StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions installing aerial silks?

• installing aerial silks?

Posted by polebunny on October 21, 2010 at 5:18 pm

i am interested in getting some silks for at home, especially after seeing they are pretty affordable (15$/yard on the site i saw) but the site didn’t offer any equipment for installing, how do you do that?

duderer replied 11 years, 3 months ago 18 Members · 21 Replies
  • 21 Replies
  • chemgoddess1

October 21, 2010 at 5:39 pm

$15 a yard seems WAY too inexpensive for aerial silks.

As for installing, there are very specific riggings and attachments in order to get them up safely. A site that is just selling the fabric and nothing else I would steer clear of (unless you specifically know what you are looking for when it comes to width, strength and stretch of the fabric).

On edit…I just realized that many of the silks I was looking at were entire kits.

• Jenn

October 21, 2010 at 6:20 pm

I recently bought some silks from the studio where I take lessons, but haven’t got the hardware yet… Here is a website that I found, that sells silks and hardware which is pretty reasonably priced…
    http://aerialrevolution.com/equipment.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What you’ll need to hang your fabric will depend on what structure you are hanging it from, how sturdy it is, how much weight can it hold, how much force can it withstand from sudden drops, etc. Here is a good resource which will help you to figure out what you need, http://community.simplycircus.com/tutorials/aerial/aerial_arts_faq.htm#Rigging" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I would recommend you speak to a professional rigger before you try to install the apparatus yourself however. It can be very dangerous, if installed improperly.

• lilblondie

October 27, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Let me know if you have a specific question! I am in no way an expert, BUT I take classes at Simply Circus (the school linked above) and can ask the owner who is a professional rigger and has hung all of their aerial apparatus. I just ordered silks myself yesterday and plan to ask him about hanging mine. I have a large central wood beam in my house into which I can drill (but the top is not exposed, so I can’t make a sling).

• carriej

December 12, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I just bought my silks and AM NOT an expert. I plan to put mine up in the spring and use a spanner, a carabiner, a swivel, another carabiner, and a rescue 8. I’m thinking of putting the spanner around a high tree branch in the back of my house! Now, just to figure out how to take them down easily when it rains. hmmm….

• davidpendu

March 2, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I perform on aerial silks, though not professionally.  The fabric I use, and that all the folks I train with use, is 40 denier nylon tricot– $15/yard for it would be quite spendy (the place I bought mine from lists it as $6.50/yard).  Bear in mind that it's hung doubled over, so you need twice the length from ceiling to floor… that's 12 yards if you have an 18' ceiling, which isn't *really* all that high.

People get very particular about rigging, and rightly so– talk with someone who is an expert in that (not me) before setting up your silks.  But the actual hardware, if you don't buy it in a package with the silk from a specialized aerial apparatus vendor, is basically all rock-climbing gear, and can be bought in places that sell that.

• Jenn

March 3, 2011 at 12:07 am

– I just bought my silks and AM NOT an expert. I plan to put mine up in the spring and use a spanner, a carabiner, a swivel, another carabiner, and a rescue 8. I'm thinking of putting the spanner around a high tree branch in the back of my house! Now, just to figure out how to take them down easily when it rains. hmmm…. "

I saw a website that explains how to use rock climbing rope to rig the silks to a tree effectively.  Maybe it will help you? Also, I'm not positive but I think the blogger of this site isamember here as well.  Is this Kelioces?  http://aerialempowerment.blogspot.com/2010/10/how-to-rig-aerial-apparatuses-from.html

• lilblondie

March 3, 2011 at 6:23 am

Thought I would reply — I have mine up with a LARGE bolt into a structural beam, a carabiner, and a rescue 8.  I bought the bolt from Home Depot and the others from REI. 

The fabric is 40 denier nylon tricot at $7.50/yd from http://fabricdepotco.com/2011Pages/page29.html.  Yes, they are stuck in the last century and you have to mail in an order form or call them — but they are total sweethearts and will write you personal emails telling you they have received and shipped your order!

• Leeannpole

March 3, 2011 at 6:40 am

Iv been looking into installing a hoop, iv asked the store for advise and they said id need to have a structural engineer to see if its safe to install. So is it the same principle for silks?

• PhillyPoleJess

March 3, 2011 at 1:04 pm

@Leann, If rigging a hoop is not possible or plan on moving in the near future maybe try a portable for now.  ( have to email them to ask if it spin although I assume it does)

http://trapezerigging.com/IndoorRigging/

I saw this hoop on one of our Veener's pages and am saving for one 

• Maria-Elena Kadala

October 11, 2011 at 4:23 pm

This is an old thread, but it's what came up when I googled "hanging aerial silks"!  Though not interested in silks right now, I am interested in getting this:

http://www.yogadirect.com/Anti-Gravity-Yoga-Inversion-Swing_p_1057.html

Just can't figure out what I'd hang it with???  have looked on several sites, and can't find the part that attaches to the ceiling beam.

• randomgurlie

October 11, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I'm a retired aerialist and while there may be many methods of rigging at home, I HIGHLY recommend seeking the advice of a professional, preferably a structural engineer.  I have performed at many venues and I never had my apparatus rigged without a consult.  Not only does your ceiling structure need to be inspected but you also need to know the proper length of the silks which will be determined not only by the ceiling height but also the type of silks (some have more stretch) you will be using. 

Most of the materials can be purchased relatively inexpensively but any alterations to your ceiling structure may run quite a bit more.  The price is worth it when you consider the potential damage to yourself or your home.

• Polecat88

October 12, 2011 at 1:39 am

for yoga hammocks it is entirely possible to get a frame to hang it on. There's a lady in my city who sells these frames for approx £100. Otherwise it is def worth having someone take a look at where you will hang it.

• PinkPony

October 12, 2011 at 7:43 am

OMG PhillyPoleJess, I am soooo going to buy that thing right this second, that is GENIUS!!!! I had no idea such a thing existed, thank you SO MUCH for posting that link!!! =)

@RandomGurlie, I am trying to so hard to break into the aerialism (I study hoop & love it! And of course I do pole too.). I think aerialists are the most beautiful people in the world & I work all the time to be as skilled as I possibly can be. But I admit I am a bit lost when it comes to finding opportunities to perform. Any advice for someone new to the trade?

Thank you Veeners! 😉

• ORGANIC ANGEL

October 12, 2011 at 9:54 am

That is really cool, but the price is soooooooooooooo high! It's a small fortune.Still looking for the best way to put one up and where….

would the garage ceiling be better than a regular ceiling to install it?

• randomgurlie

October 12, 2011 at 11:09 am

@PinkPony:  I had an agent that took care of most of my bookings.  You can look for open calls and auditions but I think the very best way is networking.

Most of my career activity was in th early Internet days so wasn't able to utilize it but I'm sure now that there are ways/sites to network to find gigs, especially if you are willing to perform for very little pay.  The best way of finding gigs is by word of mouth so interactions online as well as networking through aerial and/or circus arts schools in your region.  I also suggest having more than one aerial skill.  I specialized in silks but also performed hoop and corde lisse as well as fire dancing.  Many times I'd get a call for one skill only to have them book me for another.

Make sure to get a good quality dvd made that you can send or hand out just like you would a business card or resume.  You don't have to go to great expense but make it look professional;  dvd labels for the discs and jackets can be custom ordered or made on your computer.  Include any vertical dance and aerial work you do and provide different styles;  high energy, strength focused, sensual, etc.  If you need a good photogropher or videographer, check around at local universities for a student.  

Another option is to MAKE your own opportunities.  Cold calling nightclubs, local events, burlesque and dance companies, local bands, etc. to inquire if they would be interested in featuring an aerialist. They might not even know they want an aerialist until they see what you can do!  BTW:  I got my first break cage dancing for a local band where I was spotted by someone that passed along my name.   Long story short, went on a 9 month tour with two very well known, successful rock bands!  I performed hoop, cage dancing, and fire dancing depending on the venue.  AMAZING TIMES!

Again, not too helpful, the key is to sell, sell, sell youself or find an agent (hired or someone you know acting as a manager) that can.  I worked full-time+ so I had to go with an agent.

I NEVER had practice space at home.  I worked out at home and then went to the school for practice (2-3 hours per day) but now this threat has me thinking…hm…maybe I should.  Just for fun.    =) 

Page 1 of 2