StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Bad poling day :(

• Bad poling day :(

Posted by Allgold78 on September 16, 2014 at 7:01 am

I’m so annoyed. A day to myself, did some stuff and then planned to have a nice big pole session. Get my gear on, get my groove on, warmed up, then…… nothing! Couldn’t do anything. Now I’m not very advanced but I couldn’t even get myself into a basic plank. I could cry! Please tell me there are others here that have that problem???

Allgold78 replied 9 years, 7 months ago 8 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Pretty Pixie

September 16, 2014 at 7:45 am

Oh yes!! You’re not alone! I have days where everything I try works out and then there are days when every attempt is thwarted by something or another (generally sweat, ugh, or tired muscles)! It’s just the way it works. I usually just accept what I can’t change and come back to it the next day. You will overcome whatever it is keeping you down this session, don’t worry!

• Allgold78

September 16, 2014 at 7:56 am

Oh really, thank goodness. It feels so bizarre that some days I can do some bigger technical moves and yet today not even a pole sit for very long. And as for inverting – I managed to cut my wrist with my nail in the process of attempting that – don’t ask me how, I have no idea! I wanted to crack on through some of the lessons on here and learn some new stuff. I guess today is not the day!

• I polekat I

September 16, 2014 at 9:19 am

aww love i feel your pain!! it always seems to happen to me more when i pole at home rather than at class, which is annoying because you are trying to improve in your own time but cant seem to even get back to the same level u were at in your last session! i dont know why but things always seem harder / more painful / more tiring at home on your own =/ then u get really frustrated and it makes it worse! i have literally stormed off cursing my sweatiness & too slippy pole after less than 10 mins before because i was so wound up and just could not do anything, not even a simple spin =P but then i came back after 20 mins after i had got dressed and tried a few spins and it felt much better after i had relaxed a bit cooled my head (and the pole haa!) =) so some days i have the worst session but then just take a step back and come back to it later and it feels better =) some things i find which help when i am really struggling to get motivated or just physically struggling full stop: just drop the tricks, put on a tune i love and just freestyle – no pressure, just movement and flow. i get so sweaty freestyling as it is i usually cant do much but i love just moving around the pole and trying to increase my stamina. The more i freestyle, the more i enjoy it and want to freestyle more ! also watching some vids of other polers can really help gee me up when im feeling meh and always makes me eager to jump on the pole myself =)
    Also finally, you are definitely not alone!!! there are other threads on here discussing this same issue – we all feel like this at times !!!! =) =) =) Pole is bloody hard! I think a lot of the time we don’t give ourselves the appreciation and respect for that and all we have achieved =)

ps. sorry for the essay… =P xoxox

• Bendy Bella

September 16, 2014 at 10:22 am

not a pole dancer (yet) but I 2nd what polekat said: on days you’re having problems with the pole, try free styling and working on floor work…I would like to be good at all aspects of pole dancing; the pole and the dancing lol. I def plan to learn some ballet turns and some of the cool rollover/flips used in floor work

• Veena

Administrator
    September 16, 2014 at 10:37 am

Every pole dancer has bad days, it’s part of the process but still very frustrating!! Just know you’re not alone and it will get better!

• Phoenix Hunter

September 16, 2014 at 12:14 pm

totally! this happens frequently! it doesnt mean anything so dont worry about it. 🙂 I will have a crap day then two days later I will have the best day ever. I’ve learned to not even worry about it when it happens because it is temporary. on crap days like that just remember that you are still progressing because you are buidling your muscles and muscle memory. some days when i cant do anything right I will just climb the pole over and over and try to make it look pretty. anything you can do on the pole is good, you are developing strength and grip. And yes, it happens more often at home. if i havent poled at home in a while it will take me a few sessions at home to get in a good groove. then once i’m good at home I might suck the next time I go to the studio. haha! many things can influence your poling. I feel temperature control is a major factor at home. it is hot at home right now and my little portable air conditioner barely helps. it is much more humid at home too. sometimes, just having my surroundings tidy at home will help too. if my room’s a mess it affects my poling. poling is just as much psychological as it is physical. dont worry about it at all. you havent lost your pole mojo. 🙂

• grayeyes

September 16, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Ditto what others have said. Happens to me too. Usually my strength isn’t quite up to snuff so I just work on something non-strength related.

• PoleLeo

September 16, 2014 at 2:52 pm

One of my first ever freestyles I posted I literally was curled around the pole (fetal position) crying my eyes and asking myself why??? A song came on, I got up and started dancing and reluctantly posted the vid here on SV. First of all the amount of support and encouragement that all the amazing Veeners gave me blew me away. I danced in a troupe for 10 years with girls I grew up with and never had that amount of support. So many amazing dancers/polers on here were commenting that they all have been there and to not let it get to me bc theres always next practice. Honestly even the next practices may not be great but the ladies comments on here are absolutely right, we suck one day and the next we’re friggin champions rockin the pole, floor, and flow. The one thing you have to remember is this practice does not define who you are and what you can do, this practice is just a reminder that were not machines, were humans who one day kick ass and one day get our asses kicked. The main thing is that if after that shitty practice you still have that drive and passion to try again next time then that is what defines you as a poler, dancer, and individual. On days I suck at pole I turn it into a floor day or stretch day, that seems to appease my controlling mind. 😉 Just remember we all suffer from crappy practices!

• Allgold78

September 17, 2014 at 5:51 am

Thank you beautiful ladies, you’re all right, I totally know it. Maybe I was tired, maybe I didn’t have enough energy, maybe the pole was cold, maybe the pole was hot, maybe it was because I was at home and not in the studio, maybe I just need a bloomin rest!!! It could be so many things couldn’t it. And as much as I don’t want to think of anyone struggling I’m glad to hear there are others that feel the same sometimes.

I’ve started the 30 day abs challenge and 30 day take off today so I’m going back to the start, building myself up again. Freestyle floorwork is definitely something I need to work on so I’m going to do more than that too.

Love this site – thank you for the support xxx