StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Re: Pole options for suspended/’drop’ ceilings…?

• Re: Pole options for suspended/’drop’ ceilings…?

Posted by Ekinkah on June 25, 2013 at 1:19 am

Hi guys,

I’ve just moved to a new town for work (no friends, family or boyfriend) and have been very disappointed to discover the place I am staying in has suspended ceilings! That is to say, there are no joists flush against the ceiling, and when I push on the ceiling it moves. Aside from packing my X-Pole away and being super sad for the next 10 months, what are my options? I’m going insane! 🙁

blueyedgrl replied 10 years, 10 months ago 5 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • korinne

June 25, 2013 at 1:32 am

Not a great answer for money reasons… but a stage pole is your best bet.

• Ekinkah

June 25, 2013 at 1:40 am

An X-Pole? An R-Pole? My ceiling is less than 3 meters high so I have to consider that too!

Waiting to hear from someone about an X-Pole that I won after signing up to the Australian Pole Festival, hopefully it is a stage, but I doubt it! 🙁

• korinne

June 25, 2013 at 2:00 am

To manage an X-Stage with a lower ceiling, you switch out the top piece which is appx. 1.5m with either the 1000mm or 750mm extension based on your ceiling heights. 

• Ekinkah

June 25, 2013 at 2:04 am

Are they the same extension pieces as from the non-stage X-Pert, or do you buy special stage ones? I was under the impression that you had to cut the top piece if your ceiling was less than 3.3 meters!

• Ekinkah

June 25, 2013 at 2:04 am

Are they the same extension pieces as from the non-stage X-Pert, or do you buy special stage ones? I was under the impression that you had to cut the top piece if your ceiling was less than 3.3 meters!

• korinne

June 25, 2013 at 2:05 am

I've never seen an R Pole in the US so I have no idea on those. 

• korinne

June 25, 2013 at 2:11 am

They are the exact same extensions as the x-pert. I have been using this technique for almost two years now when I have to bring my pole to venues with lower ceilings. I use imperial units so it's hard for me to think in metric! My ceilings are 2.75 and I can set it up with the 750 extension with room to spare. 

• chemgoddess1

June 25, 2013 at 9:28 am

Ummm….have you pushed the tiles out of the way to see what is above them?  You may be able to remove a tile just for the pole.  You need to get in there and see what kind of ceiling is above those tiles.

• chemgoddess1

June 25, 2013 at 9:34 am

And the reason you have not seen them in the US is because they are RIDICULOUSLY expensive with the exchange rate and shipping.  Currently $1454 prior to shipping (pole plus solid base).

• Melcifer

June 25, 2013 at 10:40 am

I have used R-poles in the UK. They are super easy to set up and take down but are not as stable as X-pole stage poles. The base is very light and can come up off the ground on moves with lots of force like shoulder mount or back grab spin. If you want to "dance" the base tends to get in the way as it's plastic like a gym mat or without it you have to step over the spindles of the base. It is super portable and fun to set up in odd places, but I wouldn't recommend it for daily practice or any performance where you might want to wear heels.

• Ekinkah

June 25, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Chem, it’s not a tiled ceiling, it’s just plasterboard/jiprock – we took a light out and saw inside that it was not attached to any joists or anything solid really (hence why I can move it with my hands), and the solid ceiling is a fair way above it. The only way would be able to put a hole in the plaster, and it’s not really an option!

I am glad I did not decide to get an r-pole, haha! They don’t sound very good! I am going with the x-stage lite option, as I won an x-pole in a competition and they are letting me pay the difference to get the stage! Just waiting to see which extension they will advise for my ceiling height of 2.4 meters.

Thanks for all your replies ladies, good to know I’ve always got some solid advice when in a pole-pickle!

• Ekinkah

June 25, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Korinne – how big is the bottom part of the pole, once you remove the top part (for the purposes of switching it out for an extension)? I want to use as much height as I can with my 2.4 meter ceiling, you see! 🙂

• korinne

June 25, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Mine is 5ft exactly which google says is 1524mm. When setting up the x-stage, you need an additional ~100 to 150mm to put in the xjoint. I would get the 750 if I were you. 7400-1524- 100= 776. 

• korinne

June 25, 2013 at 5:38 pm

The  500mm will make the pole really short… You could get the 500+200+additional xjoint  if you're worried that it will be cutting it too close, but that'll add up!

• korinne

June 25, 2013 at 5:38 pm

The  500mm will make the pole really short… You could get the 500+200+additional xjoint  if you're worried that it will be cutting it too close, but that'll add up!

Page 1 of 2