StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Aerial frustration – I need to vent

• Aerial frustration – I need to vent

Posted by wildredhead24 on February 14, 2013 at 1:53 am

I need to vent…. I am part of a show with several aerial acts, one of which is silks. Do I have a silks act? No. Do I know several silks tricks? Yes.  (I perform several aerial routines on different apparatus, dabbled in silks but focused elsewhere.)  

It came to my attention that the "silks act" of the show was without leadership, and that many of the girls were learning tricks… FROM A BOOK!!  I stepped in (and over the head of their – non-present  "act leader" ) and asked what was going on, do they have a plan, what tricks are they doing, etc. Not only were they attempting tricks WAY above their skill/ endurance level – but quite a few of them were WRONG! They were backwards, using the wrong leg, etc. OMG – so  dangerous!

I am angry that their "act-leader" deserted them, frustrated that the tricks were wrong (mostly because of safety) and feeling bad  for these girls who have been working so hard.

Aerial arts are NOT to be taken lightly, one fall could land you in a wheelchair for life! PLEASE  be smart. Invest in lessons from qualified teachers, NOT a book, NOT Youtube, do NOT skimp on rigging –  BE safe! 

aliceBheartless replied 11 years, 3 months ago 8 Members · 38 Replies
  • 38 Replies
  • chemgoddess1

February 14, 2013 at 7:14 am

Depending on the book.  The manuals by Rebekah Leach are outstanding and I know quite a few people who have expanded their knowledge of aerial through them.  But to say pick up the book and become a performer without any formal instruction whatsoever would not be ideal.

• Elektra Vallens

February 14, 2013 at 7:46 am

I couldn't agree more with you wildredhead. 

I have the Rebecca Leach books and I use them during my training time, but I also have three years of classes, workshops, etc. under my belt. I also mainly use the books to refresh my memory, NOT learn a new drop or something. If I see something I want to learn, I'll ask an instructor.  Which is exactly why you really should not learn silks on your own the way you can learn pole. Silks are very difficult- it requires enough upper body strength to hold yourself up for long enough to get yourself out of a pinch, and on top of that the fabrics are slippery and you can easily become entangled in them.  If you wrap a drop wrong, you could fall out or dislocate something if you land wrong.  I personally know someone who had a terrible accident that resulted in tearing one of th heads of his bicep in two, causing it to "roll up inside his arm like a window shade." 

Frankly, the amount of traffic I've seen on this sight having to do with unsafe aerials is deeply worrisome.  Whether it's people rigging their silks from a tree, or videos of people practicing with their silks tied to an upstairs railing (and that same person wrapped up wrong in the same video), it's a really bad sign.  Until recently, you had to go to circus school to learn these things. As silks becomes more mainstream and more people hear about and want to do it, there will inevitably be a certain amount of cutting corners happening.  I just don't look forward to all the accidents, some of them serious, that will inevitably happen too.

• chemgoddess1

February 14, 2013 at 8:56 am

I will assume that the girls who have been hired to perform in an act, which I will also assume is not a one time gig, have had training.  I imagine they have probably had a few years of training if they are good enough to go out and be hired performers.

I just wanted that part clear.

• portableninja

February 14, 2013 at 9:15 am

I took one aerial workshop. It was in a studio, with a professional aerialist instructor. The quality of the instruction was excellent and safety was the top priority. I enjoyed it, but I don't really want to pursue aerials any further. Why? Even with excellent instruction and spotting, it scared the crap out of me in a way that pole does not. Even on a pole, I always feel like I'm no more than 10 feet away from safety (less than 8 feet in my home). Even if I'm tired, all I have to do is make my way back to a pole sit or a basic invert position, and then I can safely dismount.

I scared myself on a lyra, because I realized the only thing keeping me from falling on my head was my own strength and fear not to fall and get seriously injured. I know pole can be just as dangerous, but I feel you work your way up to the dangerous stuff because strength limits you. You can find yourself in a dangerous position in aerials on day one.

• CD Hussey fka Jivete

February 14, 2013 at 9:42 am

Funny, I feel the same way with pole. There’s nothing keeping me from falling on my head except strength and a tenuous grip of skin on metal. In silks, at least I’m tangled up for the most part.

That being said, silks aren’t to be taken lightly. Get a wrap wrong in a drop and that’s it. I can look at a pose in lyra or pole and figure out what’s going on (for the most part). That’s not true for silks. Especially when learning new skills, you need hands on training.

• Lyme Lyte

February 14, 2013 at 9:47 am

I’ll be damned if I can even hold an invert on silks! I don’t like that you you don’t have something hard and solid to hold onto. And of course my instructor wont let us wrap the fabric around our wrist for extra support….. 🙁

• portableninja

February 14, 2013 at 9:48 am

Interesting, jivete! I feel like I can get to a safe resting position a lot more easily on a pole (even if  I'm still up in the air). On a lyra it seemed like the only "rest" position was having my feet on the ground! But that could just be my inexperience with the apparatus.

Getting tangled up in silks would be a nightmare for me. I feel like I would have a panic attack. Same reason I won't go scuba diving… you need to stay calm if something goes wrong.

• Dancing Paws

February 14, 2013 at 10:36 am

I stopped doing silks for the time being. I wasn't progressing because of lack of strength and stamina. Silks are HARD. I would NEVER attempt them without an instructor present.

• chemgoddess1

February 14, 2013 at 10:38 am

What Lyme??  Are you serious?  The first thing I learned from both instructors was a hand wrap in several different ways, but each and every one involved wrapping the wrist.  The only time I don't wrap wrists is when I wrap feet/legs.

• CD Hussey fka Jivete

February 14, 2013 at 10:42 am

I’ve been tangled before and even though I was only 5 ft or so off the ground it was unnerving. You definitely have to keep calm and rest while unwrapping. Anymore, I always practice new wraps as close to the ground as possible, preferably where I can touch.

Just another reason silks shouldn’t be self-taught. Even kicking out of a footlock can tangle if done wrong.

• Elektra Vallens

February 14, 2013 at 10:42 am

Every instructor is different in what they teach first.  The first thing I learned was a footlock.  Some teachers spend a lot of time with you in a sling before teaching that.  Lyme's instructor probably didn't want her to wrap her wrists while inverting because you won't be building as much wrist/hand strength that way.  Inverting without wrapped wrists is totally normal.

• Dancing Paws

February 14, 2013 at 10:44 am

Chem – my instructor wouldn't let me do it either, despite me being exhausted. It is considered "lazy." I just don't have the endurance for a 1 1/2 hour class where you climb the whole time.

• Lyme Lyte

February 14, 2013 at 10:45 am

Serious Chem!  So when we invert, it just just by grabbing onto the silks.  My finger tips don't really have enough strenth to hold me!  Now I can CLIMB but last week we had to learn back walk over and front walk over and I fell, because I just couldn't keep my grip.  I have asked several times, can I wrap my wrist, then this wouldn't even be a problem for me and they said NO!

• Lyme Lyte

February 14, 2013 at 10:47 am

I guess everyone teaches different, but damn it, let me do a wrist wrap!  LOL

• Elektra Vallens

February 14, 2013 at 10:47 am

Lyme – can you describe what you mean by back walkover and front walkover?

Page 1 of 3