StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions I see stars in iguana/pencil mount

• I see stars in iguana/pencil mount

Posted by Invertedmonkey on September 16, 2014 at 4:22 pm

So pretty much always when I do the iguana/pencil mount up and then back down the pole again, I see little flashing stars dance in front of my eyes when I’ve come down. Only lasts for a few seconds and otherwise I’m fine so I normally just wait it out and carry on. I only get it in this move. A bit weird. Anyone else get this or has any clues as to why I might be getting it?

Lustyzins replied 9 years, 7 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Lucca Valentine

September 16, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Hmmmm are you maybe holding your breath when you do it?

• Lucca Valentine

September 16, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Be sure to exhale as you go up and exhale as you go down and to breathe while you are holding the pose….and be careful! A girl I do yoga with burst a blood vessel in her eye because of the increased pressure in her eyes/head while inverting

• Veena

Administrator
    September 16, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Yes, BREATHE! It’s super common to for us to hold our breath because we’re so focused on the move it’s self! 😡 try working on elbow or handstands to become accustom to breathing while inverted.

• Invertedmonkey

September 17, 2014 at 10:50 am

Hmm I might be holding my breath In that one now that I think about it. It’s the only invert I do that in though, odd! I’ll try again with the breathing and if it doesn’t help, I’m thinking I’ll just put this in my list of not for me moves :p thanks ladies!

• Cuwoody

September 17, 2014 at 6:03 pm

It may be a rapid switch in blood flow to and away from the head. Also, if you are putting the back of you’re head against the pole and applying too much pressure you may be putting pressure on the occipital lobe. It is located around the same area that is against the when doing an iguana mount. It is the principal as seeing flashes of light/stars, etc after receiving a blow to the back of the head.

• Lustyzins

September 17, 2014 at 8:25 pm

This happens to me as well in this move only. The closed placement of the arms shuts off the secondary respiratory muscles in some people (scalenes). People with thoracic outlet syndrome have the same response. I now only do my “iguana” as a one arm press instead, strong arm on the pole, other hand on the floor. It took a while to condition my strength, but no more stars! Hope this helps!!!! 🙂