StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Writing down choreography

• Writing down choreography

Posted by Runemist34 on April 19, 2018 at 1:20 am

Hey everyone!
    I’m curious… do you have any tips on writing down choreo?
    I see so many awesome dances out there, and while I may not want to copy the music and the beats exactly, I’d love to be able to get those movements into my repertoire!
    I try to write them down, but it gets a little… confusing, sometimes!

Colleen Larson replied 5 years, 12 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • polegramma

April 19, 2018 at 1:26 am

Somewhere in the lessons, I think in Veena’s Tips, Veena has a lesson about how to create your own routine. I’ve used it a few times and it really helps keep you on track and successful with your choreo.

• Runemist34

April 19, 2018 at 2:05 am

Unfortunately, I don’t have Veena’s lessons. I’m not really making my own choreography yet, just copying other people. Since a lot of the videos I’m enjoying are on IG, it’s hard to follow them. I’m trying to write them down so it’s easier!
    Just wondering if anyone had tips on how to do that in a way that wasn’t… confusing, or incomplete.

• tielz18896

April 20, 2018 at 5:09 pm

I have a notebook filling up with choreography taken from YouTube and IG. I save them to my favorites first. Then I make a note on each one as to where it was found. Sometimes I will put in parenthesis what hand/leg goes where for what move. I also have been known to draw a little stick figure of how to do a move. Anything that helps you to remember.

I highly recommend purchasing a Veena sub when they go on sale if you can manage it. This site is well worth the price for at your fingertips excellent tutorial information overload.

• Runemist34

April 20, 2018 at 8:45 pm

That makes sense. That’s mostly what I’m doing right now.
    I actually had a subscription here years ago, but had to stop. I don’t have an income currently, so I can’t afford… anything, really. But, I know how valuable these lessons can be 😉

• tielz18896

April 21, 2018 at 2:31 am

I understand. I am unsure as to whether I can afford a sub after this first year. 🙁 Have you seen The Pole Dancer (Miglena) on Instagram or YouTube? She has some really great tutorials available at no cost. I actually started with hers before I found this site.

• Colleen Larson

April 22, 2018 at 2:40 pm

I use an Excel spread sheet. I have my song and then I divide the song in sections. Pole moves I like are divided into the sections. ~~~ And to chime in on Veena’s lessons, do whatever you can to get back into them. I take pole dancing lessons at a physical studio, but Veena’s lessons are a great supplement.