StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Butterfly Balm

• Butterfly Balm

Posted by moonflower on February 20, 2010 at 4:41 am

Does anyone know where I can order this butterfly balm I keep hearing about? I would like to do a pole dance to show a few co-workers and some family members that pole can be athletic and non sexual if you make it so and I want to help ease the idea into their brains by wearing long pants rather than shorts. I want this video to focus mainly on fitness and tricks. I gave it a try and the only impressive things I can do with pants on are handspring and butterflies and it’s scary without leg grip. There’s a video of Karol dancing with jeans on with this balm and I think it will really help. I did a google search and didn’t find anything.

moonflower replied 14 years, 5 months ago 11 Members · 19 Replies
  • 19 Replies
  • Fleur

February 20, 2010 at 5:09 am

Butterfly Balm is not on the market yet and I have no idea when it will be. The video of Karol dancing in jeans was with gorilla grip I believe but you should check with her.

Fleur

• Mary Ellyn

February 20, 2010 at 5:41 am

I was told that Butterfly balm is Cramers Firm Grip paste. I saw another instructor with it and it looks exactly the same. This stuff is VERY difficult to get off of your skin and will likely prevent you from doing any spins afterwards.

• MilienElayne

February 20, 2010 at 6:08 am

Where’s this Karol jeans dance?

What are you wearing? Do you still have arm, lower leg, knee pit and shoulder exposure? Hmm. So what moves don’t need the thigh and tummy regions? Could do flag, shouldermount…then shouldermount split… if you can get into a butterfly you could also maybe get into a with-hand gemini and could do a reverse aysha from that? Getting down might be hard. Um, can do cartwheel kicks, reverse grab spins, drop splits… In theory there’s lots of holds and spins that just use hands and positioning… but entrance and exit might be tricky…. hmmm. Let us know how you go!

This should be a challenge suggestion!

There’s a vid of TaraKarina doing a dance in jeans around a washing line that might be a good reference. Also browse http://triagedesign.co.uk/wikipole/index.php5?title=Pole_Move_Directory for pics of people doing moves fully clothed for more ideas?

• Fleur

February 20, 2010 at 8:00 am

Empyrean is right, no spins if you use this stuff, you will quite literally be glued to the pole. Only works if your pole is on spin mode or you aren’t planning on doing spins. Here is the video of karol dancing in her jeans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er_S3yPBXn4

• MilienElayne

February 20, 2010 at 8:48 am

thanks, fleur! i can’t believe some of the moves she can do in jeans with that stuff! not sure i’d want it on my skin though, from the looks of her face…lol

• Mary Ellyn

February 20, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I always refer to this stuff as superglue! Fawnia first introduced me to the spray version…but that one dries up on your skin after while and almost worsens your grip. Sort of like hairspray…wet and sticky at fist but when it dries it leaves a dull coating that is difficult to come off.

The paste actually comes off easier but not completely and only with certain products. It won’t wash off with soap…you can get most of it off with strong grade rubbing alcohol. You can also counter-act it with talc powder to a degree.

I’ve had students want to try it in class and I tell them it has to be at the end of class as they wont’ be able to do anything else after and that it pretty much has to wear off so their thighs may be sticking together (or to their clothes) on the way home! LOL

Super tip here for slippery poles:

However, it does come off the poles pretty easily….and it’s a great trick if you have a slippery pole!!! Just a TINY TINY bit applied in little taps down the pole…rub it in with an alcohol cloth and get any excessive amounts off. You can still spin if you apply it correctly too.

I highly recommend experimenting with it as too much is going to ruin your practice/dance. ALso you have to figure out how to apply it correctly without actually getting it on your skin – so using a cloth to just dab it on.

Remember…as with all grip aids….everyone’s body chemistry is different and different products affect others in different ways. EXPERIMENT before you rely on something for an important event or before you use it in class.

• FreeTheSun

February 20, 2010 at 5:23 pm

So a few of our instructors bought little tubs of it from Jenyne when she was here in the fall (saddly I didn’t get to buy one cause I was sick and couldn’t go) but they both like them but like everyone is saying you can’t really spin after using it. One instructor used a bit too much and ended up have quite the time trying to come down from the pole cause it was gripping and pulling at her skin and clothes like no other.
    The other instructor uses about the same size little blop at the tip of a quilting pin (maybe a tad smaller) and then she gets her grip but doesn’t get stuck and can still sorta spin but not really. It really is best with a spinning pole or just a bunch of holds and tricks and not spins.
    But like Empy said, test any grip aid out and experiment before deciding to rely on it.

• moonflower

February 21, 2010 at 5:15 am

Thanks for all the replies. I’m not much of a spinner anyway ( https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_puke_r.gif ) so that I don’t mind. But now I"m worried about getting that stuff off my clothes!
    I’m not sure what I plan to wear though, still working on it.

MilienElayne, you are right this should be a challenge! Then maybe I"ll actually get around to doing it. I’ve been saying I"ll do a covered up, athletic video since forever. But since there is no deadline,I tend to procrastinate, a lot.

Empyrean, I"ll look up Cramers Firm Grip. I don’t think I’ll be applying it on my body, especially with everything I read here! If I can get my hands on it, I’ll see how it works on the pole.

• moonflower

February 23, 2010 at 1:38 am

One more question. I can’t find any resin based grip aid at sportchek and the gentleman asked if I meant "pine tar". They haven’t heard of cramer’s firm grip.

• Mary Ellyn

February 23, 2010 at 1:53 am

The only place I’ve seen it sold is online. I looked at the tube and there are no ingredients listed but it says it’s made from natural wood rosin.

I think what’s nicer about the "paste" than the "spray" version is because it’s in an ointment base so it doesn’t dry out like the aerosol does.

• MilienElayne

February 23, 2010 at 10:17 am

Tree sap contains resins. Pine tar based grip could work. I was wondering what the difference between resin and rosin is… Rosin is solidified resin, which is what we use in pole class (crushed up to a powder), what some gymnasts use and what I used to rub on the bottom of my ballet shoes when I was a kid. I so need to find a supplier so I can have some for home.

I managed a gemini and a reverse aysha at the park the other day (as well as butterfly and extended butterfly and failed my aysha attempt…aw), but I bared my hip to get grip, not sure if your modest costume allows for that? Also did a CKR on a street pole in jeans… would need a super grippy pole like with butterfly balm, or you could go chinese pole style and cover your pole in rubber matting, you’d have SUPER grip…lol.

• chemgoddess1

February 23, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Just an added note….bowlers use rosin bags and baseball players use powdered rosin and some sprays on their bats. You can usually find them really cheap in either the bowling section or in the baseball section of any sporting goods store. I have tried the bags and they are not bad but you WILL grip…almost to a fault.

• chemgoddess1

February 23, 2010 at 1:37 pm

One more question. I can’t find any resin based grip aid at sportchek and the gentleman asked if I meant "pine tar". They haven’t heard of cramer’s firm grip.
    BTW…pine tar is more of a tacky material to start out….it really is a tar. There are rags that are coated with it and they will stick to just about EVERYTHING they come in contact with. Rosin is more like a talc and becomes tacky with the heat of your hands. It is a lot cleaner and easier to remove than pine tar.

• asterl24

February 23, 2010 at 5:36 pm

@ moonflower i just bought mine here: http://www.brandsplace.com/0177-cp061038.html its a bit pricey its also sold at walmart for cheaper but i live to far from walmart anyways hope it helps i let everyone know how it goes when i use it, its a 1lb jar so it should last a long long time lol hopefully https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_lol.gif

• RoxyPink

February 23, 2010 at 6:08 pm

I was told that Butterfly balm is Cramers Firm Grip paste. I saw another instructor with it and it looks exactly the same. This stuff is VERY difficult to get off of your skin and will likely prevent you from doing any spins afterwards.

I agree with the no spins…however, firm grip comes off easily with rubbing alcohol! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

Page 1 of 2