheap stuff at the grocery store for less).  80 proof is 40%, so about 2 shots in 2 cups would give you close to the same strength.  That would equal about 75 cents per 2 cups of solution.

Ok…geek off.

• ShellyBelly

February 24, 2011 at 9:02 pm

ChemGoddess, WHAT?!? Lol.

You’re adorable! 🙂

• Runemist34

February 24, 2011 at 9:06 pm
  • EVamp83

February 25, 2011 at 2:44 am
  • lalalauren

February 25, 2011 at 9:49 am
  • nymphdancer

February 25, 2011 at 3:10 pm

lol so its fine for my pole to have vodka prior to dancing but not myself???? That just ain't right!

• MrsNaughtywed

February 25, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I am a victom of sweaty hands too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot wait to try this out!!!!  

🙂

Page 3 of 8