StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Why did you start pole dancing? Is it the same reason you continued?

• Why did you start pole dancing? Is it the same reason you continued?

Posted by ShonaLancs on April 16, 2012 at 4:39 pm

So I was thinking about why I started pole dancing today and all the reasons why I now continue to pole dance and how it has brought out in me things I never expected it to-like being competitive and getting over my chocolate cravings!!
    I think it would be interesting to hear why you started? Do you carry on for the same reason? What did poling do to you that you never expected?

FuzzyNavel replied 12 years ago 21 Members · 21 Replies
  • 21 Replies
  • Runemist34

April 16, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Why did I start? I thought it'd be fun, and because I was often amazed by the things I saw as I slowly entered the wild world of pole dance via the Internet.

Why do I keep going? Because it IS fun, and I want to do those amazing things that I see in the pole dancing community on the internet!

What did poling do to me that I never expected? Taught me to be okay with being upside down, and to enjoy exercise. That was certainly a new one for me 😛

• XxMyztikxX

April 16, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I went to a strip club with my brother to pick up his girlfriend. And i saw her do one of her sets…. i think the first move i ever saw done on the pole was from her that night. And i think she either did the gemini or the butterfly. And thats when I fell in love. it looked soooo beautiful to me. I thought to myself.. I…. want to  be able to do that…I want to look like that up there… So she saw me one move at my brothers house on (i know its bad but i didnt know at the time) a PEEKABOO pole eeek… it was the side spin? not sure what it was called. then i saw my brother go upside down for fun an it pissed me off that i couldnt do it lol…pissed me off so much the very next day i went up side down =) i wanted it so bad. ever since then, i was on my own. And taught myself. from watching videos on youtube. Its weird to look back at that an where im at now… The reason I continue i think is both the same and different. I still want to look that good on the pole, but i also want to look better. Not better than HER just…. make the movement look better. More flexible, more strong, more….me… I want to be noticed for what I do one day, once i am able to bring out the dancer in me. Once i am able to bring out that emotion. I learned in the workshop i was just at that its SOOO hard to show REAL emotion. And so easy to see fake emotion. I can def fake it. But I want to feel it… I want the pole to be my dance partner. I continue bc It makes me strong, flexible,different. Makes me happy. Proud. confident. Someone ive never been in my life….even as a bellydancer. Pole made me open up more and do better with bellydance. And i cant wait to open up bellydance with pole dance =) Over all, I continue bc I see the transformation its done for me. And i dont want to stop at that. I want more =)

• opielee

April 17, 2012 at 12:09 am

Hmm…where do I start for me?i used to work in the clubs so I forever like pole for that reason,stopped for yrs,had a health scare and basically got my health in check,pole reignited for me a love of dance and love of striptease dance,it opened my eyes to new creative possibilities,and it made me appreciate my lack of height being that pole is not specific to only those who are 5′ 7″ and over

• CreativityBySteffie

April 17, 2012 at 1:31 am

I stumbled over TaraKarina's channel on youtube and I thought I'd watch her and see what all that fuss was about. (every girl my age in my town, had talked about taing pole lessons)

I showed her channel to my bf and said I was thinking about learning that. A couple of weeks later, a pole arrived. ( guess he thought it was a good idea too;)) Sadly it was a peek-a-boo! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_puke_r.gif

But he quickly got that returned as he was convinced our lamp, was more sturdy for pole, then that thing. He then gave me and x-pole and my life has never been the same 🙂 

• Lallinka

April 17, 2012 at 2:29 am

I saw a clip on youtube with Felix Cane 4 years ago and fell in love. I was bigger then and had no confidence what so ever so I didnt have the courage to try. But I guess the dreaming started there.

I´ve always hade low selfasteem and I never feel neither sexy, beautiful or graceful. When I got my pole 2 years ago the only time I felt good about myself was when I danced. And it was so fun! I havent been able to start to dance often until last autumn because of a bad back.

I guess I started because it looked so beautiful and I wanted to be aswell. And now when I do I more often I just feel so damn calm and happy. It is my lucky pill. 🙂 It´s good exercise, helps my back and a real ego boost.

Haha, I sound so lame! ^^

• KuriKat

April 17, 2012 at 7:03 am

I saw a Groupon deal to try out the Level 1 class at a local studio and I thought it would be fun and make me feel sexy and cool to try pole dancing. At that time I had no idea about all the interesting tricks that could be done on the pole.

I keep going because there's always a new challenge: at the same time I master one thing, I have five new tricks that I'm working on to get right and the feeling of accomplishement when I master a trick is always a high. 🙂

• Lyme Lyte

April 17, 2012 at 10:56 am

I started pole because my sister bought a pole.  She got me encouraged then stopped poling!  I have now been going a year and love it.  It (pole and Veeners) has helped me through alot of abuse issues confronting my so called "family" and even with the death of my father a few months back.  It has given me physical strenght as well, which I lost all of when I got Lyme disease a few years back

I am happy to say may sister is back on the Pole journey.  She just posted her first video as well.  I'm excited for me and her.  Her name is Sublime (since she's my little sister).   Loving the journey!

• Elektra Vallens

April 17, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I started pole as a strength training supplement for aerial acrobatics– it was recommended to me by aerialist friends– but I never dreamed that I would become as obsessed with it as I have.  To be honest, I had been to clubs where the dancing wasn't great, and the image I had of it in my mind before I started was that the pole was more of a prop than anything else, so when I saw my first video of competitive poling my mind was blown!

In fact, the thought of competing kept me going for the first few months, but eventually reality set in, I realized how long it would take to train to that level, and I dialed back my expectations.  I still think about competing, but now I try to focus on how I can progress and become better a better poler, regardless of whether I ever make it to that level. 

I am also lucky to have friends who have an interest in pole, and some of the places I hang out have poles, so I've been able to perform periodically at parties and events, which gives me something to look forward to.  This is especially important because right before I started poling I quit drinking. Poling helped motivate me to stay quit, and gave me something great to do at parties, when everyone else is getting drunk.  Incidentally, I am pretty shy in person, and before doing pole I never, ever thought I wanted to be a performer of any sort.  I'm still shocked by how much I like performing for people!

• HotelChick

April 18, 2012 at 12:15 am

I started one year ago to gain strength and muscle tone and improve my posture. I need strength to continue to operate my business and protect my back as I age. I chose pole because I’ve never been able to stick to a workout. No other workout has held my attention. I’ve been lucky that I’ve never had any weight or health issues so working out has never been high on my list of priorities. But, I knew I needed to start doing something to strengthen my back. I will never get bored pole dancing. There is always another song to dance to, another trick to learn, a desire to increase flexibility, new shoes and pole clothes to buy… 😉
    I’ve gained so much more than the strength I was seeking. I’ve made many new friends in this great community. The support and love of polers is unlike that of any other community, and I value and treasure the guidance and comfort I find here. I know pole dancing will be my lifelong passion, an outlet for expression, and a refuge from the trivial troubles of daily life. I began poling for physical strength. I continue poling for emotional release and community support. For me, pole dancing is truly holistic medicine.

• Hazi411

April 18, 2012 at 6:53 am

I saw a pole dance demonstration a few years ago, and thought it looked like fun.  Never did anything about it for ages, but 2009 was a horrible year for me, so towards the end of that year I decided I was going to try pole dancing in 2010.  Tried it – loved it right from the start, and have now become totally addicted!  I love the strength, the flexibility, the fun of spinning around, the creativity of customising clothes to make them into pole outfits, and the confidence poledancing has given me.  I also love the fact that it can be a little bit naughty 😉

• Krissykiki

April 18, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I had wanted to try pole fitness for years but after a bad break up I made a new friend who was selling her x-pole since she was moving. i jumped on the opportunity as I wanted to really work on my fitness and it had always looked fun. I grew up in dance and gymnastics so the fact that pole fitness used both made it perfect for me! Trying to self teach was slow progress so a couple of months in I joined a class. I started for fitness but I stay in it for the wonderul confidence booster it is. I love the addciting feeling of finally getting a move and feeling so strong and powerful that I can lift my own weight and do things I never thought possible.

Pole has really helped me love my body for what it is and what it can do rather that how it looks. 🙂     <3 pole <3

• MariYabe

April 18, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Five years ago a friend dragged me to class.

When I first saw pole I was confused and messmerized at the same time. My fitness instructor who teaches yoga, spin, group exersise was offering pole dance out of her home. I didn't get it. I thought it was a really strange thing to do. My friend kept bugging me to take a class. Telling me "it's so much fun" while covered in bruises. I thought "hell no."

After I saw my instructor dance a freestyle routine, a ray of light struck. I was instantly hooked! All the pieces came into place. Like a perfect storm. I've danced, competed, performed my all my life in a rich variety of sports and art. Pole makes perfect sense. It's beautiful, difficult and most of all creative. It is never ending therefore you can never be bored. You can reach certain limits but there is always something to improve upon and something new to learn.

The friend is gone and the original teacher is gone but I've kept up with pole and love it. Who wants to run or swim laps and stare at the bottom of a pool for fitness? Not me, I'd rather dance!

• PoleFeline

April 18, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I have just started pole dancing on March 5th. I have always been an exerciser but was so sick of the same old kickboxing, step, boot camp classes, running and weight lifting that I would rather watch paint dry. The result was that I gained weight because I didn't go to the classes because I absolutely dreaded every minute of them. I am going to be 50 in September and always get mistaken for someone much younger………except my weight. I need to lose about 50lbs. I want to lose weight and go into my 50's feeling and looking great and it's really important to me to remain strong and healthy as I age and I think exercising is absolutely necessary in order to do so. I started searching for anything dance related for exercise because I've always loved choreographed dancing. When I found the pole class studio I was really surprised and thought it was for bachelorette parties and young girls AND skinny girls! I went to the free first class and started watching Youtube videos and was hooked. I've signed up for an annual membership at the studio where I take classes. I joined this website, bought shoes, grip, pole, moved the kitchen table and chairs out of the kitchen so I can use my pole it whenever I want until we move and I can get a room all my own. I have many bruises and sore spots to prove how hard I'm working at this I look like I've been beaten! I find it to be so incredibly liberating. I put on those shoes and those little pants the girls wear and get lost in it. I was so intimidated the first time I went into that classroom but there are women there of all shapes and sizes and no one judges. I want to master the art of this beautiful way to stay fit. And, it has started a whole different type of shoe obsession for me! Love it!! 

• nichtooks

April 19, 2012 at 9:43 am

I attended a few pole classes in 2010 as a new studio had opened up where I lived in England. I have a background in gymnastics and performing arts and thought poling would be a new way to continue the gymnastic side of phys. I gave up the classes mid 2010 as I was getting married and had too much to do after work on an evening, and didn't particularly want the bruises that come with poling on my big day!
    Shortly after getting married we moved to Germany with the forces. I'd always told my hubby he should buy me a pole, but other, more important purchases had to be made first. Then he suprised me this year by ordering a pole for me during his deployment. Have to say it's been the best thing he ever bought me as it's given me something to really get my teeth into and to keep me entertained whilst he's away. Definitely looking forward to 'performing' for him in person when he gets back 😀
    Love how poling has made me stronger and more flexible in such a short period of time, whilst being soooooo fun. It really has to be one of the best ways to exercise!

• Cara Christina

April 19, 2012 at 10:13 am

I started a little less than 2 years ago after my second child was born.  I needed to lose the pregnancy weight and I was not enjoying my other exercise regimens.  I tried running, the gym, even aerobics and I had to force myself to go every time.  I'd seen an article about pole dance in my city so I decided to give it a try.  My intro class was cancelled but in return the studio gave me a private instruction with the studio owner (Lizz Schoefield, who is also the PFA founder) and I was hooked!  I bought a five visit pass just to be sure and used it up in about a week.  I could already see that I was more toned.  It also helped me get back in touch with my sensual/sexy side, which had lapsed a little after I did a grueling residency and had 2 kids!  I haven't been able to stop since.  I look forward to class and now have a pole in my house.  I've even taught the kids and the hubby some tricks.  At 33, I am in the best shape of my entire life!  I have also made some amazing friends and met women that I never would have met otherwise who are now an important part of my life. 

Page 1 of 2