StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions What metals are in x-pole chrome?

• What metals are in x-pole chrome?

Posted by Mary Adrenaline on June 1, 2010 at 2:02 am

Please, help! I have this terrible skin allergy and I think my pole might be causing it. i can’t afford an allergy test right now so I really need some advice. I am using a 45mm chrome x-pole. I have checked the official x-pole site but I can’t find any information regarding the full materials used. Does anybody know if it is chrome plated or just plain chromium? Also,I have read that coating the pole with something might help to keep my skin protected from the nickel, in case it is chrome plated. It seems that people use some kind of solution on jewelry when they have a nickel allergy. Does anybody know anything about that or if it’s a good idea? Would it affect the grip or anything else?
    I appreciate any information you guys could give me. I’m already terrified at the thought of not being able to use my pole. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cry.gif

Mary Adrenaline replied 13 years, 11 months ago 5 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • amy

June 1, 2010 at 2:17 am

the xpole is definitely steel plated with chrome. sounds like your allergy is an issue! sorry i dont know anything about nickel allergies, but i do know that xpole is releasing a brass pole sometime soon so you should be able to buy those pole pieces to replace your chrome.

• Hsiang

June 1, 2010 at 4:03 am

Hmm I am allergic to nickel too. I didn’t consider this when getting a pole (I haven’t yet), so thanks for reminding me!! The poles I have been working on are Platinum Stage poles which are stainless steel. I know I don’t break out to that. Hope you can resolve the problem :/

• Mary Adrenaline

June 1, 2010 at 6:15 am

Oh, man! Thx, amyxshi. I wonder if X-pole has any stainless steel ones? I can only use friction poles into this apartment and I hate the gold color. Of course, I would not care anymore if that was my only option. It’s been only a day since I have stopped touching the pole and I feel like I am already going crazy… https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_shaking.gif
    No problem, Hsiang! Hopefully, somebody knows more about this. Thx, so far.

• poledanceromance

June 1, 2010 at 11:50 am

Omfg typed a huge reply and it got deleted!!!! Basically,two of the non reactive metals are titanium and stainless steel, but only if those metals are surgical/implant grade. Otherwise they will still contain plenty of nickel, sometimes as much as 5%, which is clearly enough to give you a problem. So your basic options are a tension mounted stainless from platinum stages or tg xpole or powder coat lil mynx. Bertysbooboo has one, I know they work. And the titanium coated xpole could work too. Stay away from lil mynx stainless. It’s way too slick. But the powder coated lil mynx might work; if playground poles (which are also powder coated) don’t make you react, neither will lil mynx most likely. And the one hole it leaves when you take out the "plant hook" is so easily spackle-able the landlord will never ever know. And hey, you’ll have fun at the park testing it out!

It all comes down to this: unless the stainless in question is surgical/implant grade, it will still have a higher nickel content. That’s why crappy stainless belly button rings from the mall are reactive but an implant grade stainless ring from a maker like industrial strength or a titanium ring is not reactive. So at the end of the day, you’re probably going to have to write an email to customer service asking what grade of stainless they use. I’ll post a little guide to nickel content by metal rating if you don’t already know the stainless grade scale. Otherwise you’ll probably have to go with something else.

Good luck!

• amy

June 1, 2010 at 1:02 pm

i’ve been asking xpole to make a stainless steel pole for AGES. if you send them an email and get other people to bug them they just might. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

• Mary Adrenaline

June 1, 2010 at 9:44 pm

@amyxshi: Lol, okay ! I will try.
    @poledanceromance: Hey,thx for having the patience to rewrite again. I hate when that happens too..https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_razz.gif. Yeah, pls post the nickel guide if you can. Any info is welcome. I have considered buying the lil’ minx too, I like how they look but I don’t think I can trust my ceiling for it. This apt looks like it was build with cheap materials.. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif, I wouldn’t risk it. I think I will just start saving for a titanium gold. I’ve been wearing titanium piercings for 10 years so at least I know I’m not allergic to that. Is it true that the color discolorates though and in just one year?? Is there any way to make it last longer?
    I still wish there was a cheaper solution like painting over the pole with something. Any ideas?

• SissyBuns

June 1, 2010 at 10:27 pm

i’ve been asking xpole to make a stainless steel pole for AGES. if you send them an email and get other people to bug them they just might. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

LOL recruiting more people for your "Make X-Pole go stainless" cause? LOL I hope that they finally do one day, just for you and Charley. And you both better buy your poles from me! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

• Mary Adrenaline

June 1, 2010 at 10:53 pm

LOL recruiting more people for your "Make X-Pole go stainless" cause? LOL I hope that they finally do one day, just for you and Charley. And you both better buy your poles from me! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

I just sent them an email. Maybe they will..https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_razz.gif.
    Speaking of buying poles.. how do you buy poles from StudioVeena? I can’t find anywhere and I remember seeing something about it.

• poledanceromance

June 2, 2010 at 1:54 am

Pretty simple guidelines for you because you’re so allergic. The lowest stainlessgrade that has a chance to work with metal allergies is 316L. There are higher grades than that up to those that start 316LVM. That grade means the nickel has to be contained in the inside of the metal in a way that’s inert when inside the body. 316LVM is used in pacemakers and such; it’s surgical implant grade. It or titanium will be generally the only body jewelry an allergic person can wear and not react. It’s also more expensive. So I don’t know that you would even see a stainless pole 316L or higher honestly. All stainless steel has nickel in it; it’s just a matter of what state that nickel is in. And 316L, btw, is the grade of stainless used in mall jewelry that you’ve probably had a reaction to. So if you can’t wear cheap stainless body jewelry without going crusty you definitely need 316LVM If you ask what grade of steel they use and it doesn’t begin with 316L, it’s not rated for use even as jewelry and therefore will have more of those metal compounds like nickel that can trigger a severe reaction for an allergic person. Generally industrial grade steels aren’t designed to be in prolonged contact with skin. Obviously for something like pole that’s only going to be an issue for the very allergic. 

That said, tg xpole might work. As for the finish wearing on it….it does, but not necessarily after a year. It doesn’t have that kind of set expiration date. And it tends to wear in spots that get heavy use, like where your top hand always goes. 

As far as coating or painting your xpole, I think that would damage the finish and increase the likelihood that the chrome would chip off. If chrome chips or scratches, it can’t be repaired, and can have wicked sharp edges that will destroy your hands. Even if you did paint it, you have to remember that taking apart a multiple piece pole for regular cleaning or moving could cause a reaction from handling the uncoated threads and inner parts. And you couldn’t paint the threads or joints because it would interfere with the stability or make them lock up. Ultimately, a one piece permanent pole could be your best bet down the line. For now, I would email customer service of xpole and platinum stages and see what you hear back about metal grades. If you can get an exterior finish like tg that doesn’t react, I’d go with that. And just use gloves when taking it down to clean or wash with soap and warm water and really scrub down your hands after handling the threads since I’m guessing the interiors of all these poles will be industrial grade steel. A hydrocortisone solution wouldn’t go amiss, either (benadryl ointment).

Sorry all my responses have been so wordy!       

• poledanceromance

June 2, 2010 at 1:57 am

Which all that really means at the end of the day is that not all stainless steel is alike, and be wary of anyone who assures you that you’ll be fine just because it’s "100% stainless steel". All stainless is made up of lots of different metals, so it pays to ask what grade of stainless it is.

• Mary Adrenaline

June 2, 2010 at 5:22 am

@ poledanceromance
    Hey, thx a lot. That answered most of my questions. I’m gonna research both brands better and see what I can come up with. Also, what is the grip difference between stainless steel and chrome pole? I liked my 45mm chrome one but i was thinking to go with the 50mm this time, which I never used before. Would it be more or less slippery than chrome? I’ve never seen them compared this way, only to brass or tg.