StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Allegra move

• moonflower

January 30, 2010 at 6:29 am

I’ve been trying this and it leaves a bruise right at the lowest/floating ribs. I start off with the pole at the fleshy indentation between my ribs and hip but I’m very short (4’10") so there it’s a tight fit so when I reach around with my hand, the area compresses and the pole hits the bottom rib from the bottom up…does that make sense? I can hold the move but it not secure, it hurts and it doesn’t look good. I feel like if I the area between my ribs and hip bones were just, oh I don’t know, maybe 1" longer, I will be able to wrap my torso around the pole without it pressing against my ribs or hips.

I used to go to a studio that had 1.5" poles and I found most moves like pretzel and flat line scorpio to be much easy on my body. I pretty sure I can do the allegra on those poles, no problem. I just have to find a way to work around the thicker poles…or find myself a 1.5" pole!

• deetron

January 30, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Yes this move hurts my side at my floating ribs too!! I’m putting it fairly high up in the list of the most painful moves I’ve ever tried!!

• estine

September 18, 2011 at 5:48 pm

i find that you really have to focus on keeping it closer to your hip other wise the pressure ends up pushing on your ribs and it def hurts. i'm actually short too 5 ft 1in so i can relate with needing to be precise with getting into the move correctly

• amy

September 18, 2011 at 9:16 pm

turn your back to the pole– it shouldn't be on your side, open your chest and drop that outside shoulder!!

• OopseyDaisey

September 19, 2011 at 1:25 am

My problem is that my arm can barely reach when I turn to the side.  I'd love to see a picture of a short gal (who isn't super bendy) doing it so I could see where they hold.

• Deesse Jesse

September 19, 2011 at 7:37 am

Hey! I'm also really short (in the 5 foot nothing category) and I got my allegra! Maybe not the best looking but I'm pretty satisfied with it 🙂

I agree with Amy that I use my back instead of my side to hold. The first few times I had pole shaped bruises running diagonally across my back. I also use my thigh to hold a lot. Anyway, I'm linking to my pic of it. Good luck!!! I promise it's possible!!

https://www.studioveena.com/photos/view_photo/4db21390-1384-441d-be98-6ded0ac37250

• pegasusaerialfitness

September 19, 2011 at 8:23 am

I broke my 10th and 11th rib a few months ago working on the jade and the allegra. Not exactly sure which one did it, but if is more pain then just pole burn get someone to help you so you don't hurt your self and have to take time off.  I think Veena has a great lesson on this move. 

• pegasusaerialfitness

September 19, 2011 at 11:08 am

Great post. I love the discription of the Allegra. I will try agian when I am 100%.

• amy

September 19, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I find personally that going into the move from a hands-free chopper is much less painful as the pole is deep (and stays in) in the hiphold and doesn’t have as much of a achance to migrate to the ribs.

• ottersocks

September 19, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I like Jenyne's method of going into Allegra from apprentice. It also puts the pole right at your hip and allows you to unwind your chest away from the pole, so the ribs never make contact. 

• LopsiJulie

September 19, 2011 at 4:37 pm

@ottersocks: can you please send a link of the video 🙂  I'm having trouble visualizing this.

• pegasusaerialfitness

September 19, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Oh yes…that would be great. I tried to find it on youtube..but no luck

• ottersocks

September 19, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I have zero skill/luck at finding moves in videos, my apologies!

I learned this from Jenyne. You start in an apprentice V hold at the side of the pole– for me, right (inside) thigh pressed to pole, left outside arm at nose height, right inside arm fingers down with right thigh placed on the pole above the hand. Lean back into a V.  (See Apprentice on http://www.wikipole.org–but don't hook the top ankle on the pole, and keep both legs straight.)

From there, both knees bend so you tuck into a ball and hold the pole between your knees/lower thighs. To do that, you'll need to let the pole slide from the top of the right inside thigh up deep into the hip crease on that leg. Once you have a good squeeze on the pole, your bottom right hand releases and re-grabs the pole behind the right inside knee, thumb up. Release the left outside hand, and unroll the body and chest away from the pole, down to the left. Ta da–Allegra!

I hope this helps. If you're totally mystified, I can try to video it.

• ottersocks

September 19, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I have zero skill/luck at finding moves in videos, my apologies!

I learned this from Jenyne. You start in an apprentice V hold at the side of the pole– for me, right (inside) thigh pressed to pole, left outside arm at nose height, right inside arm fingers down with right thigh placed on the pole above the hand. Lean back into a V.  (See Apprentice on http://www.wikipole.org–but don't hook the top ankle on the pole, and keep both legs straight.)

From there, both knees bend so you tuck into a ball and hold the pole between your knees/lower thighs. To do that, you'll need to let the pole slide from the top of the right inside thigh up deep into the hip crease on that leg. Once you have a good squeeze on the pole, your bottom right hand releases and re-grabs the pole behind the right inside knee, thumb up. Release the left outside hand, and unroll the body and chest away from the pole, down to the left. Ta da–Allegra!

I hope this helps. If you're totally mystified, I can try to video it.

• pegasusaerialfitness

September 19, 2011 at 5:21 pm

cool..thanks ottersocks

Page 1 of 2