StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Anyone not like platform/clear heels for yourself?

• luvlee

August 27, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Yeah. That is another thing. I get sore feet from dancing on the carpet. The shoes help protect from all that. I do put packing tape on my shoes so I can wear them on the carpet.

• Trixie Kicks

August 27, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I started liking heels more when I learned floor work (slides) that required them. I use them sometimes, but other times I like to dance barefoot or in leg warmers 🙂

• nilla

August 29, 2012 at 5:46 am

This thread makes me want to try dancing in heels again!  I think I've tried it like 3 times in my living room but it didn't work out, probably because I was on carpet that caught the heel a lot.  I do think a pole walk and pirouette look amazing in any kind of heel, but floorwork and anything off the ground (climbs, inversions, ect) looks better/sexier in bare feet to me.

I actually don't like the look of the iconic stripper heel most of the time.  There have been videos where, due to the skill of the dancer it looked good to me, but the super tall platforms often look like hooves to me (especially if the dancer is flexing their feet at all), and the plastic clear ones look less like hooves, but the plastic aspect turns me off.  I loved the red shoes Jenyne wore in her routine for the World Pole Champ 2010 Zurich competition.  I thought those were really beautiful and sexy.  I'd love to try dancing in something like that.  I can understand how most dressy heels that I like probably wouldn't be as functional though.  It seems like the stripper heels are really made to hold up wear-and-tear wise, and the plastic straps probably help with grip.

I have heard some say that they like pole dancing in heels because then they don't have to worry about pointing their feet because the heel does it for them, which is so not true.  I see so many flexed feet in heels, and I think a heel actually makes any flex in the foot more noticeable and awkward.  Everybody has to start somewhere though and I'm sure I'll have issues with flexed feet in heels when I try it!

• SpyralBound

August 30, 2012 at 8:23 am

For me, it's about balance. I just can't balance myself well in tall heels, especially stiletto heels. I put them on and instantly become an awkward baby giraffe. Just standing and walking is difficult, never mind dancing, and especially never mind any moves where I put all the weight on one foot, like a slow pirouette or a shoulder slide. Or bending down. Or squatting. All of this is 100x harder in heels, for me, so I almost never dance in them. 

But I don't have a lot of practice in heels (just normal heels) anyway. They're a strictly special-occasion shoe for me. My feet, ankles and calves are not used to them and will start to ache very soon after putting them on. Even if I'm just sitting, my feet seem to hate being constricted into that Barbie-foot position. 

I am way more comfortable and secure dancing barefoot, and better at dealing with carpet burn than at moving in heels. Honestly I barely notice the sensation of the carpet while I'm dancing, but I do have eczema on the soles of both feet and if the skin is cracked from that, walking on carpet is like stepping on razor blades. 

• JhennD

August 31, 2012 at 12:34 am

Agreed completely with JeHanne. Our studio’s instructor said in our 101classes, like any sport atheletes need their own gear to make them perform better, It would be better to start practicing in heels than be awesome barefoot, THEN try dancing, inverting, walking, sliding down splits ; all while pointed toes (cos pointed toes flexes glutes =yummy) and feel like you’re starting all over, since it is a different game.
    In casual ‘real life’ I SUCK at heels even wedges. I like to blame everything from height, weak knees, my love for my teeth, huge feet, for my lack of heel skills. So I was nervous about my first dance shoes, I got Pleasers, Dolly (I call them my training heels) and they worked great, they broke and in good timing, I truly wanted the 7″ sexy platforms. From scared wobbly, to 5″ Dolly, 7″ Adore. I love black due to it can match whatever I exercise in. But I like the silly colourful ones of Mottiff (?) I want glitter or rhinestone crusted heels but fear chipping, like the black platforms – UGLY; or scratching pole or popping off and sticking on/in my skin (actually have pits on my feet, legs, knees from rhinestones popping off from others shoes.
    So I have grown to love my platforms, but unless I’m dancing and stripping at home I don’t call them stripper shoes. I think because dancer shoes have grip and pretty much are not declined, which regular stillettos are (steep decline) I can sexy strut in my platforms. I like all colours but clear seem to last longer because they don’t appeared chipped.
    Sexy ankle weights, yup; another sexy accessory/gear (like those needed booty shorts) oh yea; something to play with or add as a personal touch-style, you betcha! Climbing guard and assistant to invert poses and grabs, sticks on hot sweaty sessions, thank goodness.
    Now my next adventure are strapless heels. And keeping pointed toes down when I split slide down.
    Barefoot, only when learning invert moves. I have (hopefully not) perm scars on top of feet from climbing -holding mistakes.
    What’s the buzz about platform boots, haven’t been able to ‘master’ confidence in them. Sexy walk- I need to walk a tad bow-legged so they don’t stick, and spins when grip aid on the pole get them messy. Any notes??

• JhennD

August 31, 2012 at 12:41 am

Hooves haha kinda cute reference if you’re long legged and clumsy. Me sometimes.
    Pankake- our studio has a fitness class that we do squats and exercise, piyo moves while wearing our heels. Gets some time to get used to. But dancing and transitions WAY easier since taking that class. We practice muscle flexing, flexibilty and getting to know your body position & reaction to a pose so being more fluid in the dancing classes.

• JeHanne

August 31, 2012 at 10:15 am

Hooves… I love that look! JhennD, sounds like I'd get along great with your studio instructor!

There are some dancers that decide to never wear heels or prefer the more organic/natural look of a bare foot, they are just as awsome as us heel lovin dancers. 🙂

I call them 'platform heels' since to me that is what I see them as. Heels take a lot of practice, I've even fallen a few times and will likely fall again. I don't feel there is anything natural about balancing on any platform and then shifting your center of gravity and everything else while dancing. 

I guess I'm just a glutten for punishment. 😉

• SpyralBound

August 31, 2012 at 10:58 am

I'm sure I could get better at moving & dancing in heels, it's just not someting I'm interested in trying or working towards, to be honest. I'm not upset or disappointed that I can't dance in heels – y'all can keep 'em. I'm not really a girly-girl and never have been, and to me personally, platform heels sort of represent the kind of femininity that doesn't ring true to who I am. In fact I'd say the fashion aspect of pole dance is more or less lost on me. I can appreciate a good outfit or pair of shoes on someone else but don't feel compelled to get all dolled up myself. Maybe it's just because I'm not really a performer in any sense – I have no interest in competitions and have only performed publicly once, and while I'd love to do it again, I'm not rushing out to find opportunities. So as long as pole remains something I do just for me at home or with friends, why bother with what's on my feet? 

(This all applies just to me personally – no judgment intended.) 

• JeHanne

August 31, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I hear ya Pankake. We are all amazing pole lovers and dancers no matter what is on our feet. It is what is inside our heart and souls that make us shine when we take the stage. Regardless of that stage being our personal home pole space or a theatre. 

• PixiLouBell

August 31, 2012 at 12:22 pm

i LOVE the look of my pink pleasers but i def prefer to pole barefoot 🙂

• nymphdancer

August 31, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I prefer heels. Always. I own 1 pair of flats other then my barn boots and one pair of tennis shoes and about 80 ish pairs of heels with over 3/4 of them being 4 inches or higher. I start my beginners barefoot and won't force them to wear heels but I personally love them.

• senrysa

August 31, 2012 at 11:12 pm

funn thing…after I shattered my hip I thought if I do get back on the pole I'll never be able to wear my heels again..it took months before I would put anything on but flats or bare feet plus I'm one of the unlucky ones whose plate and pins surgery made one leg a little shorter https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif  so after many months we went out to dinner and I got dressed up…and thought I'm gonna try some heels…well I looked pretty funny with heels and a cane but lo and behold that night I realized with the heels on I could walk without the cane…how bizarre is that!  I'm still a little scared of them because I worry I'll stumble and I am completely paranoid about falling https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_eek.gif   I was however happy happy that my heels are not something I have to just look at because since I started poling I have sooooooooo many pairs… https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif  I haven't ried to pole in my heels again yet since I'm just now able to get back on it but I am hopeful.

• Krista Bocko

February 8, 2013 at 5:29 am

bumping this thread up! Not only is it a great one, but I'm wanting to get either 7 or (gasp) 8" shoes (not really, but would love to try some!). I'm used to 6's…how big of a difference is it going from 6" to 7"? Do you have a size preference? (lol, this sounds so naughty)

• Lyme Lyte

February 8, 2013 at 9:44 am

My preference is ZERO inches!

• Dancing Paws

February 8, 2013 at 9:49 am

I have mostly 6″ but I like my 7″ more

Page 2 of 4