StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Ballerina Advice, please!

• Ballerina Advice, please!

Posted by donnalee on April 30, 2012 at 11:15 am

Starting to work on ballerina. Sometimes I have seen it called, "Twisted Ballerina," and other names as well. I think people here will know what I mean. I "luff" this move. And right now, it's killing me. This is reminding me of the Superman pain I went through.  Is Ballerina….or Twisted Ballerina (I like that name better) the same sort of move….where it just seems so darn hard and eventually your muscles cooperate? I belive this will be the case. I have pulled up videos here on SV on ballerina and those help. Anyone else want to share tips or stories on how they progressed through this move? I can kick up a leg and move my body around the pole and hook up on the pole….and then extend back leg a bit. No way….can I reach with my arm and touch this back leg yet. But when I climb the pole and lean forward and try to reach up for the pole and attempt ballerina this way……..NO!!!!!! My arm has a very difficult time finding the pole behind me and if or when it does….this kills my inner arm muscles. Maybe just a learning curve process I must go through…. or maybe I am doing something just not right? I read here where someone find that doing ballerina on a spinning pole helps. Is that true for anyone else? 

Veena replied 12 years ago 12 Members · 32 Replies
  • 32 Replies
  • amy

April 30, 2012 at 12:10 pm
  • Lyme Lyte

April 30, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Thanks Amy, just started working on this yesterday…..we will see!  🙂

• Veena

Administrator
    April 30, 2012 at 12:35 pm

There are 3 ballerina's….The Ballerina, the Twisted Ballerina and a Ballerina spin. I'll be uploading these lessons very soon, possibly this week. Please be careful with your shoulders. I'll have a Flexibility readiness test in the lessons for everyone. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

Ballerina (keep in mind this one is advanced because the leg is pull so far up) https://www.studioveena.com/galleries/view/4f883620-04d0-4c6d-82be-250c0ac37250

Twisted Ballerina https://www.studioveena.com/galleries/view/4f883532-08cc-44e8-8873-285c0ac37250

• Lyme Lyte

April 30, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Thanks Veena, cant wait to see them! 🙂

• donnalee

April 30, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Fantastic! Will watch the videos, practice, take notes….dream about ballerina moves : )

Thanks for the notice!

• donnalee

April 30, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Amy,

Thanks for posting the link to vid. Just watched it. The video hits on something I am running into: Stickage on the pole after I climb and lean over. Yes! Will practice your tips on how to get away from this stickage situation : )

• SamH

April 30, 2012 at 1:10 pm

OK so I just tried this move the other day and at first was like… WTF? How do I grab the pole with that arm???  So the trick that I learned was to climb up, grab the pole with the arm that gets hooked and then tuck my head and upper body underneath that arm to lean forward and not let go of the pole with that arm so that when Im leaned forward I dont have to try to find the pole with my arm because I'm already holding onto it. Did that make sense? So climb up and keep holding onto the pole with the arm that hooks… I could try to post the video of me learning it if you want me to. Let me know 🙂

• donnalee

April 30, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Yes, I do understand Sam H. Will try this. If you feel up to posting a vid….will watch too….but I understand, and thanks : ) I am a bit obessessed with this move. I was the same way with Superman. It  was very, very hard for several months and now I can do it. Working to accomplish the same with Ballerina moves.

• Lyme Lyte

April 30, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Yeah Sam H., a video would be fun to see!

• FuzzyNavel

April 30, 2012 at 3:03 pm

@donalee–I understand your "stickage" issue. I honestly don't think I am comfortably flexible enough to get the twisted ballerina…I could maybe eventually manage the "flying ballerina" (like the twisted, but you don't have to grab your foot). To get around the "stickage issue" doing the twisted version I unwisely decided to wear my boots and let the vinyl do the work…well I got sort of stuck on the pole and couldn't properly "untwist" myself…it was scary and panicy and I haven't tried since! It hurt. 🙁

• donnalee

April 30, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Congrats on flying ballerina, Fuzzy Navel. I like how  that looks too and I think from an audience perspective….the flying ballerina is even more dramatic. It is definitely a drama move no matter how it's performed. Right now, I am in the beginning awkward stages where I fumble around the pole. Might take a few months for me. Looking forward to when Veena posts the lessons. I will definitely watch those over and over and practice. 

• PoleMoves

April 30, 2012 at 11:42 pm

I have the ballerina, it’s one of my favourite moves. But I never seem to know quite how to come out of it and transition into a next move. Anyone have something they love and want to share? Or ideas??? Thanks!

• emotioncatcher

May 1, 2012 at 5:35 am

I think I´ll have to get the lessons when the lesson on the ballerina is up 😀 I want this move much
    @PoleMoves: I like to do an aerial invert after this or a flag invert as the body is already in front of the pole. Or I grab the pole like you hold it when you do a reverse grab spin and slide down to the floor

• XxMyztikxX

May 1, 2012 at 7:20 am

I saw someone wanted an idea on how to get out of it…I have the flying ballerina i think thats what its called. Not sure..i ususally get out of this move by crossing my legs together an just sitting(standing) on the pole.

The first video im doing it on spin, i just cross my legs then get off it and the second video im on static an i get off it into a split. sorry if thats not any help! Since im not really doing much to get out of it. Nothing impressive hehe! hope u find better ways to get out of it! lol. im sure theres alot!

On this video its at  2:33. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3JmojkUurc&list=UUrpEikjbwEdLAiKZEjGw_LQ&index=7&feature=plcp

On this video its at 3:05 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDtg1cWWO4c&list=UUrpEikjbwEdLAiKZEjGw_LQ&index=6&feature=plcp

• donnalee

May 1, 2012 at 12:50 pm

WxMystikxX- Watch the links! Saw how you got out of it inthe Halloween costume one. Cute! Thanks for posting. I practiced this move today again. (Flying ballernia).  It's killing me but I plan to just work through it : )

Page 1 of 3