StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Conflicted on Which Pole!

• Conflicted on Which Pole!

Posted by MommaBear on April 13, 2010 at 12:05 am

I have been watching the youtube videos for a few months now and dying to give this a go. Visited a bar with poles (which I think were actually flag poles lol) just to get a feel for it. Loved it, even though the grip was so horrible. Three days later and my arms, shoulders, pecs and abs are still hurting! I can tell this will be something I will love and an incredible workout too.

I was dead set on the X-Pole, but now I’m not certain. Here are the factors I need to consider:

1. Only room available for a pole is the living room (with hardwood floors).
    2. Therefore, I need something that can be taken down easily on a daily basis.
    3. Just as well, I need something that *I* can put up easily. I stress the *I* factor as my hubby won’t be home, he will be at work when I plan on practicing (while the kids are at school). This alone is making me feel that the X-Pole would not be an option for me, as they require two people for stable installation (or is that only the first time?).
    4. I feel that leaves me with the other option – Lil Mynx. However, I saw a video on youtube where this poor woman said the top part that goes into the ceiling had come loose and she was hurt. She was no amateur either – she was total pro, so for that to happen to her scares me!

So, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Especially for those who put up and take down on a daily basis.

Can’t wait to join the ranks of you girls – just amazing stuff!

Thanks in advance.

nymphdancer replied 12 years, 7 months ago 15 Members · 25 Replies
  • 25 Replies
  • megs982

April 13, 2010 at 12:46 am

My honest advice, get the xpert..it "said" have two ppl..but hubby was sleeping when i got mine and i put it up by myself with no problems and its SUPER stable.. Im short as well (5’2) so its not like i was tall to help myself there lol. It is easy to take up and down..with what you are describing you need, i definetly would go with the xpert.. Hope i helped https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• MommaBear

April 13, 2010 at 1:25 am

I’m still not sure I understand – do you just need a helper for the main installation or every time you put in up?

I really love the expert too. I like the option for stationary or spinny mode – seems like it gives you more variation if you get bored or frustrated with something, you have a whole other realm of options. Besides that, it seems to be the most recommended.

Hmmm? Decisions, decisions.

• Journey

April 13, 2010 at 1:39 am

It’s one of those things where X-Pole has to tell you to do it with 2 people because they are liable, but you could get away with doing it by yourself. The first time or two I definitely would have someone help you so that you get a feel for what you’re doing. Also, if you have super high ceilings, it wouldn’t be a good idea to do it by yourself at all. The real reason you need two people is mainly because you need someone to hold the base still while the pole is being stood up, but if your ceilings aren’t that high, if you had carpet, or had a way to brace the base so it wouldn’t move, you’d be fine.

If you want, there is a YouTube vid that someone (whose username I can’t spell…) did a tutorial on how to put up the X-Pert. You can search for it, just make sure it’s an X-Pert and not an original X-Pole. Then you can see how it’s done. (this person had super high ceilings, though).

I have one of the original X-Poles where they also said you needed two people – I’ve done it by myself every time.

And about the Lil Mynx coming down: this isn’t to scare you, but any pole can come down – even permanent ones. It’s important to make sure it’s installed correctly AND that you check it before you use it to make sure it’s stable. X-Pole, Lil Mynx, and Platinum Stages all make safe poles (unlike Peek-a-boo *shudder*) – so if they come down, it’s user error.

• MommaBear

April 13, 2010 at 1:53 am

I don’t have high ceilings, just your standard 8 ft.

Am I understanding correctly that the Lil Mynx requires bolting into the studs (with a handy plant hook for when you want to be incognito) and the X Pole is tension mount on the stud point?

and also

regardless of the mount, they are both equally superior in stability?

Also, if the X Pole is just tension mount, has anyone had any problems with weak or broken ceilings? Our house is from the 50’s and I know the drywall is thinner than your standard drywall – I’m starting to wonder if the ceiling would pose an issue in holding the strength in tension?

Excuse my thinking out loud, just trying to make certain I pick the right pole : )

• Journey

April 13, 2010 at 2:21 am

You are correct about the mounts. And you shouldn’t have any issues as long as you put the X-Pole over a joist, I wouldn’t think… I live in a mobile home, and everything about it is cheaply made – including the ceiling panels, which I have no idea if they are drywall or what they are – and I haven’t had any problems. X-Pole also provides instructions on how to make a plywood circle plate to put between the dome and the ceiling to help distribute the pressure and provide more stability – don’t know if that’s something that would help you or not.

I may be biased, but I don’t think that you could really go "wrong" with an X-Pole – I think I’ve heard of one person who doesn’t like them (yes, literally one person). Any pole will need a stable ceiling, so I’d say go with your gut, get the pole you want, then reinforce the ceiling if you’re worried. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_tongue.gif

I found those videos, by the way:
    Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOatler1HyU
    Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqERKwBHpkM

You’ll notice that the second person makes a very short appearance in Part 2… lol.

• CheeryBomb

April 13, 2010 at 5:54 am

I have just recently received my 50mm X-pole X-pert and I love it. I searched for a while before making my decision as well. I have put it up by myself and taken it down by myself. My hubby helped me the first time but, honestly, I could have done it by myself from the beginning (I’m blessed to be pretty handy without my hubby’s help). Once you get the hang of it (it’s a really simple process), you will be fine doing it on your own. The process seems more difficult than it really is. Just read all of the instructions first to make sure you are assembling the pole correctly. Personally, I liked the X-pert over the others because it can be static or spinning, doesn’t require drilling into the floor or ceiling (non permanent), and it is bottom loading (the height adjuster is at the bottom making it easier to install). Good luck and happy pole shopping! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_sunny.gif

• chemgoddess1

April 13, 2010 at 1:21 pm

ANY pole can come down on you if you do not inspect it prior to using it. I have had my lil mynx up for over 2 years without issue, but mine is directly into the wood, not through drywall and then into the stud. I know people have had issues with the drywall breaking away over time thus causing both ceiling damage and an unstable pole but if you are taking it down every day you would be able to inspect that rather easily.

If I had a choice to do it all over again I would probably go with X-Pole just because I like the portability and flexibility of the height of the pole.

• kklove

April 13, 2010 at 1:35 pm

My friend/teacher Skittles who is also a member of SVeena too told me that she helped a client put up the Kendra Pole which is just like the XSport. She said it was easy and took way less time so you may want to think about getting that one for now, and that keeps you from having to bolt anything into your ceilings https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_rabbit.gif goodluck on your search chica

• Mary Ellyn

April 14, 2010 at 11:54 am

First, you may think I am biased because I sell Xpoles. Well the reason I sell XPoles is because that IS my pole of choice. I can sell ANY pole I want…believe me, all the companies would love to get ANY of us to sell their poles. They don’t have to approve us, all you have to do is call and sign up as a business and you can sell them. So I could sell any other pole or all of them…but I choose to sell XPole.

After 4 years of seting up the original XP I found the XPert confusing when I put the first one up…as I was setting up my studio I had 5 more to assemble and after the first, they each took me about 5 minutes.

I have several students who have already purchased the XPert and installed them without help from anyone. Last weekend we set up our poles on 11.5 foot ceilings at an event. I was able to raise and tighten the pole myself without difficulty, though I am now very familiar with set up. (I set up & take down 4 poles, 3 nights a week)

I have heard of people with the Lil Mynx who have had the screw mount come loose after time even after being screwed into the stud. However there are two main differences in the LM.

1. It’s partially spring loaded which means it can slip at the base more easily. I’ve seen them slide when a 170 moderately experienced person did a handstand. In fact if you use it on a hardwood floor they recommend using a non-slip pad underneath…XP does not require this.

2. Because it’s spring loaded, the top few inches of the pole is a telescoping mechanism which you untwist to make the pole taller for a snug fit to squeeze it in after you hook into the ceiling bracket…this telescoping section is not usable. So that means that depending on your ceiling height you have a few inches at the top which you cannot grip.

• polergirl

April 14, 2010 at 12:30 pm

I am able to put up/take down my x-pole without any trouble at all. I love it. A friend has a Lil Mynx and she likes hers…but she loves mine. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

• verucablue

April 14, 2010 at 5:30 pm

I had an X Pole…I have a multi piece PS pole and I have a Lil Mynx pole. Honestly for ease of use I always go to my Lil Mynx – for me putting up the X pole and the PS was always a pain in the butt…maybe I just didn’t do it enough to really get it down also the X Pole would stick from time to time. If I had a room where I could keep the pole up I would probably just use my PS or an X Pole but honestly I like all 3 https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• Lyme Lyte

December 19, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Just took both my poles down for a new floor.  I took down the LM in less than 15 sec.  The X, my hubby had to get a chair, scredriver, and wrench.  It took him close to 3 min to do that…….I could never take down the X by myself.

• nymphdancer

December 19, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I put up and take down my x pole by myself and it takes less the 5 minutes to take it down, disasseble and pack it away. I don't have the top loader though so no chair required.

My minx was horrible to take down and I doubt it will ever go back up.

• Lyme Lyte

December 19, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Wow really? Well glad mine stay up permenently…… 🙂

• Mary Ellyn

December 19, 2011 at 11:27 pm

The XPert is completey different to set up and take down. It literally takes me no more than 30 seconds to take one down. I take down four poles in less than 5 minutes after class every night!

Page 1 of 2