StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions pole came down while I was on it–but I was lucky

• pole came down while I was on it–but I was lucky

Posted by grayeyes on September 25, 2017 at 8:04 pm

Just a reminder in case other folks are a bit complacent like me. Yesterday my Lil Mynx pole came down while I was spinning on it. Thank heavens I was upright for once. I landed on the floor on my butt holding the pole up with one hand waiting for it to crash down on the giant mirror I landed in front of. Luckily I was holding it high enough to not break the mirror. Scratched the ceiling and gouged the wall. I didn’t realize how much it scared me until my husband came in and took the pole from me and I finally took a deep breath. Obviously all sorts of bad things could have happened depending on what position I might have been in so I was very lucky and not hurt at all.

So what I probably should be doing every time is giving my pole a good yank or even heavy spin or something to check it. My philosophy has always been that if the position of the pole was good and solid and nothing has changed I shouldn’t mess with it one way or the other. I normally never take the pole down but I’m selling my house so it’s been up and down a lot for showings. Lil Mynx poles are adjusted by turning the top of the pole to extend it or make it shorter. I’m sure somehow or another it has perhaps turned during the moving of it or maybe the house or board the mount is screwed into has shifted. Whatever it is, it scared me and I’m grateful nothing happened but wanted to remind others to check their pole each time. Seems obvious but I really don’t do that. Honestly I wasn’t sure how to check it. I can look at it but it didn’t look any different yesterday when I climbed all the way up to clean it when I started. Interestingly, during my usual warm up I do fling myself hard into an upright, low spin nearly every time but didn’t do it yesterday. That almost certainly would have revealed the problem.

I’m sure Veena or others have a better idea of how to check for safety. Sorry so long.

Neesy118 replied 6 years, 7 months ago 6 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    September 25, 2017 at 8:54 pm

I’m glad you’re ok!!!! I had my permanent Platinum stages pole come down with me on it. Like I was lucky like you and was upright so I jumped off in time! For me, we didn’t account for the carpeting smashing down and when we measured for the pole it ended up being a little too short!

It’s a great thing to remind people to check their pole.

Grayeyes, I think you have the right idea! Here’s my little check list I use for my pole or on a pole that isn’t mine. Like in a bar or some public place. Often they neglect maintaining their poles.

1 I Push and pull on it (hard) Listening for clunking and feeling for too much give.
    2 I Check to see how slick it is (This is more for public poles)
    3 I Climb it (to inspect the top) Listening again for clunking or visually loose anything.
    4 I do a spin (something that is powerful but yet manageable if it need to bail.
    5 Every few pole sessions I check the joints.

I can usually feel right away if there is something up with my pole. When I used to take my lil mynx up and down a lot I would need to give it a twist up (to lengthen) every few sessions. I’m guessing it moves a bit from the motion of putting it up and down?

Thank you again for the reminder!! This would make a great SV FB group post if you were so inclined!

• grayeyes

September 25, 2017 at 9:06 pm

Veena, you’re welcome to put it on FB. I’m the only person in the world not on Facebook. 🙂

• Veena

Administrator
    September 25, 2017 at 9:57 pm

LOL No worries! I share it out to the group then. 🙂

• LatinPoler

September 26, 2017 at 2:33 am

grayeyes, glad to hear you are OK. My xstage is so noisy and wobbly that sometimes it scares me a little. I don’t climb high on spinning because of that. My hubby checked it short time ago and said it was fine. Good idea the spin to test! I usually do some knee tucks or basic inverts to at the end of my warm up but I think I’m going to add tuck spins or firemen…

• StrangeFox

September 26, 2017 at 3:55 am

Glad you didn’t get hurt! When I first installed my pole I had it shift across the ceiling and that was scary enough for me! Thank goodness it didn’t come all the way down. The funny thing was it was fine while I was climbing and sitting – it was chair spin that set it off. I always tug on my pole before I use it and do a couple of spins that involve pushing on the pole like chair or carousel.

• grayeyes

September 27, 2017 at 2:27 am

Thanks, ladies. I definitely was lucky. Most of my bigger falls at least involve a trip to the chiropractor but I literally didn’t hurt or bruise a thing on this one. We got it tightened up now and when I screwed up my courage to fling myself again it stayed solid.

Be safe. 🙂

• SweetLavender

September 27, 2017 at 2:53 am

I have a x-pole & a Minx pole. My Minx (purple Veena pole) is my favorite as it is powder coated. My Minx came down when I had my Pole Aria attached to it & put a hole in the ceiling. If your using your Minx on spin you need to make sure the extender is extended enough (it can shorten on spin after a while). Check it each time you put up. For me I need 2 1/2 extension & believe me I check it every time I put it up now😬. My x-pole just spins to fast and is chrome which I hate.

• Neesy118

September 27, 2017 at 8:24 pm

so scary, glad you’re ok. And thanks for the reminder, will be checking my pole today