StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Current competitions. Is anybody getting it right?

• Saphyre

August 31, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Right on, Charley!

• upandover

September 3, 2012 at 12:25 am

To go along with this thread I recently receved the PFA newsletter, and they included this little blurb in regards to comp judging. 

PFA Develops Olympic Standard Judging Criteria

The PFA sanctioned the IPSF World Pole Sport Championship in London this summer.  PFA and IPSF developed a complete judging criteria for competitions.  All PFA sanctioned events are welcome to utilize it, and have as a finished result, a very fair, effective, simple judging format to be used in any competition.  This format follows the example of judging criteria used when judging Gymnastics, or Figure skating. Aspiring to match a more Olympic standard, this effort will support efforts to get Pole Fitness in the Olympics, and prepare our industry for that day.  This method is really beautiful, and we will be offering it to all PFA events to use, utilize, and perfect further while fusing with their own information and methods.

If nothing else it looks like a few of the bigger pole communities are trying to get on the ball and develop a standardized criteria.  it's a step in the right direction if nothing else. 

• Webmaster

Administrator
    September 3, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I would love to see the PFA and IPSF publish this judging criteria as all other sports organizations do.  

I actually think that transparency is one of our sport's biggest problems.  People talk loud, but they want you to get on board before they'll share anything with you.  

I would actually love to see someone issue regulations as an RFC(Request For Comment).  This is how standards in most industries and sports are handled.  Specifications and requirements are posted publicly with a time frame for commentary and suggestions.  The benefit of this is that, as the document sponsor, you don't have to accept any of the commentary but you at least have the option and are giving the community you are supporting the ability to weigh in.

So I guess my question is does this:

"This method is really beautiful, and we will be offering it to all PFA events to use,"

mean that this criteria and methodology is sequestered until you decide to become a PFA event and get on board? Or are we able to examine said criteria and decide based on its merits whether we want to be PFA organizations, studios and dancers?  In my mind there is only one right answer.

• AngelVonSpin

September 20, 2012 at 10:44 pm

One thing I would like to see happening in comps is adding a "masters" division.  As we all know pole is something that can be done by all ages and those of us who love pole will want to keep on dancing, performing, competing no matter what age we are.  Masters must be an inevitable addition to the completition schedule – imagine what a 50 year old Felix, Zoraya, Marlo, Onna etc. could do for promoting the sport to older women in persuit of fun, fitness and self empowerment through the realisationn that there is no "use by date" for this sport or the women who participate.

• Charley

September 20, 2012 at 10:50 pm

MissyMia – The Midwest Pole Dance Competition and Pacific Pole Championships already have a Masters for over 40.  ðŸ™‚  It's happening and it's splendid!

• AngelVonSpin

September 20, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Charley- that is fantastic, so happy, Australia still has to catch up though x

Page 3 of 3