StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Economic crisis – would you pole dance for a living?

• Economic crisis – would you pole dance for a living?

Posted by ShonaLancs on September 14, 2012 at 7:05 am

So the other day my mum, nan (who
    Bought me my pole), extended family who were visiting I were discussing over dinner my poling, when my mum chipped in ‘but it’s not like you do it for money’ to which I replied ‘ I would, if it was my only option and I could get the hang of the sexy stuff’. My mum was a little suprised, not negatively, just that she had never associated my pole hobby with earning money.
    I also would never have considered it an option before now.
    So, I pose the question, for those of us who dance for ourselves not for a living. Would you??

MsChocoateLEO replied 11 years, 8 months ago 27 Members · 42 Replies
  • 42 Replies
  • chemgoddess1

September 14, 2012 at 7:19 am

I wouldn't just because I do not have the "hustle" that is needed to actually earn money. 

• Lyme Lyte

September 14, 2012 at 8:03 am

Oh, i so would if i was about 20 years younger and didnt have the start off the saggy ass thing going on. I wouldnt do full nude, only topless.

• Leanne Love

September 14, 2012 at 9:45 am

As much fun as I know I would have doing it, I wouldn’t do it because I know a lot of the men would just piss me off for being cheap, nasty pigs, or both.

• luvlee

September 14, 2012 at 10:17 am

No. Absolutely not.

• chemgoddess1

September 14, 2012 at 10:49 am

Annieloo….yeah, there is that totally bitch factor that I would have to learn to curb too!

• Leanne Love

September 14, 2012 at 10:52 am

Now, if I could do something like what Jenyne does (she’s in Cirque du Soleil now!) I would in a heartbeat!!!
    But yeah, I don’t think I really want to be a part of the club industry.

• Divine Gotcha Hooked

September 14, 2012 at 11:21 am

I would do it wrinkles and sagging. I have babies that depend on me and I can’t call their daddies for help.

If it was just me, by myself. I probably wouldn’t because I think I would be ok.

• Mitzy Blue

September 14, 2012 at 11:21 am

Yes- without a doubt. I have several friend who pole dance for a living and personally it's a great way of earning income.(and it's fun. Most clubs don't even require the pole dancers to strip- just dance. Even then- the body is nothing to be ashamed of so I wouldn’t mind undressing. PLUS- for poling we wear so little anyhow, now there is just an audience!)   Add in the factor that right now I work an awful job at just above minimum wage in retail- I get treated worse than most pole dancers and people don't even realize that they are doing it. At least with pole dancing people are actively being jerks in most cases and it's not just the "you are the stupid robot behind the counter and you mean little more than gum on my shoe if you can't please me I'm going to make YOUR life hell for no particular reason other than I want to throw a tantrum."
    I would switch to pole dancing for money ANY day of the year. Whether it was strip club, circus, or performing at fairs or something- I would. I also know though that if one chooses to work poling at a strip club you need to look for a club that has very strict rules (ie, no touching the girls, ect.) and strict enforcers/bouncers. There are sleazy clubs, yes- BUT there are also some very clean and nice to work at clubs.  No I couldn't cut it at Vegas where you have to have more hustle but not all places are like that.
    So all in all- yes. I might have less respect from people who don't know how much skill it takes but in all honesty I would be happier.

Anyhow- that's my two cents.

• Wiley

September 14, 2012 at 12:41 pm

It depends.  I don't have a problem being naked and showing it off, as I have worked in the adult industry before, but I probably wouldn't be able to keep up with the husle and potential cattiness.  If I was guaranteed a set amount of money and if people actually enjoyed it, I would do it.

• MadisonsWorld

September 14, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Ok. Yes I would and I have..as far as the jerks, yes there jerks, but not all..and once you do it for awhile,you start to get regulars or goobers as we would refer to the really good ones that spoiled us..lol..I actually met my hubby at the club I worked at and he never hit on me or was in any way an ass..and actuLly I had to hit on him .anywho, you also don’t have to dance like u are in competition…I did very few tricks and was more of the sensual kind of dancer(love dancing to Depeche Mode and that type of music).everyone has their own talents and style. If everyone danced like Felix or Jeanine or any other pro,u wouldn’t be unique…and not all guys get into that..I danced at one of the strictest clubs at the time, even when a new club opened and the girls were raking in some major bucks…I was a mean girl towards new girls that didn’t follow the rules just because I wasn’t going to go to jail for not following rules(when I danced many yrs ago,clubs were getting busted esp the new one for illegal activity,but mine never did)..dancing in a club is not for everyone..it is a hard job mentally and physically..I turned into my alter ego when I worked,Madison(hence the screen name)..but I don’t see anything wrong with dancing in a club as long as you don’t get caught up in the dark side of it..

• LillyBilly

September 15, 2012 at 1:24 am

Yeah, sure, I would do it for the experience regardless of my economic situation if I didn't think it will have consequences on my other careers.

• PippiParnasse

September 15, 2012 at 10:43 am

I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with dancing for money, whether you use a pole or not, whether you use clothing or not.

I also think there is a difference between being an entertainer and being a squeeze toy.

I am not in the adult industry (I have a very low bullshit tolerance and also a tendency to hit people who get in my personal space), but from what I've seen there are few clubs that actually enforce no-touching rules. And at least in NY the ones that are (theoretically) cleaner and stricter don't allow pole work anyway.

If someone is fine with letting their performance be, uh, interactive… whether it's their boots or their boobs that are getting manual attention, that is fine! I just don't think that's dancing. So if want you want is to DANCE, you should do some research first. 🙂

• poledanceromance

September 15, 2012 at 10:57 am

I would love love love to break into the performance pole sector for some extra cash. As for club dancing, I have no problems with it and have long thought about trying to pick up shifts at a topless club. But I also have serious bitch factor sometimes and I would probably suck at hustling…I let the boys come to me until they’re close enough to ensnare completely 😉

• Desiree Lust

September 15, 2012 at 11:57 am

Well, here's the thing.  I work at a club as an entertainer and it's not what you thing.  You would think strippers make a ton of money but really, they don't.  It's like gambling-you never know what you're gonna get.  It's all about getting lucky and finding that one guy who is gonna spend on you.  So if you have the gift of gab and can hustle like that, sure. You'll make money.  But you also have to take into consideration that 1. you are competing with 40 other girls.  2. Alot of guys don't buy dances, they just come for the drinks and the show.  And you make peanuts on stage. So in reality, yes, the pole dancing is entertaining, but you wont make a dollar on the pole.  You make your money crawling along the edge of the stage putting your boobs in someone's face or doing private lap dances.  With that being said, I would keep your dayjob and the pole dancing as a hobby.  I've had good nights where i've made $600 and i've had bad nights where i've gone home with $20 after paying house. I've worked in 3 different clubs and house fee averaged about $40 at each considering tipout for the DJ, door guys, etc.  Yes, thats right, you have to pay to work.  Hope this helps 🙂

• calipolepixie

September 15, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I LOVE strip clubs…visiting and hanging out at them that is. I just like the atmosphere. At one time, a loooooonnnngggg time ago, I considered becoming an exotic dancer. But then I became close friends with several strippers and found out the truth–it is NOT easy–the cattiness is insane, it is often emotionally and physically draining, it is not glamorous and 90% of the time you don't make any "real" $$$ on a consistent basis–the amount of hustle you have to do is ridiculous to make any decent $$$, then you have to pay the house rent to work there and tip out to the the dj, etc, which leads you with diddly at the end of all that hard work. I definitely have alot of respect for girls who do strip for a living because I know what a hard job it is. Some people are cut out for it and others aren't and that's perfectly ok. I am definitely NOT cut out for it. I got laid off almost 6 months ago and not once has the thought of becoming an exotic dancer entered my mind. I am perfectly happy poling for fitness only.

Page 1 of 3