StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Advice on the Marion Amber?

• Advice on the Marion Amber?

Posted by Sassafrassle on January 17, 2012 at 1:45 am

Hi folks. We're trying to work through the logistics of the Marion Amber move (http://poledancedictionary.com/moves/350/marion-amber/ if you're not sure what I mean) in some of my classes at the moment but I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on it? I've watched several clips online (including emotioncatcher's and the pole dance dictionary one linked to above) and everyone seems to brace the pole against their legs at different points and I've also seen people doing it with twisted grip, split grip, and true grip, and I'm wondering about the relative merits of the grips for this particular moves? Any advice would be much appreciated! Ta.

emotioncatcher replied 11 years, 12 months ago 15 Members · 53 Replies
  • 53 Replies
  • emotioncatcher

January 17, 2012 at 2:22 am

i have only tried it with a twisted grip. for me the main problem was that i always felt back into the pole. For me it helped to grip very close to my upper knee and quite low with the other hand.

• chemgoddess1

January 17, 2012 at 7:58 am

Are you able to get a reverse ayesha? (it is called batman on that site).  This to me would be learning the basics of getting from an invert into a twisted grip hold.  After getting that movement I would think this move would be easier to comprehend with your body. 

• Mary Ellyn

January 17, 2012 at 8:16 am

Not sure if it will help any but have you seen this version of an entry for it with split grip? This is the way I've been working on it and it seems to be going well.

http://youtu.be/HZOKdCyGndk

• Sassafrassle

January 17, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Thanks for the tips folks. I've been trying it with the split grip (it was that clip Empyrean that got me interested in doing the move in the first place! She gets into it so beautifully) because, for some reason, even though I'm fine getting into twisted grip from the ground, I struggle getting my wrist/hand in the right place once I'm up the pole right-side up! 

Chem, I have done reverse ayeshas before but not for ages. When I did them though, it felt more like a hang and balance rather than a push and pop (which is what this one seems like it would be but maybe I was doing them wrong at the time?

What we seem to be having problems with especially is figuring out where exactly the pole should be placed on the leg when bracing to flip over and so until we can get the idea of that, things are kinda stalled!

• emotioncatcher

January 17, 2012 at 1:07 pm

You´re right, it´s more like a pushing motion.

I retried the Marion Amber today with split grip and twisted grip. I would definitly recommend the split grip. The position in the twisted grip is already stresses the wrist, but when your leg pushes again your arm right under your wrist, it´s even worse.

Split Grip is only a little harder to hold, but much safer.

For the Split Grip Marion Amber I also grip directly over my hooked knee. When you now try to push around and it doesn´t work, try to lower your other hand a bit until you´re able to push your bottom up. My upper leg stays in the same position all the time, I only extend the leg while pushing up.

Keep your legs together and slowly extend the other leg. If you fall back while extending your bottom was not pushed up enough

• Veena

Administrator
    January 17, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I thought I would upload a practice vid for you guys. I enter into the Marion Amber a bit differently than in other vids I have seen. I use a True grip. Skittles has a vid of her using the true grip as well https://www.studioveena.com/videos/view/4f15d625-7cd0-45c2-8023-02c70ac37250

• emotioncatcher

January 17, 2012 at 2:45 pm

you make it look so easy! I thought about trying it with a true grip, too, but was scared the leg could push my hand off the pole… maybe next time =)

• Sassafrassle

January 17, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Awesome, thx for the vid Veena! Doing it from the cupid seems like it would bypass one of the problems we've been having (I'm sure we'll find more;p) so I'll def give that a try. Presumably it's doable with a split grip rather than the true grip with the same method? I kinda want to give the true grip a try but I've not really done much with it before. I'd seen Skittles' vid using it but I usually watch her clips and think pretty much anything she does is beyond my reach:)

• Sassafrassle

January 19, 2012 at 3:05 am

I tried it again today in class and had much more luck using the true grip rather than the other grips – for some reason this gave me more room for butt manoeuvring so I managed to get that up and even extended the back leg! Next step, working on getting both legs extended:) But maybe in a few days time – the bruises upon bruises are looking epic…mind you, it's my birthday tomorrow and nailing a new move would be some kind of sweet present to myself;p

• emotioncatcher

January 19, 2012 at 3:18 am

congrats sassafrassle! I hope you´ll nail it on your birthday =)

• Veena

Administrator
    January 19, 2012 at 8:25 am

Yay Sass!!! I'll be trying it again this weekend, if I figure out any good tips I'll let you all know. Today is rest day! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_heart1.gif

• Charley

January 19, 2012 at 5:11 pm

🙁 I'm still having trouble getting upside down – I think I am not flexible enough to do this move…This one has me mystified – it's kinda fun, I haven't spent this much time breaking something down over and over in a long time – it's the my new fonji – gotta have it!

• amy

January 19, 2012 at 7:08 pm

i'm excited to try true grip! the twisted grip version made my top wrist FREAAAAK OUT. thanks for the idea ladies!

• Sassafrassle

January 19, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Charley, this is the first move I've become so completely obsessed with as I'm convinced it's a technique thing for me rather than something I need to build up to! I watched youtube clips over and over again the other day when I was practicing it at home – I can tell you the things I noticed that I should be doing (rather than what I am actually doing;p) if that would be any help? I'm still unsure if what I am doing is completely right but it wasn't till I tried it with the true grip rather than a split grip that I managed to get my butt in the right position, plus I had to make sure my chest was close to the pole and my arms spread really far apart. I'm unsure if this is the "proper" way to do it though 'cos I notice that both the PDD lady and Skittles in her clip pull further away from the pole so it ends up against the calf rather than just above the knee, which is what the other people I've watched do it seem to have (and I'm yet to try straightening the front leg to test how I do it). I'm looking forward to hearing how Veena's further practices go!

• Sassafrassle

January 19, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Ooh and hear about Amy's trying as she is my guru:)

Page 1 of 4